IGNORED

Audio from zumo 660 to Autocom Pro 7 Sport

Bill_Walker

As you may have seen in another thread, I upgraded my GPS from my failing Navigator II to a zumo 660. I have a V-1, Kenwood bike-to-bike, iPod, and GPS connected to an Autocom Pro 7 Sport. I only want audio out of the GPS, I don't care about mic in or bluetooth. How can I connect the 660? The 660 has a stereo output, while the Nav II had a mono output. I figured I could just plug it in to the same input and the two channels would be summed at the connector, but the zumo somehow knows the difference and sends audio to the internal speaker instead.

I've sent a support request to the current US distributor, but I don't know if I'll get much help on an "obsolete" unit. Has anybody here done this?

Bill, I run a stearo out of my 550 to Aux 2 on my autocom and it works fine. I get both GPS instructions as well as listen to stearo MP3s I have on my Zumo.

Bill, I run a stearo out of my 550 to Aux 2 on my autocom and it works fine. I get both GPS instructions as well as listen to stearo MP3s I have on my Zumo.

The catch is that I'm already running my iPod into the "music" input, and I'd like the GPS to mute the music when it has something to say. And much of my music is in Apple's format, which the GPS won't play, so I can't just put my music on the zumo.

I actually don't remember the combination of splitters/combiners and ports that I'm using to get everything connected. I've got it all enclosed in a metal box with just the necessary wires coming out. I guess I may have to open up the box and see what I can do.

Is the problem with the Zumo mount or the wiring?

1) Remove the iPod and put it on the bench. Disconnect the Zumo harness from the Autocom.

2) Run a stereo 3.5mm cable from the stereo output of the Zumo (LHS of case) to the Music input of the Autocom (you could use the iPod cable). Does this work?

3) Now connect the cable to the Autocom Aux 1 (phone input). Now what happens? Since Aux 1 is 3-pole earth- mic out - sound in you might get 1 channel of the stereo.

4) Repeat as above using the Zumo harness instead of the (iPod) cable.

Does the Zumo respond correctly to being placed in the Automotive mount compared to the Motorcycle mount.

Hope this helps,

John

Bill, iTunes allows you to export the music in mp3 format so you could install it on the zumo resulting in one less device to mess with wrt wires, power and expecially man-machine interface because the zumo has a nice mmi for music.

jlt

Bill, iTunes allows you to export the music in mp3 format so you could install it on the zumo resulting in one less device to mess with wrt wires, power and expecially man-machine interface because the zumo has a nice mmi for music.

jlt

+1. Same here with my Zumo 665, create copy of songs in iTunes library in changed mp3 format, create song folder within iTunes for the Zumo with mp3 format songs, plug the zumo into the computer and transfer 'em over, no iPod on the bike. Also did this with my Zumo 550. Seems to work fine.

John

Is the problem with the Zumo mount or the wiring?

1) Remove the iPod and put it on the bench. Disconnect the Zumo harness from the Autocom.

2) Run a stereo 3.5mm cable from the stereo output of the Zumo (LHS of case) to the Music input of the Autocom (you could use the iPod cable). Does this work?

3) Now connect the cable to the Autocom Aux 1 (phone input). Now what happens? Since Aux 1 is 3-pole earth- mic out - sound in you might get 1 channel of the stereo.

4) Repeat as above using the Zumo harness instead of the (iPod) cable.

Does the Zumo respond correctly to being placed in the Automotive mount compared to the Motorcycle mount.

Hope this helps,

John

There's no problem with the zumo mount or wiring. I can connect stereo headphones there and the output from the zumo works fine. The problem seems to be in connecting the zumo to the mono input I was using with my NAV II. The zumo just sends audio to its internal speaker instead when I do that.

I'll give a try, probably tomorrow, connecting the zumo to the phone input, since I never use that anyway. But I suspect I'll end up having to connect it to the music input.

I'm a little reluctant to have my music on the zumo, even I can export it. I rode with a guy recently who had such, and it seemed to take him a long time to stop the music when we wanted to talk at a stop. With the wireless remote on my iPod, I just push one button on my handlebar-mounted remote and it stops. Likewise, I can skip a song or adjust volume without taking my hand off the grip. Still, music through the zumo might be the best workaround for my upcoming trip, and I can work on something else later.

Archived