IGNORED

Yellow hwy paint: how to clean fairing

beemerboy

It seems that I brought back a little bit of Torrey in the form of the yellow paint used to mark lanes on I70 in UT.

I noticed lots of small yellow dots on the front and sides of my RT's fairing while cleaning it and would like to know the best way to remove said spots without messing up the finish. Any ideas or product recommendations??

Not sure what solvent is needed for that particular paint, but I had luck with prep solvent in the past with oversprayed paint. Check a body shop supplier, I guess. I got it from a body shop.

Mineral spirits or any solvent may be too harsh, and may take off the clear coat or finish coat that is on there.

A credit card may work but that may even scratch; I think a fingernail is softer, and will work if it's not too much.

I don't know how the clay would work on that at all. I have the Meguiars clay and have used it. But I'm not too sure that would work.

The highway department puts the paint on. They don't take it off. They burn it off, or paint over it.

So they may not know how to take it off. Perhaps there is one person somewhere in the highway department that does know how, but how do you talk to that one, rather than 14 others who don't know?

dc

How about taking it to a detail shop or body shop. They will have the solvents, knowledge and tools. Might cost some but worth it possibly.

Clay bar. They were originally used for overspray by body shops. No problem, smooth paint when finished. I personally like the Meg's kit from any Autozone or O'Reilley...

Did you get it cleaned off? What did you finally decide to use?

Glad you got home OK!

I used a combination of products beginning with a liquid product called Ooops! After that I used a damp cloth to clean the surface then used some Turtle Wax.

I like the idea of a clay bar and once the sun's shining here again will pull the bike out and examine it for remaining paint spots.

Had you given any consideration to filing a claim with the responsible agency that caused this problem?

Another avenue might be your insurance company under the Comprehensive clause.

Had you given any consideration to filing a claim with the responsible agency that caused this problem?

Another avenue might be your insurance company under the Comprehensive clause.

Yes, I did. Between fighting my insurance company over a hail storm claim that pulverized my cedar shake shingle roof and then having a failed burglary attempt on Casa Beemerboy that trashed my front doors and, yes, forced me back to the same insurance company for resolution, I'm a tad tired of dealing with claims for the time being.

Archived