IGNORED

Michelin PR3's

RTJohn

Most of my riding is commuting to work on the freeway. Still, on my last set of PR3s I got 14,786 miles. Not bad if you ask me. BTW LB BMW beat everyone around me on price, hands down.

That's just about the mileage I have on mine. I am starting to think about a new set. But I think they still look ok.

And they are only about a year old.

I usually go to M.C. Tires in Lomita.

dc

I'll be replacing my PR3's next week at about 10.5K miles. The front is definitely done but the rear (B spec.) probably has 2K remaining. Tire pressures have been 40-42 rear and 32-37 front.

The PR3's differ from my earlier PR2's in that the PR3 rear lasts longer.

Just replaced mine with 8K on them. They both had about 1mm of tread left before the wear bars so might have been able to get 9K out of them.

I'm rolling over 14,000 - that is excellent! I will buy another set when these are through. Though mine are the OEM Pilot Roads, not PR2 or PR3.

-MKL

Most of my riding is commuting to work on the freeway. Still, on my last set of PR3s I got 14,786 miles. Not bad if you ask me. BTW LB BMW beat everyone around me on price, hands down.

try del amo for the tires and hudsons for the mounting, they may surprise you. $40 for the pair off the bike and $300 + tax for the tiires

Barely got 7500 miles on the rear, but about 9k on the front. My luck with Michelin has run out, punctures and the thin carcass are having me seek other brands. :(

Mine still look ok as well, with 10k+. Front is getting a little noisy.

I'm shocked at the excellent handling and durability of these tires.

Have also had good results from PR3s, a very big improvement over the PR2 IMO.

But we have 1 local club rider whose RT had a set that developed front cupping early on while on a cross country ride. He carries and uses a gauge so it apparently wasn't low inflation. That's the only negative report from our local users that I know about..

I recently bought a pair of PR3's and cannot verify mileage, but they are grippy on the road, quiet and smooth. A trip from Long Beach, CA through Northern Arizona/Utah of 1600 miles gave them a nice break in period. We followed a rainstorm so some wet payment was tested and they performed well. We'll see in a real downpour later this year.

I"m on my second pair of the PR3's - 1st pair lasted well over 15,000 miles and I run 40 up front and 42 for the "B" rated rear 100% of the time.

Great, Long Lasting tire in my experience

I had the PR3's installed on my RT a week before I left on a 1600 mile tour of Utah. I was AMAZED at the difference in the ride that these tires gave me. Very smooth in the twisties, sweepers, and straights. I hope that I see the mileage that others are reporting. These replaced the stock tires which were looking tired after 6000 miles. Good tires are essential, but I want to spend some money on the toys too - like a tank bag, GPS, bluetooth headset, etc.

The B is rated for mostly 2 up riding or riding heavily loaded.

ISTR that it does not have a higher load rating than the non B tire.

Can't find any info about it on Michelin's site.

Just mounted my second set of PR3's.

7600 miles and wearing great then took a nail in the rear and it had to go.

My dealer had one set left in stock so on they went!

:thumbsup:

I'd always used Metzelers on my R1150RA (Z6 then Z8), but on a recent trip had a PR3 rear installed at a shop in Virginia because they didn't have the Z8 in stock. It worked out well on the ride back from Virginia to San Francisco via Key West and Big Bend (which included a couple of hard rains), and I'll probably replace the front Z8 with a PR3 when the time comes. My last front Z8 started cupping long before the tread was worn down. Also, I'm tired of trying to guess when the rear Metzeler is worn down.

Peter Akraboff

San Francisco

Archived