IGNORED

How to key a 28L top case

Doug_Baliko

This may be a very stupid question. I have a BMW 28L top case that I'm going to sell because I bought a larger Shad SH-50. My question is that since it's keyed to my bike how do I sell It? Is it customary to sell the top cases without a key?If I sell it without a key can the buyer take it to a dealer and have it keyed to his bike? I certainly don't want to give someone one of my keys. As I said, probably a stupid question.

Doug

With the key it's easy to re-key the case but difficult without it because you need the key to remove the cylinder, so without the key the buyer would have to have to drill out the cylinder and that's no fun. You have two options if you want to be a nice seller, either loan the buyer a key long enough for him to get the case re-keyed to his bike or sell the case with the cylinder removed which would at least save the hassle of drilling it out.

With the key it's easy to re-key the case but difficult without it because you need the key to remove the cylinder, so without the key the buyer would have to have to drill out the cylinder and that's no fun. You have two options if you want to be a nice seller, either loan the buyer a key long enough for him to get the case re-keyed to his bike or sell the case with the cylinder removed which would at least save the hassle of drilling it out.

The above is right on. So often, people sell their cases unlocked, thinking that's all that's needed to rekey it. However, that's not true.. if you're not selling to a local buyer, loaning a key to the buyer (perhaps your "valet key") or removing the lock cylinder before shipping are your two options. For a local buyer, just do the transaction at a dealer and have it rekeyed there at time of purchase, with your key present.

My RT was totaled back in June (not bad at all, but insurance company called it a total loss). They told me I could take off the cases I wanted before they picked up the rest of the bike.

I had since purchased an RS without a top case so I took the bike key to my key man and he made me a couple of copies. So I have a different key for the top case than the rest. Big deal, I don't use it all the time so no worries.

Archived