IGNORED

Tank Bags.

Polo

I am thinking about a tank bag for my 2004 R1150RT.

I remember having seen the type that either snaps onto a crown installed in place of the gas filler hardware, or another that flips up from a mount also installed in place of the gas filler hardware.

I await your knowledge. TIA

The first one you mention is the Marsee Corona. It comes in several sizes. The second is by a member here on the board "BigMak" and is no longer in production.

The first one you mention is the Marsee Corona. It comes in several sizes. The second is by a member here on the board "BigMak" and is no longer in production.

True, not in production at this time. But Mark posted here on the board a few weeks ago. Perhaps, if all works out, he'll be back in production, while we are still riding :)

I usually just use a map case, but I had a small magnetic tank bag laying around the garage, so I attached a few large flat washers to the bottom of my center tank cover. The tank bag sticks just fine.

just picked up the Marsee 20l Corona on Monday for my '04 RT.

Big improvement over the stock BMW bag in the way it mounts. Stock bag relies on rubberband type hook straps for the front that get loose in a short amount of time. Rear zipper mount is very good though.

Marsee Appears to be very, very well made. I did like the shape of the stock bag in terms of allowing full movement of the bars without hitting the bag. More long and a bit narrow, following the lines of the bike maybe a little better. The Marsee is more oval in shape. Zippers are over-zize and should last a lifetime. Mine came with the rain cover, an extra pouch that attaches to the bag and even a Marsee wallet. Nice!

Didn't like the way the Marsee bag is slightly elevated but since it doesn't touch the tank, I don't need that scratch protective layer I used to use on the stock system.

The Marsee touches the windshield swich when full left but nothing full right. And I really like the way the Marsee expands. When you expand it, you use the left and right pull strings to tighten it back down. When I would fully load the BMW bag, it got real loose on top and this was always a concern.

Overall, I would sas the stock BMW bag might hold more stuff and the map holder is larger, but the Marsee is much more rigid.

Hope that helps,

RPG

+1 (or2) on the Bags Connection tank bags.

Another +1.

Unfortunately, for the R1200RT, the only tank bag that works well is the (expensive) BMW R1200RT tank bag.

I feel the same way about my $400 BMW RT tank bag with the 50 cent zipper and the 25 cent yellowing map pocket.

I am now on my second bag because the zipper on the first one failed and the wet map pocket got too close to a baseboard heater (my fault). When the two way zipper on the second one failed, I took it into a shoe repair store and they replaced the zipper pull and made it a one way zipper. Works fine for me, but I am glad this thread is here in case I have to get a third bag.

The map pocket is not water proof, nor is the main bag.

Maybe now that Triumph and Moto Guzzi are chasing the RT market, BMW may start looking over their shoulder and make some of their dedicated products better.

Maybe now that Triumph and Moto Guzzi are chasing the RT market, BMW may start looking over their shoulder and make some of their dedicated products better.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My BMW tank bag for my 2005 R1200RT was stolen from my garage two days ago. Does anyone have one for sale in reasonably good condition? It's the bag that just clicks on and is specific for the newer RT's only. Also, my owners manual was inside the bag. Does anyone have a source for a new owners manual. Or maybe a download available in PDF form?

I have a Wolfman explorer on my 2002. I like it a lot! Lots of room in there and it fits the shape of the tank. I bought it because it fits my Kawasaki KLR as well. I didn't use it on the BMW for quite a while because I thought it might scratch the tank but I've had no problems so far. If you turn the bars to far to the left it will engage the horn bitten and startle the heck out of me though!

My BMW tank bag for my 2005 R1200RT was stolen from my garage two days ago. Does anyone have one for sale in reasonably good condition? It's the bag that just clicks on and is specific for the newer RT's only. Also, my owners manual was inside the bag. Does anyone have a source for a new owners manual. Or maybe a download available in PDF form?

Keep an eye out here in the classified section, as they they do pop up when folks sell their RT's or just don't like bag itself.

Owner's manuals sorted by VIN here: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html

Your '05 RT should have 0388 in the VIN.

Larry

The Bags Connection was a bit pricey for me since I need to move the bag between 2 bikes. I recently bought the GIVI T480 Tank Lock system. I like that this bag is narrower at the front than the rear. I may still need a horn guard on the RT though.

GIVI T480

Archived