IGNORED

The wrong jacket combo for great weather ...

TyTass

My wife and I had a wonderful weekend of riding this past weekend out in the mountains of VA, on and around the BRP during our stay at Smith Mountain Lake. Friday and Saturday were about 10 degrees warmer than Sunday (which ranged from 57 to 85 degrees during our ride). The humidity was fairly low for this area and time of the year. To my mind, that was just about perfect riding weather! That said, I was pretty uncomfortable on Friday & Saturday during the warmest part of the day.

Although I have two riding jackets ... a Kathmandu and an Olympia Cargo mesh ... there seems to be a hole in my temperature coverage between these two. The Kathmandu proved to be exceptional in the rain, but I can't handle it when temps go much above 80. The outer layer being the waterproof layer (can you say sweat lodge?) leaves me depending on air flow through the vents, which I've personally found inadequate (sleeve vents would have made a considerable difference). That said, vent's aren't much help riding through towns on a sunny day, which is murder!

On the other hand, I love my mesh jacket. It's great from the mid 60s and above. In a pinch, I could make the mesh work below 60 by donning an exterior rain shell (and perhaps a warmth layer underneath). I certainly wouldn't want to ride around like that all day (as I felt sort of like the Michelin Man), but it was acceptable for a couple hours ... or so.

In the end, between the two they covered nearly every condition we would ride in. However, when I bought these almost always had room to take both. Back then I was either riding solo or was trailering my bike for longer excursions where Terri was joining me. Either way, space wasn't a concern.

We now rarely trailer anyware as Terri now rides much longer distances. So, when we're 2-up, I have to choose one of my jackets, and the Kathmandu just has too limited a range. So, based on reviews and recommendations from some folks hear and elsewhere, I pulled the trigger on the Revit Sand while at the local dealer today.

The XL fit me well with all the layers in. The venting is far superior to the Kathmandu ... and it looks like it will work very well (but we'll see). Given that the exterior isn't the waterproof layer, I'm hoping I can use it up to--and perhaps into--the 90's. I doubt I'll get the chance to find out for sure until next summer, but I know it'll cover more temps than the Kathmandu. So it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I'm heading to the Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) in a bit over a week, so I'll review the jacket after that.

interesting, I run into the same issue in Atlanta. It can be around high 40's to low 50's in morning. Then 76 - 83 in afternoon. I use my motoport mesh with gerbing heated jacket. once it warms up the gerbing packs pretty small. And for rain I use frogg togg jacket. must admit I save space by not carrying frog togg pants. The little rain I get caught in I just deal with for my lower body.

The combination of gerbing/moto port jacket/ frog togg over jacket goes down to 35 degrees.

45 - 59 is gerbing/moto port. If high humidity and low temp 45 - 55 (but not rain) I sometimes omit the gerbing and just do moto port and frog togg.

about 60 is moto port jacket only. I also carry one of those new fangled long sleeve micro ??????? whatever they are called shirts. Very warm and easy to clean and packs very small.

the Frogg togg and micro clean shirt basically roll up and pack together. The gerbings take a little more room, but not to bad. Those 4 pieces of gear cover me to around 35 - 85.

Your solution sounds nice, wish I was going to be up at maggie valley to see it. unfortunately working that weekend.

Craig,

BTDT

We take more layers, such as silk turtlenecks that take up next to zero space, and rain gear, with the mesh jacket/liner that works well by itself.

Mesh/liner/silk w/fleece or micofiber/silk handles wide range and by adding rain gear it expands greatly IMO.

Doesn't require much room or time to dress and a quick stop adjusts for 20-30 degree swing and also wet.

With all the extra room we take 6-19 pairs of gloves between us.

:rofl:

Hope you like the new gear, good luck.

I actually do have some Under Armor Warm Gear and a couple silk-based long sleeve shirts, but I always needed the rain jacket in the cold mornings over top the mesh jacket (would be more important now that I'm on the GSA and am getting more air ... which I love). While the rain gear outer kept the cold air out, I guess in the end I just didn't like the feeling, the puffiness, the noise in the wind, or being limited to the exterior two pockets. Perhaps no one jacket can really "do it all," but I'm hoping the Revit will be a vast improvement for riding in the weather I love best ... Fall (and Spring a close second).

That said, a few more thin undergarment layers is a great suggestion. Thanks Tim.

Yes ... I know I'm kvetching about the trials and tribulations of riding in the east, where the weather can be all over the place in one weekend and humidity can wreak havoc on ill-prepared riders. I shouldn't whine. At least I can ride pretty much year round. I'm just one of those people who sweats easily ... even from a hot shower, for crap sake ... but doesn't mind riding in freezing temps.

All-in-all, I'm happy that Terri is now very willing to make the longer journey's on the bike. It just means I have to better sort out the gear issue.

In the end, I've decided to keep the Kathmandu for rides in cooler to cold wet weather. Can't imagine being drier than in that jacket. Did the last 5 hours of an SS1K in driving rain in it and didn't feel a drop of water inside that coat.

The Kathmandu proved to be exceptional in the rain, but I can't handle it when temps go much above 80.

In the end, I've decided to keep the Kathmandu for rides in cooler to cold wet weather. Can't imagine being drier than in that jacket. Did the last 5 hours of an SS1K in driving rain in it and didn't feel a drop of water inside that coat.

These two statements mirror my experiences exactly. I love my Kathmandu when the weather is cold and/or crappy, but it absolutely cooks me above 80 degrees. The lack of venting in the sleeves turns it into a sticky steam room as soon as the temps start to creep up. On the other hand, I can be nice and comfy all day in a 50 degree rain. Toss the Gerbings underneath and I'm good for all day riding in the teens. Its a great jacket, but it certainly has its limitations and its place.

For that time of year that goes from the 50-60s up to whatever in the same day, I tend to lean on my BMW Savannah 2. Thats also what I wear all summer, including 3 days of triple digit heat on my way to the UN this year. It has the internal removabale Gortex liner, which works well but can be a PITA. I also wouldn't want to be stuck in an all day 50 degree rain with that setup without my Gerbings and an extra thermal layer between my skin and the Gortex. Otherwise, it would just suck the heat right out of your body.

I'm really interested to see where the new Schoeller C-Change technology goes in relation to some of the newer gear coming out. I know BMW has been using it and also Richa as well. The fabric supposedly opens and closes its pores for breathability, but remains waterproof. Everything I've read sounds like it gives the waterproofness of Gortex, but it allows better breathability. I'll believe it when I see it, but its something I'm keeping my eye on.

Frankly, I was completely ignorant of the Schoeller C-Change technology, so thanks for putting that on my radar, Keith.

If you're wearing your Savannah 2 in triple digit heat, perhaps I'll be able to wear my Sand in the same weather.

I'm kind of hoping to hear from other Revit Sand users (perhaps I should have included Revit Sand in the title, duh!).

Frankly, I was completely ignorant of the Schoeller C-Change technology, so thanks for putting that on my radar, Keith.

Pretty good explaination here LINK. Sounds like some impressive stuff if it does as advertised.

BTW....I hadn't looked at the Revit Sand before, but thats a nice looking jacket. :thumbsup:

The Revit brand runs so small (Euro sizes) I didn't think it would work for me. I'm a bit over 5-10, but have short-ish legs so I have a long torso and am not longer as thin as I was most of my life.

The Revit Sand in XL couldn't have fit any better. In fact, the fit was what made me buy it right then and there.

Now that I've had it home and have played with the various layers more, I'm sure that couple the Sand and WP liner with my Darrien pants and I think I'll be good in most rain storms. But again ... we'll see.

Craig,

Yep, hard to find do it all around here too.

I'd rather remove a liner or layer when it gets warmer

than sweat and avoid rain jacket, but, when I rode from here to Nova Scotia I did take the regular textile not the mesh.

:dopeslap:

It was summer.

Did sweat but used the cooling vest, which helped.

Not sure if I would've been better w/mesh but probably.

Some phase change stuff is supposed to be great but I've not used it.

Good luck,

Archived