IGNORED

Waterproof a Datel meter?

ElevenFifty

I'm reinstalling a Datel LCD voltmeter in my dash ... it is NOT waterproof. What method/product do you recommend to protect it? The case is open at the back and the circuit board is visible.

Thanks

D

Kinda depends where you're gonna mount it. I would recommend a spot that would keep the water off the electronics, if not, then try using a tool dip (where you can dip the handles and provide some isolation from electricity) on the exposed circuit board. The front may require some careful application of clear silicon sealer.

Good Luck!

Forgive me for asking, but I'm curious why you don't install the waterproof version of the Datel? If that question is out of line here, please know that I will smack myself if you say so.

I had a voltmeter installed on the dash of my V-Strom and never had any problems with moisture. I can't remember the brand I used, sorry. I think the location helped keep it free from the bulk of the moisture.

It utilized 2 green, 2 amber and 2 red lights to indicate status. This worked just fine for me. The Wee could only handle the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves while under way. At stops the voltmeter lights would go from 2 green - to 1 amber & 1 red. I learned to turn the Gerbing controller down to near off, when stopped.

In this photo the voltmeter is located along the top right side of the *dash*, near the lower right side of the windscreen. I used it there for 2 years with no issues.

i-WxKhnLQ-XL.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You might want only a two component product. Bad things may happen with acetic acid or single component curing RTV. They tend to deposit a vinegar like coating during cure.

I've seen two component urethane conformal coating material used in aerospace electronics.

That sounds right, Greg. Thanks. At the time I bought it I didn't find much of a selection in waterproof or water resistant voltmeters.

I added a Datel meter to my '08 Suzuki DL650 (Wee Strom). The meter is on a plate that attaches to the handlebar mount, so the back is rather exposed to the elements. I brushed the connectors and the back of the meter with a couple of layers of liquid electrical tape. I don't remember the circuit board being exposed, but I may not have noticed it. I took a long ride on the bike earlier this year - up to the Arctic Circle, across Canada to Michigan, down to Tucson. The first part of the trip featured a lot of rain, but the meter never faltered. I suspect that you would be just fine mounting the meter in the dash where it is somewhat protected.

Peter Akraboff, San Francisco

'73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA, '06 Kawasaki EX500, '08 Suzuki DL650A

Sounds like the same one I have. The big issue (waterproofing wise) is not just the circuit board but around the edges of the actual glass LCD display. I tool mine apart (removing the bezel) and carefully with a toothpick sealed it all up with clear silicon. Then I did the same thing all over the back at the board. Been fine in many a rain (and the way mine sits it tilts up slightly so it catches a lot) for several years now.

Thanks everybody ...

I originally installed the LCD because the display matched the RID in appearance. I thought it would be fine in the dash but a downpour in FL doomed it so I got the factory waterproof LED version. Turns out that the LED is twice an deep as the LCD and while it fit the hole in the dash, it bumped up against the RID and stuck out about 1/2". I just got tired of looking at it hanging out there and decided to put an LCD style back in.

I think I've got it watertight now ... lots of silicone ... time will tell ;~)

Archived