IGNORED

Frogg Toggs not impressed

RPG

Picked up a new Frogg Toggs rainsuit a few weeks ago and needed it this weekend for our club's annual Fall Color Tour to northern MI.

Absolutely miserable weather starting Sat. morning. Good chance to evaluate the new suit. Basially, it didn't pass and proves once again you get what you pay for.

Major desin flaw with zippers on the legs. They have flap to cover them but nothing to hold the flap over the zipper when you're on the bike. Result, water wicks it's way through the zipper and soaks your pant legs, wicking down into the socks. Since my BMW Gore-Tex boots never leak, this was very frustrating.

Cuffs are tensioned to hold tight around wrist but still let in water. Even putting glove gauntlets behind the cuff allowed water to still seep in up and over the glove gauntlets to soak the hands. It wasn't the gloves fault if water comes up and over the dam.

Pants had some issues with the crotch area. I was soaked in the seat all weekend. A deal breaker for sure.

About the only good feather that worked for me was the built in hoodie, which fits nicely under the helmet, keeping your neck dry.

Sending these back.

RPG

Morning Rick

Thanks for your evaluation. That pretty well mirrors my take on Frogg Toggs rain gear. Works OK for a light rain & warm day but sadly lacking for heavy all day rain in cool/cold weather.

I have some older heavy duty rain gear (couldn't even tell you the brand name without looking) that keeps me dry in the worst of all day storms but it is heavy, doesn't pack small, & is hot in warm weather.

How did your helmet & gloves function in the cold rain?

You guys stay at Cycle-Moore again this year? If so did they have the pavilion up for you?

Have been using mine for about 5-6 years and they have never allowed me to get wet, mostly. Mine don't have any zippers around the lower leg, and my Aerostitch 3 finger rain gloves have kept my arms/hands dry as well. Living in the PNW we learn a few things about riding in the wet, and this are the best rain gear I've had in 40+ years of riding. Sorry to hear you've had a less that rewarding wet experience with yours!

Where I have been wet is below the back of my helmet, but if I use the hood on the coat all is well. My pants are the farmer/overhall type crotch has no wear to leak except from the inside.

I'm certainly open to trying others if they prove more rain worthy.

you might want to try 3Ms reflective rain jacket, $50. The main thing is that this jacket about burns your eyes out in daylight and reflects all over at night. Oh, it also did not leak in 6 hours of rain riding.

You can get into some gear made specifically for motorcycle riding fairly inexpensively. Frogg Toggs are more for walking around than riding. I bought a cheap pair of Tour Master rain pants for $35.00 that zips to my Tour Master coat that was fairly cheap too. The coat serves as my daily riding coat and rain coat. Temps from 35 - 85's have been comfortable.

You know, for a few $ more you can have good stuff that packs small and is comfortable as any rain gear will ever get. I've had a bike for over 50 years and have done a lot of tournament fishing and hunting where the rain gear is on all day- tried everything from older style heavy stuff (works well but doesn't pack and is too hot), various coated nylon stuff (mostly doesn't work very well and many don't breath), tyvek, frogg toggs and other pseudo rain gear (really better suited for protection while painting or similar).

The answer is GoreTex and you get it at Cabelas where pants can be had in several lengths so will be long enough when seated on a bike. The set on my bike is over 20 yrs old and works fine= despite the fact that it is the old style membrane and has a number of water holes near the zipper from friction that are outside the sealed area. You can buy cheaper but why? Function first....Some of the imitations aren't too bad either but lack the construction guarantee, etc so there is more chance of getting a clunker...

Archived