IGNORED

Where to find memory foam for a MC seat?

Whip

Bad Idea. MF is too susceptible to ambient weather. In heat it will mush and bottom out and in cold it's hard like a rock till it warms up then will mush out.

Bad Idea. MF is too susceptible to ambient weather. In heat it will mush and bottom out and in cold it's hard like a rock till it warms up then will mush out.

Ce Bailey and Rick Mayer both use a form of memory foam in their seats.

Just go to the store and buy a MF pillow and use that as your foam source. Should be plenty of it for a MC seat. You're going to want to use other foam types too though - probably a latex layer and maybe a poly one as well. Those you can get at a large fabric or craft store.

Hi Whip-

I have a source for all kinds of foams and supplies to make any cushion, ticking, and accessories you may need a few miles up the road from me. I reupholstered my seats for my Antique British Ford with their materials which worked well and convenient for me. I would at least give them a ring and discuss what you are looking for. You may find what you want right in your own backyard too.

http://www.albanyfoam.com/

You might try Dynamic Systems at www.sunmatecushions.com/

I have used these folks before. Great to work with. they will send you a little box of samples if you request.

Yep, these guys. But you'll need more than one density, I think, including a base that is not memory foam, or is at least super-firm.

I used some of their stuff trying to make the FJR seat work for my busted tailbone. Nothing helped with that bike, though.

Not hard to get memory foam from suppliers but hard to know what to spec as it comes in different "strengths" and thicknesses.

I bought a hunk to make a seat (but then found a Corbin bargain). My best guess is that it doesn't have the ergos for a bike saddle. For sure, I would plan on layering it with stiff conventional Boyles Law foam.

Easy to test how you like it by sitting on a Tempurpedic pillow or otherwise doing mock-up testing. Anything to do with ergos should have mock-up tests and purpose-built mods.

At my write-ups URL below, I have pictures and discussion of the steps I used in making a Corbin backrest to suit my wife (to replace that awful mistake of a backrest that Corbin sells).

When it comes to upholstery, sheepskin is the space-age material.

Ben

You might try Dynamic Systems at www.sunmatecushions.com/

I have used these folks before. Great to work with. they will send you a little box of samples if you request.

Yep, these guys. But you'll need more than one density, I think, including a base that is not memory foam, or is at least super-firm.

I used some of their stuff trying to make the FJR seat work for my busted tailbone. Nothing helped with that bike, though.

Dynamic Systems has instructions available on their web site for modifying a motorcycle seat at http://www.sunmatecushions.com/LinkClicke19d.pdf?fileticket=XwDukWwV_Jo%3d&tabid=81

For my 1100S, I went (on the advice of SWMBO) to Joanne's Fabrics. They had foam by the yard (cut to order) of several densities. I bought two thicknesses of some dense stuff and put it on top of the Corbin "foam" :P and stretched the leather back over that. MUCH better. Still not a DayLong, BUTT much better :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link — great information there. I happen to have a spare Sargent seat that never really fit me, and this may give me the incentive for a winter project.

Archived