IGNORED

New top case

janpat3839

Recently bought a top case but need to change lock. bike in question is a "03" 1150 RT top case is a 22ltr I have a lock to put back in once I get other removed, but help how to removed when I don't have key!!!

I have just done a new lock on a new topcase.

The key must be inserted and the locked turned to extract it.

A pin is then inserted into the side of the lock (on the inside of the case) to extract it.

I would think you will need to drill the old lock out.

Do not go too deep or too wide.

The new lock should guide you. You need to essentially drill the pawls into 2 pieces (or enough for them to be pulled out with pliers.

The last (deepest) pawl holds the lock in. When you can rotate the lock, insert a probe to press it down and remove the lock.

Garry

This is the manual's instructions on drilling out the fuel cap lock. I think it would be similar for the pannier"

Drilling out lock barrel

e Attention:

Note drilling depth. Make sure that metal chips do

not drop into the fuel tank.

• Use a 4-5 mm (0.1574-0.1968 in) dia. drill bit to

drill the full length of the lock barrel.

• Continue to increase the diameter of the drill bit

until the lock barrel can be extracted.

The same instructions are given for the ignition lock.

If there is an easier way to extract lock barrel that does not require the key, then I too would love to know it.

Garry

thank you to all who contributed to this thread, I did end up going to Dealer for $50 (they picked lock). To replace entire lock because orange tang was broke off, $160 replacement cost is difficult to cough up...

is it true that top case lock and side case locks are the same. because if I replace complete assemblies because tang is broke Realoem.com has parts but doesn't differentiate between top case and side case

Archived