IGNORED

Using a NUVI as GPS--questions

bobbybob

Been a while since I had any dealings with Garmin. To those who have bought Nuvi's in last 2-3 years for Nav & esp. creating routes:

1) Is Basecamp the *only option for route creation, or is Mapsource still available (i.e. loading the unit mapbase to your computer)

2) Is Basecamp decent for creating routes, or is it a royal PITA ?

3) If Mapsource is still an option with Nuvi's, how?? Is the software included with the purchase? Cause Garmin has sure taken it off their website.

4) Which model did you buy?

Any other comments are appreciated. Some riding buddies suddenly got interested in ridin' & routin'.

Thanks! :wave:

I bought the Zumo 665 and it came with the North America Map CD. Not sure how I got Mapsource to create the routes but I have it. Maybe it was installed from the Map CD. Base Camp I down loaded from the web site. It too is used to create routes. Both route tools are similar in function and feel but do have differences. I began using Mapsource first and have become pretty good at it. My understanding is the Mapsource will vanish. Not sure why. Basecamp will become the only route tool. Makes sense to have only one. I guess I should start using it more to become proficient.

Been a while since I had any dealings with Garmin. To those who have bought Nuvi's in last 2-3 years for Nav & esp. creating routes:

1) Is Basecamp the *only option for route creation, or is Mapsource still available (i.e. loading the unit mapbase to your computer)

2) Is Basecamp decent for creating routes, or is it a royal PITA ?

3) If Mapsource is still an option with Nuvi's, how?? Is the software included with the purchase? Cause Garmin has sure taken it off their website.

4) Which model did you buy?

Any other comments are appreciated. Some riding buddies suddenly got interested in ridin' & routin'.

Thanks! :wave:

I have a nuvi and I downloaded base camp from garmins website. Map source is no longer available. You need to check the specs on the Nuvi, most of them will not take routes. You can overcome this by putting in final destination and adding waypoints starting from the end and working back to start, but that is very time consuming and in my opinion a royal PITA.

...You need to check the specs on the Nuvi, most of them will not take routes. You can overcome this by putting in final destination and adding waypoints starting from the end and working back to start, but that is very time consuming and in my opinion a royal PITA.

I agree. I should have said in my original post, "anyone who bought a Nuvi that WOULD handle routes." As that is the intent, as opposed to spending 2-3 times as much for a Zumo.

FWIW, I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 1490 for the last couple years as the primary GPS on the bike, in the car and in our RV. It handles a bunch of routes and works well with both Mapsource and Basecamp.

I've never had an issue with using the Nuvi on the bike. The only feature that the 1490 doesn't have is blue tooth for the turn notices, but honestly, the damn thing is soooo loud when the volume is set to 100% that even my wife can hear it over the Sena intercom on her bike behind me.

I used a ram mount to hold the GPS up on the dash of the bike. The power cord that I used (from Amazon) isn't the "official" Garmin cord (cuz i'm cheep) but it works just fine - the GPS will boot into data mode for the first 30 seconds, then it powers up to GPS mode.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and wouldn't even consider buying a Zumo for the bike.

I bought a Garmin factory reconditioned Nuvi 855 (for $79) about 1 1/2 years ago and it came with all the normal map discs as well as Mapsource,and it routes perfectly.

I currently own 5 Garmin units (2 Zumo 550, 1 SP2730 and 2 SP2720) but don't own any of the Nuvi series. Nuvi units are fully capable of having custom MapSource (M.S.) routes uploaded, so long as a licensed copy of City Navigator (C.N.) is on your 'puter (I prefer DVD version) to create those route(s). My opinion of BaseCamp (included with C.N.) is that its intended for handheld GPS units with limited built-in map storage, thus the need to upload specific intended regions not needed on GPS units with built-in 49 States map details. I helped a couple of buddies this year with their Nuvi units (for tow vehicles with travel trailers like mine) by creating how-to tutorials with screenshots from M.S. pasted into Word docs. Both are navigating their own custom routes now with Nuvi devices.

I bought a NUVI 1490 to replace a broken BMW Nav3. I haven't really bothered with the routes function. One issue you should be aware of is it's bluetooth is NOT compatable with any headsets. On the plus side its been fine in rain on my RT behind the windshield. No complaints and I love the big screen.

I bought a NUVI 1490 to replace a broken BMW Nav3. I haven't really bothered with the routes function. One issue you should be aware of is it's bluetooth is NOT compatable with any headsets. On the plus side its been fine in rain on my RT behind the windshield. No complaints and I love the big screen.

Well, what the heck is it compatible WITH ?

For that matter--what are all NUVI's compatible with (Bluetooth-wise)? What I am trying to do is sync the nuvi with a Bluetooth headset (Sena SMH10) or SR10.

Which also begs the question--what Bluetooth profiles do ZUMO's support??

Hmm, AFAIK, the Nuvi models do not support any bluetooth headset communications for navigation, only for telephone calls. If Garmin were to see fit to add this function, they'd sure sell more of them.

I've given some thought to hacking my 1490 with an audio out port in parallel with the speaker to drive an aftermarket BT dongle xmitter - which would pair to my Sena headset but honestly on the 1490 simply turning up the volume to 100% works just fine even over road noise and my -30db earplugs :grin:

So only B-T for cell phones. Thanks Mark. But I don't care a crap about THAT! Come on Garmin, get with the program...are ya even *listening* any more?? Jeez

Hopefully the Zumo's aren't as handicapped in the B-T department....? Anyone?

"I used a ram mount to hold the GPS up on the dash of the bike. The power cord that I used (from Amazon) isn't the "official" Garmin cord (cuz i'm cheep) but it works just fine - the GPS will boot into data mode for the first 30 seconds, then it powers up to GPS mode." - quote

Did you wire the unit directly to the battery or into an accessory outlet? I was told that Nuvi's were 5 volts and needed to be stepped down in order to work. (If that's true I guess it's somewhere in the original power cord?) Also the Amazon Cat number for the wire would be appreciated, Thanks

Get a cheep $20.00 Bluetooth dongle and plug it in the side of nuvi. It will pair with the headset.

Good try but 1) most Nuvi's have no audio output jack 2) thats just another item to keep charged up.

I am coming to the conclusion that Garmin has arranged their offering so there's really no way to get all the stuff I want in a unit that costs less than about $650. Those things are 1) routing ability and 2) audio output jack OR 3) headset-protocol Bluetooth for audio. The Zumo's DO support the B-T headset protocol but Nuvi's don't.

Waterproof is not a requisite.

malcolmblalock

While it is a bit dated, the StreetPilot 2720 has what you want for a very modest price. Actually, it does things that the $650 devices don't do, particularly in customizing its settings. Not a Nuvi, though.

While it is a bit dated, the StreetPilot 2720 has what you want for a very modest price. Actually, it does things that the $650 devices don't do, particularly in customizing its settings. Not a Nuvi, though.

Did you buy it used? If so, where? If Ebay, who was seller?

Thanks.

malcolmblalock

Yes, it came from eBay, but I don't now have the information on the seller. I think they are getting a little more scarce because it took a few days of searching before one popped up. I'd Google and eBay for a few days and one will show up. Should be in the $100 +/- $20 or so.

They have been out of production for several years, so a used or possibly refurb will be your only options. My last one was used and I paid $112 for it. I keep one as a spare because the touch screen will eventually fail and it's not readily fixable. Still, IMO, the best motorcycle GPS out there.

Good luck!

Archived