IGNORED

Installed BMW Nav IV on the new R1200RT

RAINEY

Yesterday I had the BMW Navigator IV installed on my new RT. I really like the way the dealer installed it using the proper mounts and connected everything. It is easy to use with gloves and simple to operate since it has very similar icons and prompts as my other garmins. I tried it our going to a couple destinations and like some of the new features. My older Nuvi's didn't advise me of the local speed limit. This one shows the speed limit and your current speed actually turns red if you exceed the posted speed limit. Also cool how it shows you an image if the next interchange with signange almost like whats on the road.

Now my next challenge is to figure out how to get it to communicate through my audio system. I think the bluetooth is supposed to sync so that I can hear the prompts through my speakers. I tried last night and couldn't figure that part out. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Jason

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Jason

If you have the audio system, it should do that automatically. That is, if they connected both harnesses below the dash. One connector is power and the other is the integrated sound.

If you look under there, on the horizontal truss there should be three connectors. Two should be used and one open.

I like miny too but wish it got Netflix. :rofl:

Alternative to routing Nav audio through the audio system: directly pair the Nav IV to the helmet.

I do this so the radio does not have to be on all the time. This also means I don't need to have the radio on to have my phone (paired to the Nav IV) available.

Jason

If you have the audio system, it should do that automatically. That is, if they connected both harnesses below the dash. One connector is power and the other is the integrated sound.

If you look under there, on the horizontal truss there should be three connectors. Two should be used and one open.

So if the radio is on I should be able to hear the prompts? Or is there a setting for it?

Thank you,

Jason

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I didn't do anything to mine to "set it". However, in the system or control panel icon or whatever it is, there is one for volume. If it is set at zero, well, you might not hear much at all.

The master volume is set at 100. I wonder why it's not coming through the speakers. It appears that the dealer connected it properly. I will have to stop in tomorrow and have it looked at.

Thanks for your input and suggestions

There are two volumes on the ZUMO ... the one from the bottom left pushbutton which comes up with the "bars" from top to bottom, and the one under the system/"wrench" icon which you need to turn up the NAV volume to 80-100.

Jason

I asked the dealer about the audio coming through the audio system without setting it up as bluetooth and he said that he hasn't heard of a direct hard wire for the RT. However you say it works so I'm thinking the dealer might be incorrect.

The dealer checked into a couple things and called me and said that they may have missed a wire in the connection.

Also. does the multi-controller control any navigation functions? In the September 2012 Rider magazine the featured article was on the 2012 R1200RT and it made mention that the thumb controller controlled some nav function too.

This is my post from the Sena forum:

Anyone get this to work on an RT. I have a 2012 RT with BMW Navigator IV, BMW Radio option, Sena SMH10 (v. 4.1.1)and iPhone 4s. I read that the 1600 radio and the RT's radio are different and that the above configurations won't work on the RT. Anyone know? I have been trying most of today to listen to the BMW radio through my helmet's SMH10 (v. 4.1.1). No joy. It says at the bottom of Sena's instructions: "BMW's GPS system will work as a standalone Bluetooth device. Connecting SMH10 to GPS will limit BMW's radio audio to BMW's built in speakers. to pair/connect SMH10 to GPS, refer to demo video .....etc."

I presume this means that I cannot listen to the BMW radio though the SMH10 and into my helmet? ? In other words, if I pair through the GPS, I cannot listen to the BMW radio via bluetooth, only through the bike's external speakers?

Really would appreciate how to get the above devices to work together.

Any help on how to set this all up. I want to be able to listen to the bikes radio via bluetooth and hear gps direction prompts, intercom to my passenger, and, of course use my iphone as a phone.

Thanks. ddp

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Dean

In general, I've been pretty disappointed at the ability, and exclusion, of bluetooth technology. Each guy seems to have his own protocol and many of the incompatibilities are TBD.

With the 12RT, I got my Scala G4 to work 2, maybe 3 times out of more than 50 tries. This includes resets on the fly. The speakers were getting a workout as a result.

I now have the J&M system for two. It is pricey but, not as much as the SRS and C3 helmets for two combined. Even then, I'd be a prisoner to Cardo who I now have a distaste for.

Thanks. This stuff is maddening. On the positive side, the Sena works great as a intercom and phone to helmet device. It just seems crazy that the configuration for the BMW radio/Navigator IV is so problematic.

I've got the Scala G9 on my 2012 RT. (one rider, no pillion)

BMW audio paired to helmet, GPS Nav IV paired to helmet, iPhone 4s paired to GPS. The only drawback being BMW's 'weak' bluetooth devise. But it all works.

Interesting. Maybe the Scala works better than the Sena. I think the Sena will only work with your setup if the GPS NavIV is not paired to anything. I think that the BMW radio will provide the GPS verbal directions.

I am not sure whether the iPhone can be paired to the GPS without messing things up.

Archived