IGNORED

How do you deal with glare on your Garmin screen?

Runnor

I'm running a Garmin 660 on my 2012 R1200RT. It is mounted on a shelf over the dash just inside of the windshield, and is nearly vertical. In normal daylight, the screen has a significant amount of glare, making the screen very hard to see. If the sun is shining on it, you simply can't see the screen, even with brightness turned up.

I've seen aftermarket sunshades for GPS units, for between 10 and 20 bucks. Some are rigid plastic and relatively small, and some are much larger, and are soft and flexible, with Velcro to attach to the unit.

I've also seen some anti glare films.

Do these work? Which ones work better?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

John

The Glarestomper (soft Velcro)works fairly well.

My 660 is mounted in the same position as yours on my 2005 model.

What I have discovered is that the remaining glare comes of your jacket (if light colored or reflective) and the tank itself.

So people with Tank bags should do better.

I came up with a home-made sun shade made from a flexible plastic 3 ring binder and velcro. Worked well enough for me. It fell of at some point and I never bothered to put it back on.

try making one with some cardboard and tape - just to see if that solution is liable to do the trick - before you spend money on it.

Steve Kolenda

John,

I have the 665 and to me the inability to read the screen in direct sunlight is a major flaw in this GPS "designed by motorcyclist for motorcyclist". They must have been riding in the dark while testing. I have the glarestomper which helps a little but does not cure the problem. The only saving grace for me is that I have the audio going through my Autocomm so at least I can hear the directions if I'm unable to read the screen. Very disappointing for the money.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Robins Hoods for direct sunlight.

Haven't found a good solution for the reflective glare. Especially off of high vis gear.

Thanks for the comments. As you all reminded me, my worst glare is from my high Vis jacket. Wow! What do ya do with that? That is such a bummer.....

John

Camhead in STL
Does anyone use the anti glare films with any success?

I use a PhotoDon Maxi on my Flyer tablet, and now on my Galaxy Tab. They are awesome at reducing the reflection from my suit/jacket/etc. Doesn't look like they have precuts made YET for the motorcycle Garmins, but they will make dies if you want them... maybe a group by is in order. You could also cut your own.

I recommend the MXG (maximum antiglare).

The BMW tank bag on my 2010 RT is the biggest problem for me. Why they put a silver reflective stripe on the front baffles me. I put a piece of black tape across it but the plastic map window throws off a ton of glare.

Archived