IGNORED

Tire road noise

mwood7800

Have pr3 on my rt and am disappointed in the road noise. They were quite just like the pr2 until I put 2500 miles on them. I would pay more for less noise. Has anyone found a better tire for road noise?

Cupping and wear patterns cause tires to get nosier as they wear.

Although noise is a factor in cage tire technology, i don't think MC tire manufacturers put much engineering effort into noise reduction.

Noise is part of the MC experience.

Tire noise, both from the tread pattern and the carcass itself, is a complicated issue; has to do with tread pattern, road surface, ambient temp and bike configuration (noise access to rider), etc.

Although tread pattern improvements have been made in recent years, it's still more of a cosmetic/marketing issue. When one maker shows something new that looks "hot", the other makers follow...

And, it can change with tire pressure/use/wear/miles. My observation is that even noisy tires can become "just" another background noise after time/miles. We all have a priority list of tire characteristics (mileage, noise, steering response, price, etc.).

Just another factor to occupy our interest.

The Z8 front seems quieter as is conti Road Attack

The Z8 on the rear squares off way to early so my prefered combo is a PR2 Rear and Z8 front for mileage, noise and cupping issues.

I've done 67,000 miles of testing to come to this conclusion

\v/

Has anyone found a better tire for road noise?

My RT has ME880s on it and you will be hard pressed to find a noiser front tire than mine... :rofl:

Seriously, this is by far the loudest tire I've ever had. It roars only when leaned over. When you are running straight it is quiet as can be. I don't remember my other 880s doing this.

Tire noise, both from the tread pattern and the carcass itself, is a complicated issue; has to do with tread pattern, road surface, ambient temp and bike configuration (noise access to rider), etc.

Although tread pattern improvements have been made in recent years, it's still more of a cosmetic/marketing issue. When one maker shows something new that looks "hot", the other makers follow...

And, it can change with tire pressure/use/wear/miles. My observation is that even noisy tires can become "just" another background noise after time/miles. We all have a priority list of tire characteristics (mileage, noise, steering response, price, etc.).

Just another factor to occupy our interest.

+1

Archived