IGNORED

K1600(GT/LT?) factory running lights on R1200RT

blackyam

Hi, everyone. I'm sorry if this has been asked already.

I noticed that the new K1600(GT/LT?) has a very handsome set of factor running lights (mounted to the frame or somewhere down there). Has anyone tried to used these running lights on an R1200RT mounted in a similar way? Would that be possible? Does BMW have mounts for this? My RT is a '10. Thanks.

---John.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

John

can't answer your specific questions but, there are lamp mounts that go under the mirrors from Touratech (I think).

Also, I'll post up pics tonight but I just finished hanging Hella Micro DEs from Ilium works pegs. Welded a nut into the end and made a bracket to tuck them in.

The K16GT/GTL aux lights down by the lower radiator cowl?

Those are aux lights which are mounted on stalks that bolt to the front of the cylinder head (they will be mounted directly on the radiator cowl on the 2013 K16s). The are available from BMW, but you would need to come up with a mounting solution that works with an RT.

FWIW, having used them on my K16, I wouldn't buy them except as daytime running lights, and there are better options on the market for that purpose. As driving lights, they provide decent "fill-in" light, but the pattern and light intensity are nothing special.

If I were starting from scratch I would look at the several better aftermarket options.

The lights themselves are $160 each. As Mark points out they aren't anything special, and aftermarket is probably better. I run my during the day for conspicuity, and I think they are good for that. At night, I consider them a distraction and leave them off.

If you head down this path, you might place a want add on k1600forum.com. Folks upgrade from time to time and have them lying around gathering dust.

Thanks, y'all, for your replies and helpful suggestions. I will consider them all. I'm pretty happy with the R1200RT headlamps as they are (much, much better than the single light on my previous R1150RS), so I'm not in a rush. I appreciate your feedback. :-)

Cheers.

---John.

Archived