IGNORED

Question for you cold weather experts...

richs

Depends a little on how snug, you don't want to restrict the circlulation. I have some closely fitted gloves for bicycling that are good for temps down to the 20's or 30's (F). But that's also assuming much more physical activity than you get on a moto, those same gloves are not warm enough in 40 degree weather on the Beemer.

In general a looser fit and trapped air will be warmer.

A lot of things to consider. Your comfort comes from the microclimate within about 1/64th of an inch of your skin. That's why sock and glove liners make such a big difference. Next thing to remember is that the function of gloves is as insulation to keep from losing heat, they don't create heat. If the gloves are too tight, you will hamper blood circulation and compress the insulation; but if too loose, you will set up convection currents and have to waste your heat warming up the insulation and shell material.

Personally, I'd go for slightly loose, wear thin silk liners, and throw in a half expended heat pack if needed. I'd get the half expended pack by putting a new pack in my boots for an hour or two. Also loose fit makes it easier to shed heat if I find my hands are sweating.

-----

heated grips. :-)

Go for a slightly roomy, but not sloppy fit. In all my years of skiing, climbing, riding etc., I've never really gotten anywhere with liner gloves. I've had better luck just getting progressively warmer pairs of gloves for colder conditions. I have a box full.

My strategy has evolved over the years. I am in the loose is better than tight camp for all they said, but also I am in the Liners camp too. My cold weather gloves are First gear water roof gauntlets... big enough to also wear with liners when it gets really cold.

And If necessary I can slip hand warmer packets in there for a boost.

I think the only better option is the electrics... I have a ride pal who loves his.

Yep.

Heated gloves.

Add Aerostitch Triple Digit rain covers and

you can ride below zero.

If it gets below 15 I add silk liners.

I almost never use heated grips.

But, if you add the GS style brush guards the wind is minimized and heated grips maximized.

Heated liner/gloves keep core warmer and keeps warmer blood circulating to extremities.

One of the benefits of silk liners is that they make putting your regular gloves on easier if your hands are a little damp. They also add a lot of warmth for something so thin.

S-7 BarkBuster and either BMW Winter Glpves or G-3 Gerbings electric for temps down to low 20s on my RT. Doesn't get any colder around here. Would add more if 15 degrees colder like a liner..

Blocking wind with the guards helps a bunch and makes heated grips more effective. And keeping arms warm helps hands so don't forget the electric jacket..

Too tight is bad, cuts insulating space.

I also fit BarkBuster S-7 to an R1l00S for cold weather- had to have some custom bar ends to do it though- modified a set for a K bike...

I was trying to order 2 pair of gloves through Revzilla. And I measured my hands with instructions from the glove manufacturer website. The first set were ordered L and XL. Both were too small. Sent them back and got the next size larger. Still too small. Gave up on mail-order and decided to try locally. Ended up with 3XL gloves! I know my hands are on the large side but I did not think they were that large. In any case, I have gloves now along with some Hippo hands and that should keep me warm.

By the way, this has no bearing on my opinion of Revzilla. They have been great.

Archived