IGNORED

Throttlemeister adjustments - how do you do it?

Scarecrow

My throttlemeister no longer 'holds'. If I turn on the grip warmer, it will, but cold - nope. I am sure there is some simple adjustment I can do, but I have no clue how. I've taken off the silver end thingee

201209170571bmwst.jpg

thinking there would be something obvious under it. It may be obvious to someone else but not me. This is what I see when I take it off:

201209170572bmwst.jpg

201209170573bmwst.jpg

201209170575bmwst.jpg

I have no clue what I'm looking at. Can someone enlighten me? Do I need to take off the whole grip? And if so, how do I do that?

Any help would be appreciagted. I thought I could wait for a tech daze to roll around, but would like to make it happen sooner if I can.

TIA,

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Loosen the grip/throttle assembly and slide it to the right just a hair. Maybe two. You shouldn't need much.

It works with warm grips due to expansion. That's why you don't need much adjustment.

I did mine yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind. The switchgear in your photo looks like it's an oilhead.

1. Remove the small phillips screw on the lower backside of the switch assembly, and pull back the switch cover

2. Loosen the allen screw that clamps the brake lever/throttle 3. assembly to the handlebar

4. Turn the Throttlemeister ~1/4 turn (this should move the throttle assembly in slightly)

5. Tighten the allen screw

6. Check Throttlemeister

Repeat steps 22-6 until you are satisfied with the result.

I used a couple or three business cards as a a feeler guage/spacer to set the gap once the brake lever assembly is loosened. If it's too tight when the grip heater is warmed up and giving you a sticky throttle, add a small washer that will fit flush inside the throttlemeister to give it a little extra space.

------

Here's a link to their instructions.

I did mine yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind. The switchgear in your photo looks like it's an oilhead.

1. Remove the small phillips screw on the lower backside of the switch assembly, and pull back the switch cover

2. Loosen the allen screw that clamps the brake lever/throttle 3. assembly to the handlebar

4. Turn the Throttlemeister ~1/4 turn (this should move the throttle assembly in slightly)

5. Tighten the allen screw

6. Check Throttlemeister

Repeat steps 2-6 until you are satisfied with the result.

Thank you all for the responses. (Algover - yes this site is truly amazing) Thanks for the link to the instructions from DiggerJim

and for the step by step by Selden. Much appreciated. Now I just have to get all 10 of my thumbs coordinated enough to do it.

Thank you all for the responses. (Algover - yes this site is truly amazing) Thanks for the link to the instructions from DiggerJim

and for the step by step by Selden. Much appreciated. Now I just have to get all 10 of my thumbs coordinated enough to do it.

Seriously, it's a 5-minute job, requiring less skill than changing the spark plugs. The trick is to find the "just right" gap, small enough that you can still engage the TM when cold, but large enough that it doesn't bind when the grip heaters are on high. If you don't get it right on the first try, very little effort to adjust it again.

FAILURE!!

When I say I am all thumbs, I mean it. I couldn't even do what should be a 5 minute job. I found 2 small philips screws under the switch assembly. I got those out (only after dropping each one and luckily finding them on the floor) but then couldn't see the next step (allen screw). grrrrr. So I decided rather than really push my luck, I would just put the plate back on with the 2 screws. but nooooooooooo! Not I. I managed to drop the small black screw somewhere inside the bike. Actually I dropped it about 4 times, managing to find it on 3 of those. The 4th one -- nope. Have no idea where inside the engine the thing is.

This is why I like to do these things at a Tech Daze; so I have someone around to help bail me out. F*ck me!

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm just hopeless.

If I only had a brain (and coordination). . .

I have a Throttlemeister myself, but not on an RT. I have it on my C14 with heated grips. Maybe the BMW application is different but with most of the bike installs there is a hard plastic sleeve that slides under the rubber grip and over the bar, and provides a solid friction contact point for the Throttlemeister bar end. I omitted that initially, bad mistake - installed it and it works fine.

Still not as good as a real cruise control though.

Archived