IGNORED

What is the perfered helmet

greenrider

Hmmm, what oil are you going to use, and what tire pressure do you like? Hehe.

For helmets, the best thing you can do, and what most of the people here will probably suggest, is to go try them on. Different manufactures use different head profiles, so you will want to find one that fits YOU. This is a pretty good website that will give you some idea on manufacture shapes. Honestly, the most important part of a helmet is that it fits you, and fits you well. A poor fitting helmet will drive you nuts quickly, and will be intolerable on a long ride. Full face, open face, modular, all depends on what YOU want, and you will find a wise array of opinions on each style. There are many good and experienced salesmen and saleswomen at many of the dealerships. It might cost you a few dollars more to get your first helmet from a dealership, but it's money well spent. The best quote on helmets I have heard was "if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet. If your head is worth more than that, then buy accordingly."

That said, I wear an HJC. It's not the most expensive brand, but I love the fit, have worn it for over 12 hours at a time, and it's DOT rated. DOT v/s Snell is another argument that you can find pages upon pages of argumentative opinions, both for and against.

Good luck. Read a lot.

Find one that fits you well and if comfortable and is at least DOT approved.

I've worn Nolan, AGV, bunch of Scorpions, ZOX, right now I'm in a Shoei Neotec. Great helmet. After I wore a helmet with the drop down internal visor I swore I'd never spend money on a helmet that didn't have it. Best single helmet innovation ever.

besides meeting the aforementioned safety standards your noggin will let you know which is best.

over time you may end up with a couple spares, but by all means try on as many as you can before pulling the trigger.

I've had all the BMW System helmets and am now riding with System VI. Beginning with III you could no longer purchase them in the USA.

I brought back a couple IIIs in the early 90's on a business trip to EUCOMM.

Wife mailed the IVs from Germany on a similar trip for her some years later. That's what I'm wearing in the 2002 photo in my icon.

Brought back the Vs in 2006 while there for a Mercedes tour.

This year found a guy in Ohio who had a new, unused VI that didn't fit him, so got that and saved $100.

Here's a site where you can mail order them:

http://www.designerhelmets.com/index.php

This is part of how I enjoy BMW motorcycling, nothing "generic" for sure.

I think Schuberth has made all these for BMW, but actual Schuberth-labeled helmets are never exactly the same as the BMW System helmets. They in fact had the internal drop-down sunshade years before it finally came to the System VI.

If you're going to be using earbuds or a comm system, make sure you've got enough room inside for things. The jaw piece on my ZOX doesn't have enough space for the boom mike to fit without tickling my moustache.

I get very claustrophobic inside a helmet, but am still safety minded so I went with a modular helmet. Just my opinion. Oh, and I can put it on while wearing my glasses.

----

First, fit.

Then choice about conspicuity.

YMMV

Some helmets are notorious for fitting/not fitting certain head shapes.

X2. Fit is most important. If the helmet doesn’t fit properly or gives you hot spots on different parts of your head, your ride will be miserable.

Like others have chimed in, try on as many as you can before buying. Good luck.

Cheers,

David

Schuberth C3 bluetooth.

X2 provided it fits you well. Wore Arai for many years but the C3 is much quieter which makes audio bearable. And the modular is great if you need to have dialogue with the helmet on at ferry terminals and such.

I use a Shark Evoline series 2 helmet they now have a ST version and a series 3 out. the series ST version has places for a shark tooth system to be installed (speakers and Bluetooth) that the spacing for speakers and Bluetooth has been included in the series 3 And series 2 ST version

What i love about the Evoline series is they are DOT approved in full face mode AND open face you get the best of both world's. with 1 helmet. take off early morning kinda chilly drop the face down. When it starts warming up open up the face. same when you get cough in a rain storm. right now you can find a evoline series 2 ST helmet for under 300$ at revzilla and they very good sizing charts to help make sure you get one that fits you. I should also state everything is able to be pulled out of the helmet and cleaned!

The cons i have found in the series 2 is the weight. its just a little different from what i was use too but it did not take long once i started using it. But some difference was expected for all the mechanics for it to be full face and open face. once you put it in the wind the balance i thought was very good.

The only other con i found in the series 2 is its a round shape helmet. I'm 6'3" and 220lb my face is shaped kinda long. So i had a little space between cheek pads. The fix for this was i bought cheek pads for a size smaller of a helmet and it closed the gap fits really nice now.

On the Shark Evoline series 3 helmets they are not so round as much as the series 2. So you prob dont need to do the size smaller for cheek pads. Guessing on that. I dont own a series 3 but from the reviews i have read thats the main difference from series 2 to the series 3

Overall i would not recommend any other helmet. Having the best of both worlds. Open face and closed face with out the need of taking 2 different helmets esp when you go on long trip is priceless to me.

My current bike 99 R1100RT

Find one that fits you well and if comfortable and is at least DOT approved.

I've worn Nolan, AGV, bunch of Scorpions, ZOX, right now I'm in a Shoei Neotec. Great helmet. After I wore a helmet with the drop down internal visor I swore I'd never spend money on a helmet that didn't have it. Best single helmet innovation ever.

x2.

John

Go to a motorcycle shop with a large selection of helmets. Try them on, when you think you have found one that feels pretty good, sit down with a magazine for 20-30 minutes. If it still feels good, buy it; if it doesn't, repeat with a different helmet.

I spent considerable time online learning about helmets, and about buying a helmet that fits. Then I started hitting the dealers near me, and when I found a parts man that knew  the things that I learned online I knew I could trust him in helping me pick a helmet.  What an invaluable resource he was to me.  I had had no luck previously in buying a well fitting helmet.

Sent from my iPod

My head shape is the "reverse egg", as helmet manufacturers so tactfully put it. The ONLY helmet I have ever purchased that actually fit well off the shelf and was comfortable for all-day wear is my Shoei Multitec. So that't the perfect helmet for me.

I made an early comment on "none". I have ridden without a helemet here in Cali pre-helmet lae and in AZ where it ius still not required. I like the freedom and amazingly the better sound. You get much less noise riding at moderate speeds without a bucket than with one. Our heads are apparently better aerodynamically shaped than most helmets.

That said I know it would not, and should NOT, be most peoples choice. I have a bit of a death wish and feel like if I were in a bad crash, i would rather it end my life than leave me alive and in a wheel chair or invalid.

But to help with the "right" choice for the vast majority of people, a GOOD helmet is the right way to go.

A reminder of an OLD Bell helmet add said "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet.

That was great. How much do you value your life?

The place to start is with only looking at helmets that meet good safety standards as has been mentioned. DOT is a bare minimum standard. It does not mean that a helmet that is only DOT tested is not a quality helmet, but their tests are a minimum.

A better choice would be a Snell 2010 compliant helmet or an ECE 22.05. These are both a much higher level of testing. Here is some interesting reading on the testing topic:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

So now once you select a few choices of helmets that are withing the desired standards {snell 2010 and/or ECE 22.05} and are in your budget, remember that purely money does not make a helmet good OR bad. Often the more pricey a helmet is means that its quality may be better, IE you get what you pay for...

Things like wind noise, weight, ventilation, and optional amenities like bluetooth are better on priceier lids.

Now that you have again narrowed your search down more based on reviews, price, quality and amenities now you must get one that fits YOUR head correctly. This is by far the MOST important component in buying a helmet than all other things combined imho.

If a helmet fits right then there is no distraction while riding, your time in the saddle and days back to back will never be a problem. Comfort is key here.

I usually pic the 2 or 3 helmets that I like and put them on and walk around a shop for at least an hour or so and see if any pinching or rubs start showing up.

I have a local shop that is great, he lets me demo ride a helmet as long as I dont have to remove any stickers off of the visor he is fine with it, break it you bought it though. Many helmets now use a static adhered label on the visor so it works good for me. Advantages to getting to know a good local dealer. This helps find out if there are wind noise issues or buffeting type of problem and good or bad ventilation.

Reviews can help alot with this if you can not actually try out a helmet.

To check fit while not riding I have learned that you need to have someone hold the chin bar and you need to move your head left and right and up and down {say yes and no motions} and see how snug the helmet fits in all directions. It should not move too much on your head but should also not pinch and bind anywhere.

I have found that all helmets will settle in a bit and relax in the fit some so if there is a wierd close fit between size X and Y then I usually go with the more snug one as long as it is not uncomfortable and as it breaks in it usually fits better with time.

Many people forget that helmets have a life span. Just because3 it still fits well and is not beat up does not mean you should use it forever. Helmets are made of polycarbonets or fiberglass, or carbon fiber materials and these will break down over time and lose strength. Remember your helmet is out in direct sunlight whenever it is being used and this will break down most materials in resonable time. Look at any plastic car dash, wood house roof or siding, fiberglass car left out in the sun for long periods of time....it is your knoggin replace your bucket every few years or so, better safe than sorry. In my union we manditorially have to replace our hardhats every 4 years whether we want to or not. Makes sense to have the same thinking with a helmet.

Thanks for all the info.

The thing I'm trying to decide now is full face, open face, or modular.

I live in Ontario Canada and have been comuting in 3 degrees celcius (37 farenhiet) weather. Surprisingly comfortable.

Right now I have a open face (that is for our 4 wheeler)and like it but I haven't driven in the rain.So I don't know how that will be.

I'm leaning toward a modular and have been impressed with the Shark evoline but can't buy them in Canada.

So I'm still trying to decide.

Arai. Period. End of story. Never tried anything else that comes close, and I've tried most of them.

-MKL

+1

I had ALWAYS been an Arai guy ... for 2 reasons 1) The Signet was the only shape that fit me and 2) I like the quality. BUT ... with the Signet being discontinued and then when it returned there was no XXXL I was forced to look elsewhere. Well ... I was shocked to find the Shoei RF1100 in XXL fit me great. About the same price as Arai maybe a few bucks less but still a premium helmet and WOW ... it has a wider eye opening and really makes a difference. The Shield ratchets better than my Arai and changing the shield is a snap! Not that annoying Arai process. I LOVE my Arai but looks like I am a convert to Shoei.

Thanks for all the info.

I live in Ontario Canada and have been comuting in 3 degrees celcius (37 farenhiet) weather. Surprisingly comfortable.

Right now I have a open face (that is for our 4 wheeler)and like it but I haven't driven in the rain.So I don't know how that will be.

I'm leaning toward a modular and have been impressed with the Shark evoline but can't buy them in Canada.

that really sucks you cant get one in canada. Do you know if its some kind of safety reason? or just distribuit issues? If revzilla cant ship it that way maybe ebay?

rezvilla will ship to canada for $60. But i cant try it on. ad f it doesnt fit i wll soon be spending quite a bit on shipping.

does the evoline fit in the saddle or givi?

Would you pay $200 more for the 3st then the 2 st?

Thanks for all the info.

I have an open face that I like when it is hot and on short rides for some nice wind in my face when the weather is nice. A modular is very versatile and I use one as my daily rider helmet because I can take a quick sip of water or walk into a store to grab something without having to undress. You can flip it up at a light to talk to a buddy or ask a car next to you for directions.....very versatile.

However for absolute safety a full face is the only way to go since even a modular has alot of flex in it in a face forward crash.

I am not sure if there are modulars that are Snell new standard, or the Eue but they are very good and still offer good face protection, but a one piece full face is the strongest and safest.

Again though just to reiterate, FIT is by far the most important part of the equation. You could where a thousand dollar full race Arai or Shoei or AGV that is loose and it will actually be dangerous because of the rocking on your head. Same can go for too tight, it can put your face too close to the chin bar and can compress the liner and diminish the impact resistance.

Fit Fit Fit....If it pinches or contacts on certain points then those are pressure spots that can be dangerous. You want to spread any load out as evenly as possible. It is like the PSI thing. You could have a 100 lb person lay flat on you and the spread load is easy to support, but if you had 100 lbs balance on a nail it would push straight thru your skin and stab you...spread out the load as evenly on your head as possible. Quality lid 1st but then buy the quality one that fits you best. Helmets are one thing I do NOT buy online unless I have tried it on in person and know it fits propperly. Do NOT try on a buddies and thing that it does or does not fit because as with anything flexible that will break in and adjust a bit to YOUR head so only start with a NEW lid and go from there.

Best wishes my friend

• 3 weeks later...

You can get Shark in Canada!!!

I emailed Shark and they got back to me in less than 8hr and let me know where the dealers are.

I like the helmet.

Love the internal sun visor.

Cold wet mornings I can flip to full face.

The only thing is I have wide cheek bones so it is a bit tight. But I'm working on that.

Well, I have a shoei, a bell and an arai, raced sprint cars for years,with all the safety equip, but for the last few years, I ride with a ball cap.....flame away, but I feel the awareness, and increased ability to hear and see is a big plus....if I ever go down hard...I may be crying, but I do think there is a safety aspect to not having a helmet on......

Well, I have a shoei, a bell and an arai, raced sprint cars for years,with all the safety equip, but for the last few years, I ride with a ball cap.....flame away, but I feel the awareness, and increased ability to hear and see is a big plus....if I ever go down hard...I may be crying, but I do think there is a safety aspect to not having a helmet on......

We don't have to agree with you but it is surely your right to make that choice. That is what freedom of choice is all about. We all decide how much risk we prefer to take.

If you do not want to wear a helmet then that's your choice. Describing it as a safety measure however is just self-delusion.

Andy

If you do not want to wear a helmet then that's your choice. Describing it as a safety measure however is just self-delusion.

Andy

The right to choose I agree with.

The choice I don't support.

The rationalization is faulty.

Don't worry,though, if you would have needed the helmet crying won't be a concern...

Having endured concussions/traumatic brain injuries/loss of memory/speech/balance/loss of sense of humor,

acute and dramatic changes in sensitivity to light/sound, concurrent stress related challenges at work/being out of work, added stressors to family and friends, and gone through years of rebuilding I can say it is an experience some might not want.

Perhaps you can supply data where helmet use has hindered vision/hearing response that resulted in accident/trauma/injury/death?

Data, not anecdotal reference.

Best wishes.

Andy

To be fair he described it as a safety "aspect", rather than a safety measure.

But anyway, he is not going to have an accident, is he?

John

Sometimes I understand the temptation, especially in hot humid weather. But I've also spent a lot of time on tracks and owned a couple dozen or more helmets over the years and have seen too many walk away from major hits that actually broke a helmet shell or shattered a chin bar to get tempted to actually leave mine off. In fact I bought my first street helmet after wtching a racer surivive one of those when I expected to see his corpse laid out after hitting that tree. Never had a street accident and don't expect to but there is that minority of events one can't control, no matter the experience level. Now that I've lived long enough to retire with the resources to enjoy it,m I sure don't want it cut short...

I just bought a R1100RT and now I need to buy a helmet. What are some of your favorites?

Several years ago a major motorcycle magazine paid for independent testing of a large number of motorcycle helmets from virtually all manufacturers. What they found was little relationship between cost and the level of protection. In fact, the helmet that tested best was one of the least expensive helmets and not from a major company.

As others have said, get a helmet that's comfortable so you'll wear it. Try on lots of them. White seems to have the most conspicuity, but that was before yellow and bright colors came out. Also, white is cooler in the summer. A modular helmet is nice if you wear glasses. However, try to put the helmet on while wearing your glasses. Not all modular helmets will slide over glasses. Go to the library and look at the helmet evaluations in Motorcycle Consumer News for objectivity. Every few years they review a number of helmets and rate them on comfort, wind noise, ventilation, and other factors.

Don't forget the UK site for helmet testing.

SHARP link

SHARP, the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme.

Very, very interesting results.

Comprehensive impact testing, percentage of times locking mechanism keep working on system/modular helmet.

Comparing expensive helmets to some middle of the road or inexpensive ones is often startling.

For example the Nolan 102/103/N90 entire line had 100% score on locking mechanism staying locked after impacts.

Many scorde 40% or above with even Schuberth having a 100 and a 97.

Shoei, a popular choice scored 83% of the time remaining locked on impact.

It costs 2x the Nolan price.

Not surprising The BMW scores were 100 AND 97% ALSO,

Shark, another popular line as a 70% on their more expensive Evoline and a 97% on the less expensive Openline.

Don't forget the UK site for helmet testing.

SHARP link

SHARP, the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme.

Very, very interesting results.

Comprehensive impact testing, percentage of times locking mechanism keep working on system/modular helmet.

Comparing expensive helmets to some middle of the road or inexpensive ones is often startling.

For example the Nolan 102/103/N90 entire line had 100% score on locking mechanism staying locked after impacts.

Many scorde 40% or above with even Schuberth having a 100 and a 97.

Shoei, a popular choice scored 83% of the time remaining locked on impact.

It costs 2x the Nolan price.

Not surprising The BMW scores were 100 AND 97% ALSO,

Shark, another popular line as a 70% on their more expensive Evoline and a 97% on the less expensive Openline.

You beat me to it, sir. SHARP ratings are awesome.

Check the numbers, try them on to find the best fit and wear it always. (Dress for the crash, not for the ride.)

Archived