IGNORED

cool weather gear suggestions

comforteagle

I'm looking to get some cold weather gear.

Any tips for what is good/bad? where to buy online? heated gear any good?

Bike is a 2008 r1200rt.

Steve

Don't know where you are, how cold it gets, or how serious you are about riding all year long. But Gerbing heated gear is the answer anyway. Start off with the jacket liner, but get a dual controller because you'll get the pant liner soon after it spoils you. Then gloves and the pure luxury of socks if you want to stay toasty when all others are abed.

If you're in a warmer area, you may stop with just a jacket liner; the RT has good leg protection and you may have a heated seat.

I like the Warm and Safe wireless controller. Still need power to the bike's battery, but power connection goes to a controller that fits in your pocket and remote is wireless so it can be placed in a tankbag or a pocket anywhere. No drilling holes to mount it on the bike or route wires to.

------

Probably what you'd want in a snowmobile suit. Waterproof is real good; you'll be in a 70mph wind on the bike and wet is no fun. Carry some heat packs to put next to your thin liners for your feet and hands. Probably need a balacava and full face helmet. Basically, thin layer, heated gear, insulation, and then wind/water proof.

-----

By the way, that piece from 2010 may be outdated re the Gerbing's PDU connections, which I personally didn't like. If the PDU is gone and wires are back, the Gerbing's would have done better. Gerbing's is top notch as is Warm and Safe. Both Warm and Safe (standard) and especially Gerbing's controllers are ergonomic crap compared to EXO. The W&S Remote controller is nice, though. That's how I see it.

-MKL

I believe that you are right about the controllers. Made in China.

My wife's microwave liner is a year old and the controller is 7 months old. They provide intermittent heat.

I asked Gerbings in Olyimpia WA if they could test their set up at my cost. In short they told me to go elsewhere. This wasn't the type of service that others here have experienced.

Maybe management has changed??? Anyone know?

Depends on how well you take the cold. What one person feels as cold, another feels as comfortable.

I ride all year and the coldest it got last year was 17*. I wear a Tourmaster Transition 2, Columbia Fleece for the top and I wear Nike Pro heavy underlayer under my jeans. I have thick wool socks and I use ski gloves for the hands. My seats heated, my grips are heated and I'm comfortable. I've done four hour plus rides in the mid 20's with that gear.

I do have a Gerbings liner, but haven't worn it in a couple of years, to me, it's easier to put the fleece on underneath rather than plugging up the Gerbings.

I'm looking to get some cold weather gear.

Any tips for what is good/bad? where to buy online? heated gear any good?

Bike is a 2008 r1200rt.

Steve

Welcome Steve!

I wear Olympia AST jacket and FirstGear TPG over pants. They keep out much of the wind and all of the rain, allowing my heated gear do the rest. I have bought from Motorcycle Superstore for many years with A1 service time and time again. Order everything you want to try on and return what you don't want in the same box.

I have always been happy with the heated liners and gloves from Gerbing . That being said here are the basics:

You many know this, or maybe not? What you wear against your skin is the clincher in cold or heat. You sweat year round and cotton holds that moisture against your skin. Cotton kills is our friendly saying :D

Synthetics are my favorite because they are easily rinsed out in a sink at night and dry within hours, for the next days travel. I wear anything that claims to wick moisture from the skin, removing it to the outer layer of the fabric. This takes it away from my skin and keeps me warmer.

This stuff has kept many a rider comfortable - LDR

You usually get what you pay for, but you can always ask everyone here any brand specific questions. We've likely all tried more than a few.

All we ask is that you share photos of your travels and your part of the planet. Oh, and your bike! Welcome to the community.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Keeep core warm.

Gerbings jacket liner and gloves a good start.

Use neck gaiter(s) to keep that area warm as blood exchange to brain is critical.

Use a skull cap or balaclava to add warmeth and heat retention.

Keep wind away from exposed areas.

Stay hydrated.

When it gets below freezing I add Aerostitch triple digit rain covers over my Gerbings gloves.

I have ridden 500 miles in below freezing temps w/out electrics using layers and stayed warm.

But, once I got the electric gear I paid people to slap me...

I haven't used the pant liner, imagine it would be nice.

My biggest issue is keeping feet warm.

I use a silk or micro sock liner under very warm wool but that is the weak point fro me wrt long distance in subfreezing temps.

REsort to using plastic bag over socks sometimes and that helps.

Tried battery powered socks w/out much luck, YMMV.

The new heated(wired) socks from Gerbings are supposed to be an improvement over their previous design, not sure if wires intrusive when walking.

Good luck, you live in a beautiful place to ride.

You guys and gals are making me cold just talking about it. I'll be the guy smoking a cigar near the fireplace. Feel free to join me in a beverage when you're done riding.

Archived