IGNORED

Tire pressure vs. mileage?

Sailorlite

I'm somewhat surprised that my current set of PR3s has worn differently than past sets of PR2s. My front PR3 is done at 10.5K mi. but the rear still has maybe 2K to go. The usual pressure has been 41/34 rear/front.

Am I correct in thinking that the next front PR3 would last longer if I ran it harder at say 38-40 psi? And that the rear might last as long as the front if I ran it softer also at 38-40?

It's convenient for me to replace tires in pairs, and 10K is satisfactory mileage - but I'd like to get a little more from the front and don't need quite as much from the rear.

38 is a very commonly used pressure for the front tire. I wouldn't lower the rear tire pressure just to reduce tire mileage...

When I buy a new (to me) set of tyres I usually pop on the manufacturer's site to see if they provide pressures for it. If they don't I drop an email. I usually get an answer very quickly.

On the PR3 Michelin said it should always be run at 36 front 42 rear. Heavier machines, like the Kawasaki C14, should be run at 42/42.

Your tyre pressures are almost in line with what Michelin says so no need to worry about pressure. Different wear is nothing wrong and is usually down to how the bike is ridden.

The sticker under the seat of my RT 1150 says to use 32 front and 36 rear for tire pressure for one-up riding. Should I use more pressure? I have a PR3 with about 1,000 on the front and a Metzler with unknown mileage on the back.

The sticker under the seat of my RT 1150 says to use 32 front and 36 rear for tire pressure for one-up riding. Should I use more pressure? I have a PR3 with about 1,000 on the front and a Metzler with unknown mileage on the back.

Michelin told me to run both the PR2 and the PR3 at the maximum (two up) pressure even when ridden alone and with no luggage. The field rep told me it has to do with the very soft construction they use in road tyres but I'll be damned if I can remember all the gory details. :grin:

Air pressure is an equation that can't be solved.

Once you buy specific tire, longevity is a matter of getting the right profile of rubber on the road for your roads and riding. But - once you buy the tire - there are more important issues in play. Yes, you can set the pressure for longevity profile if you want to. But better to buy a tire whose longevity you can live with.

Here's how you set the pressure. Start high and lower it until you start getting the squigglies. Simple as that. There is a trade-off between comfort and handling precision and that's the sub-equation you can reasonably solve.

The BMW sticker on the bike is for older tires. The tire manufacturer's opinion is about as helpful as phoning and asking if it is now time to eat lunch. Even if they had any useful idea about heavy liter bikes, they may have no idea about handling on a low CG boxer or your handling on your boxer... or what you want.

Hint: the Battlax 021 or 023 series seem to have great handling for lower pressures - so you can end up better in both respects. Maybe other tires too.

Ben

Interesting. I just put a set of PR3s on my RT. I mentioned to the dealer that I like to keep my tires inflated to the cold max if I can. He said the LB PD runs their bikes that way. When I got my bike with the new tires, they had inflated them both to the cold max, 42lbs. I rode it home that way. So far, I can't really feel any difference. BTW, I got almost 15k out of my last set of PR3s.

The pressure under the seat does NOT work. Too many sets of tires with premature wear at the recommended pressure. Even the exact same tires run one set at "recommended" and one set at 38psi, 42psi will show abnormal wear and early retirement at "recommended". Follow the people on this website they know a lot!

L-Mar -

My experience with several sets of PR2s is similar to yours - the fronts outlast the rears. But with the PR3's that's not the case. My front PR3 has lasted the usual 10K miles, but the rear is still going strong.

I'm speculating that running the front a little harder, say 38psi, will extend its life a little (so as to match the rear's life and extend the set's replacement interval).

I have about 14000 on my PR2's, both front and rear, and since I am always just 1 Up with the sidecases on, I keep my pressures at 40/40. Easy to remember and it seems to work just fine.

I'm betting I can get another 3-4000 out of them before approaching the TWI.

Archived