IGNORED

want / need heated grips

randy

I need to install some heated grips on my Tuono. I do not want the type that wrap around the handle bar, then you put actual grips over. Want heated grips (like my RT) were the heating element is built into the grip. I also have bar end mirrors on my Tuono so need open end design. I have googled and looked at numerous products, just wondering if anyone has real world experience they might share with me.

No.

have you compared bar diameter to see if another bike w that same diameter makes. heated grips?

If so buy those OEM parts and install.

good luck.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Those of us who have RTs that didn't come with heated grips have done the upgrade using the heater elements and original grips.

your correct, I will check that tonight. work has been long hours all week. Of course that is my ideal situation, that the Tuono bar diameter matches something I like. My concern is the bar end mirrors. If I remember correctly the RT grips were closed in. Not sure if any of the elements run into the end of the grip. If not I could cut if out.

I have Hot Grips, http://www.hotgrips.com/ on two of my bikes. I find that they are warmer than BMW factory grips due to the isolation ribs in the grip that reduce heat loss through the bars. They have several styles and are available with open ends if desired. Plus they are made in the USA!

I have used the Oxford Original heated grips on my wife's previous VTR 250 and know of others who have them mounted on other sports bikes.

They are very well made and actually have a larger range of heat settings then your standard BMW grips with just two settings.

They worked excellent and I have to install another set on my wife's Yamaha Diversion yet.

Since I bought a pair of Gerbings T5 gloves, I find the heated grips are not needed. Heated grips allows only another 10-15 degrees cooler and then my thumbs get cold.

There are a number of products out there: Oxford, Daytona, R&G, Saito etc.

Price is usually (here in Europe) around 50-70€ though they can come cheaper if you shop around.

You are usually given very long grips you need to trim down to suit your bike but otherwise installation is pretty much straightforward: either tap in from a convenient power source (for example the front brake switch) or run wiring straight from the battery, zip tie the cables to keep everything tidy, glue the grips, fit the controller with some Velcro and you are good to go.

Now... though they may look all the same, they aren't. I had Oxford on my TA and wasn't very pleased with them. The grips were very hard to trim down to size (because differently from other manufacturers they let you guessing where the heating element is) and they had a wiring design flaw which required a bit of modification since the replacements were as iffy as the original. To make matters worse the "Super Grip Glue" (sic) provided was useless: buy a branded product (Honda grip cement) which costs big $$$ for a tube of glue but at least you won't have them coming loose without notice.

R&G and Daytona are much better, and cheaper to boot. :thumbsup:

just an FYI I do have gerbings heated gloves. I like the heated grips for when I end up working late or just get caught in an unexpected cool morning or evening. I think I will try hot grips. A local rider has them on his CBR and loves them. thanks

I just found out aerostitch sales the hot grips. I like thier customer service. Sept was a 90% working month. i.e I worked every weekend day except one. so did not get the grips ordered or installed. So far Oct is not looking better. Maybe end of Oct I will get a free weekend. will take pics when I get the project completed

I noted above, I have full heated gear, gloves, jacket dual theromast all from gerbings. I like heated grips for when that occassional front moves in as I am at work, and it is 9pm at night, and I just want some extra heat for the commute home. Use the gerbing stuff for any planned trip, but I seem to get caught a dozen times a year where I am very happy to have heated grips.

I put Oxford Heaterz on my 1997 R1100rt. I had tried the heater elements under standard grips on my Suzuki Bandit. The heat elements worked ok, but I did melt the checkering off of one pair of soft grips. By comparison, the Oxfords heat up faster and more evenly. More settings too. The sealed wiring and plug in connectors make them pretty easy to install.

Archived