IGNORED

Wheels with TPM semsors

Luma46

Hi there.

I am just about to install the Shinko Raven rear radial tire on my 2009 RT. I have done this job few times before (not on the RT) including balancing the tire with the Marc Parnes balancer. However, with the TPM sensor on the rim, I am wondering if there is a recommended procedure. My main questions would be:

1) After I break the bead, at what point relevant to the sensor should I start dismounting the old tire?

2) Anything special to pay attention when mounting the new tire?

3) Could somebody refresh my memory if the red dot/circle on the tire indicates the heaviest or the lightest point?

Thanks,

Can't address 1 or 2, but the dot/circle normally goes next to the valve stem, which would be the heaviest point of the wheel and, conversely, the lightest part of the tire. Be advised that with the TPM, several weights will have to be placed on the opposite side of the valve stem, to counteract the weight of the TPM module.

Can't address 1 or 2, but the dot/circle normally goes next to the valve stem, which would be the heaviest point of the wheel and, conversely, the lightest part of the tire. Be advised that with the TPM, several weights will have to be placed on the opposite side of the valve stem, to counteract the weight of the TPM module.

Unless it's an OEM TPM install, in which case the rims are typically pre-counterweighted to offset the TPM unit.

1) After I break the bead, at what point relevant to the sensor should I start dismounting the old tire?

2) Anything special to pay attention when mounting the new tire?

3) Could somebody refresh my memory if the red dot/circle on the tire indicates the heaviest or the lightest point?

I have Doran's on my R12GS and use a Nomar. Assuming I'm moving the demount bar-tip clockwise as I look down at the tire---with the TPM sensor at 12 oclock, I start the tip around 4 oclock and the tire is usually loose by 9 clock. Then I carefully pull the lower side of the tire up past the TPS and start the demount tip a short distance past it. Keep the tire & demount tip away from the sensor.

When mounting, standing with the sensor directly in front of me, I pull the bottom side of tire over the bead AND the sensor, then press the other side of the tire down until the bottom side pops over the rest of the wheel. Then (still standing wth sensor in front of me) to mount the top side, I secure the tire in place with a ratchet strap around the wheel & tire--tightly--to the right of the sensor just past the closest wheel spoke; then start the mount tool as far around the tire (to the left) as I can push it on by hand. It usually pops on the wheel as you approach the ratchet strap.

I have YET to find a marking on any of my tires indicating heavy or light spots. I think its a myth. :grin:

Archived