IGNORED

Garmin zumo 660/665 factory mount vs. Touratech mount

Bill_Walker

You may recall that I asked a while ago whether any new MC GPS was worth a damn, because no updates beyond 2008 were available for my Navigator II (Garmin 2610). On the way to Torrey, my Nav II broke the housing where the mount latches into it and fell off, hanging by the cord. I reattached it with zip ties for the trip home, but now it only sees the base map. This sounded like a good excuse to buy a new GPS, so I ordered a zumo 660.

Given my previous experience (dang, that mount only lasted for 8 years before it broke!), I'm looking for feedback from 660/665 owners on the Garmin mounting bracket. Is it just fine, or should I spring another $180 for the Touratech mount for greater security? I sorta like the idea of a locking mount. The "security screw" in the Nav II mount wasn't much, but at least it would slow a thief down more than the pushbutton on the 660 mount. What say ye?

I installed my Zumo 660 with the original garmin mount, but just after 2 rides felt like this was asking for trouble.

So I installed the Touratech V2 mount.

It is absolutely "impossible" for the GPS to ever fall out.

Once locked with a key, it would require major effort to steal the device. Most likely damaging the unit so badly in the process, that it would render it useless.

For once, you get your money's worth as it is a high quality design.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Bill

Night and day difference between the two. Not being a thief, it would take me quite a while to forcibly remove the 665 from the Touratech. Probably take a real thief about a minute or two. :rofl:

I wouldn't leave it in the Touratech mount without some visual supervision but think it's ok for going into a gas station or similar brief stop. It's too expensive to find out whether or not the mount can be forced open.

I have had the 660 for over three years and the standard Garmin mount has been fine. I would never leave the GPS on the bike, but it only takes a moment to remove it and slip it into your pocket while you pay for petrol.

CoarsegoldKid

Bill I'm using the Garmin cradle for my 665 on both my BMW and DRZ. The DRZ has ridden over some bumpy trails all day long. The 665 is secure in the cradle including a time when the DRZ took a nap on a down hill section. I always secure it when not supervising the machine.

I just started using my 665....the stock mount seems very vulnerable to theft....I dont leave it out of sight at all...It does seem pretty secure as for regular riding....I cant say I would be concerned about it popping out of the cradle on its own like the 550 was known for.

I've used my current 550 on several different bikes now and never had a problem with it popping out of the cradle. Never felt like the factory mount was inadequate or anything.

But I always run the "security" screw tightened down when it's on the bike.

Factory mount for our 660 on our GS for 4 years now through many a bounce, josh and dump – no issues.

If you want to make connections to anything (e.g. Intercom, ext. power, audio system) I don’t think you have a choice do you? The TT mount doesn’t have that does it?

Also the Garmin mount tells the 660 or 665 you have just mounted it on a bike and toggles it to that configuration. Including turning on the low fuel alert feature.

I've used my current 550 on several different bikes now and never had a problem with it popping out of the cradle. Never felt like the factory mount was inadequate or anything.

But I always run the "security" screw tightened down when it's on the bike.

The 660 mount doesn't have a security screw. Push a button and it's completely disconnected.

Factory mount for our 660 on our GS for 4 years now through many a bounce, josh and dump – no issues.

If you want to make connections to anything (e.g. Intercom, ext. power, audio system) I don’t think you have a choice do you? The TT mount doesn’t have that does it?

Also the Garmin mount tells the 660 or 665 you have just mounted it on a bike and toggles it to that configuration. Including turning on the low fuel alert feature.

The Touratech mount incorporates the Garmin mount into it, so all the Garmin functions work. Being the impatient type in some areas, I went ahead and ordered it based on the first couple of replies. I'll let you know how it goes.

I finished the installation of the 665 for 3 bikes. I see nothing wrong with the factory mount for my use. It keeps it affordable.

What I have a problem with, is the MP3 file capability on the GPS.

I have 12 CD's loaded and it's full. No more room. Is it me, or what's the deal?

Do I NOT have the ability for a small music library on the 665?

Sorry for the hijack, pm if you want.

MB>

Bill -

If it means anything, my 660 was in the standard Garmin mount when the bike (and I) went down and did a couple flips at 50mph. The GPS was still attached in the mount when someone checked on the bike for me.

So I'd say the standard Garmin mount holds the GPS in place pretty darn well during riding. But if you are interested in security for when you get off the bike, get the Touratech. Personally, I just remove the GPS quickly and stash it in my topcase along with my helmet and lock them both.

Jim

I have 12 CD's loaded and it's full. No more room. Is it me, or what's the deal?
Sounds about right for the standard memory. As mentioned add an SD card as big as you want.
Sounds about right for the standard memory. As mentioned add an SD card as big as you want.

Actually, I think 16 GB is the largest card the 660 will handle. Still pretty big.

Yeah, I'm not sure I need the Touratech to keep the GPS attached to the bike while riding. But I'm a little concerned about it staying attached while I use the restroom at the gas station. Call me paranoid. The security screw on the Nav II mount was enough for that. The quick-release pushbutton on the 660 mount isn't.

Thanks for the replies. After a review of the manual I located the SD slot which resides behind the battery... :dopeslap:

Bill, that mount looks pretty slick. Phil would be proud of you.

MB>

Bill, that mount looks pretty slick. Phil would be proud of you.

Nah. It's the only Touratech item on my bike (or will be, once I install it). Phil wouldn't bat an eye at that. :grin:

So, I was working on the install today, and I've already found something I hate about the 660: the wiring harness! On my NAV II, the harness unplugs at the mount. I have it mounted on a Gadget Guy mount, which of course has to be removed to work on anything behind the dash. With the NAV II, I just unplug the harness, unbolt the two bolts on the mount, and it's all out of the way.

On the 660, the harness is integrated with the mount, all the way to the power source. So, I'll have to disassemble the Garmin mount from the Gadget Guy mount if I need to open the dash. Granted, that doesn't happen often. But it's annoying.

Also annoying is that the audio jack comes out halfway down the harness. Great, I suppose, if you're connecting to permanently installed wiring. Not so good if you're connecting to your tankbag. Yeah, I know, lots of people use Bluetooth to get audio from the 660. I've already got my V1, iPod and bike-to-bike wired through my Autocom and don't want to switch.

And another thing ( :) ): my NAV II harness connects to a plug that looks to be wired to the backside of one of the aux power outlets. I'm not sure I can even get in there to take the power side of that harness off, which means I've got a plug hanging there loose with live 12 V power. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that.

OK, I'm through venting now. Sorry.

Archived