IGNORED

Tire Balancing Beads

RevRay

I don't. I'm not a fan of adding any additional unsprung weight. I've also heard that they can wear down in size and get stuck in the air valve.

I'll say this. I used them once on my previous bike--an F800ST. I had a set of tires that cupped badly. I put Dynabeads in the replacement tires. Same tires, same bike, same roads, same rider. The second set did not cup.

As a political scientist, I realize that to have an accurate test, I would have needed more data, perhaps alternating with and without over four or more sets of tires. But I traded the bike soon afterwards. I have a different brand of tires on my current bike and don't have serious cupping issues, so I haven't gone back to the beads.

So in my case, I would say that the evidence suggested that they might help.

On the other hand, I couldn't feel any of the increased smoothness that the manufacturers claim. But I live in Pennsylvania where, I'm convinced, we hire engineers from Burkina Faso to maintain our roads. So nothing is going to make for a smooth ride.

OK, once again into the breach. I used to work for Firestone and somedays we had little to do in the shop. One day this moron came in with a newish Chrysler that was outfitted from the JC Whitney catalog. for instance he had the TOLIET PAPER oil filter and believed in it (FIFTY! THOUSAND! MILES! BETWEEN! OIL! CHANGES! ETC, ETC). The fact that his oil was black as tar and his less than year old car smoked did not make an impression on him. Well he wanted balancing beads put in all his new tires so we put balancing beads in all his tires. While we were doing this we put the tire-wheels on the spin balancer. Balancing beads do not balance. Balancing beads do not balance. Balancing beads do not balance. There is a theme here. Generally if it seems too good to be true it usually is not true. By the way Firestone was one of the worst places to get a tire in America in the 70's. Look up Steel Belted 500's, V-1 radial, etc.

Morning Rev Ray

Those things (balancing beads) do work as some trucking companies use them.

For constant speed on difficult to keep in balance tires or difficult to balance heavy tires they have their place.

They also have their down side or most car, light truck, & motorcycle manufactures would just toss them into new car & light truck tires as that would mean no initial balance required & no warrantee return balance concerns (they don't so that tells us a lot).

One thing I do know is those beads don't show good results on a wheel balancing machine as the wheel assembly displacement isn't enough to allow proper bead distribution.

They don’t get along with heavy moisture in the tire in cold weather, or tire repair plugs, or any type of sealant in the tire, or in tires with a lot of exposed uneven internal ribbing.

Personally on my slower motorcycles like my BMW RT & GS I just balance the wheels (no tires on the rims) then just mount new tires with no additional balancing (some new tires are so good as built they don't even have match mounting paint dots anymore).

Added: the upside is they are good for show vehicles that you don't want any ugly wheel weights showing on. They are also a viable option if you have a tire already mounted on the bike & have a balance issue (like a lost balance weight). The beads can be added with the tire/wheel still on the bike.

I've been kind of skeptical of these things over the years but here's a pretty cool video showing a simple experiment someone ran to illustrate them in action.

Afternoon AL

It also shows the imbalance period it goes through every time it is accelerated (spun up) from a stand still.

One thing that may be interesting to discuss is if you use common balancing of a tire with weights, what happens as the tire wears and the tire comes out of balance? Usually you have to re-balance them-right? Well, if you don't re-balance them, you may experience an unbalanced wear pattern. Or, if the wheel weights fall off and you don't notice it...

With the beads, this should not be an issue as they are not static in position like a wheel weight.

I have used these beads for 7 years. Not because I think they are amazing, it's just that I don't own a tire balancer and thought I'd try them. In 7 years I have not experienced any odd tire wear or cupping or vibration when riding. Another benefit is in my tubed GS tires, the beads don't have to be replaced at a tire change as long as I reuse the tube.

I'm not trying to say it is a miracle product, only that they work for me.

Afternoon AL

It also shows the imbalance period it goes through every time it is accelerated (spun up) from a stand still.

Yes that's true although even that appears to be reduced from the original. A fun experiment would be to try various substances to see what the outcome is. (e.g. BBs, ball bearings, marbles, taclum powder, M&M's, etc.). It would also be cool to see the beads using one of those high speed cameras to really see what was going on with the motion and distribution. Fun stuff.

P.S. I'm glad these things weren't around when I was a kid. I can see me putting a brick in my mom's dryer and dumping about a pound of this stuff in to see what happened.

This is why I keep coming back for more. Since I have a coffee can full of weights and a static balancing rig I'll continue to use lead weights. At twenty dollars X 3 tire changes a year it can get expensive. Unless they can be reused?

Evening Rev Ray

Next tire change balance the rim (without tire) then mark those weights so you know they are permanent.

Then just balance check the tire/wheel assembly after mounting, bet it won't need much added to correct it.

I've never used balancing beads but I have a friend who has. Last year, he was on an 11,000 mile Alaska tour with his 1200GS. He had arranged to have a new set of Hidenaus waiting for him at a shop somewhere in Alaska along about the time he figured he would be needing tires. The shop installed the tires and used balancing beads. My buddy was sceptical but the beads have worked fine.

Does anyone use these?

You won't get a new bike or car from factory with them installed.

Tire manufacturers don't use them in their test fleets.

Indycars don't use them

NASCARs don't use them.

F1 cars don't use them.

I can't resist! People who haven't used DB's haven't used them You can find 000's of posts on many websites by those who have usded them that swear they work. I am one of those people. I have used them on tubeless and tubed tires. Used to have a Parnes balancer, which is first class, tried DB's, and have given away all my stick on wts. Some don't balance tires anymore, just line up the dots and ride. But, if you haven't tried the beads you don't know what you are talking about, IMO of course, regardless of your rationale.

Really? You can find "000's of posts on many websites?" I've never searched for 000's of posts before! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I know what you were trying to say, and agree with the rationale.)

Hi. Moron from Australia here...

I use them in my bikes, both sport and touring. I like them, they seem to work well and have removed the cupping problem from my tires, especially the front on my Beemer.

I've seen these threads before and they always end up inconclusive. The engineers say that they don't work, the people that try them normally say that they do.

Linz :)

This is why I keep coming back for more. Since I have a coffee can full of weights and a static balancing rig I'll continue to use lead weights. At twenty dollars X 3 tire changes a year it can get expensive. Unless they can be reused?

Yes, the Dyna Beads can be re-used: before you break the bead, drill a hole in the center of the tread, then "pour" the beads into a container.

A fun experiment would be to try various substances to see what the outcome is. (e.g. BBs, ball bearings, marbles, talcum powder, M&M's, etc.).

Don't you go threatening M&Ms with a hideous demise like that! Eat them while you watch the other things go roundy-round, preferably with a beer.

People who haven't used DB's haven't used them
I've used them. No discernible difference in mileage or tire wear or ride quality. Maybe it's me but since I couldn't tell, my last set of sneakers didn't get them.

Another fun experiment is to put a tube of BBs in a tire as it is mounted then let someone else try to static balance it. Usually they would fool around for about 20 minutes then try to dynamic balance it. By then they would catch on that they were being harassed by the guys and start cussing.

Well they can be reused with some difficulty in tubed tires and easily in tubeless but the tires I have taken down with them have had a little to a lot of "powder" inside where they have worn down while rolling around in there. In fact, one car had all powder and no beads left. Still we would transfer the powder if that is what the owner wanted at Firestone. Drilling a hole in some treads is a little tough when you run into steel wire so we just broke down the tire and vacummed them out into a clean shop vac on tubeless tires and cut the tube on tubed tires if that was OK with the owner. Some owners never replaced their tubes or the beads with new??? While I would usually go through two tires without replacing a tube; I found plenty of tubes with age cracks and thinning from cars that had gone through many tires in their life. I doubt anyone? would do what the owners wanted now in the same circumstances.

Hi Ray!

I put Dyna Beads in Georgi's front and rear tires on the Ninja. I had just replaced her rear tire (all by myself for the first time!) She was very impressed and said the ride was smooth as glass. Admittedly that is very unscientific as the tires could have been well balanced from the factory as Dirtrider had mentioned he has found. I'll try them in my next set of tires and see if I still like them as much.

The thing is, I can now make most of the same positive claims as using the beads. Just changed out my tires from late summer riding. Last set of tires I used no beads & no balancing. Definitely smoother ride & increased tire life.

-- I can now offer positive evidence that NOT using beads or balancing the tires makes them last longer. I just replaced a set of Z-8's that went more miles than I have ever gotten from a set of tires on any of my hexheads.

The thing is, I can now make most of the same positive claims as using the beads. Just changed out my tires from late summer riding. Last set of tires I used no beads & no balancing. Definitely smoother ride & increased tire life.

-- I can now offer positive evidence that NOT using beads or balancing the tires makes them last longer. I just replaced a set of Z-8's that went more miles than I have ever gotten from a set of tires on any of my hexheads.

Dirtrider, I respect your technical knowledge and I am amazed at the time and energy you spend helping people. But this post shows another side of you. A wonderful dry sense of humor. :grin: I hope everybody recognizes that!

A few years ago I changed my approach to spending considerable time ballancing my wheels (no tires). This is particularly important if you have TPMS. I find the tires are pretty well ballanced from the factory but the wheels really need it. The few times I've double checked, I find there is either zero difference or maybe a 1/4 oz which is insignificant.

That's because you filled your tires with Nitrogen :rofl:

That's because you filled your tires with Nitrogen.

Morning outpost22

Actually you are pretty close.

I take great pains in making sure I use 78% (+/- a bit) nitrogen. That has worked just great for me for many many years.

What is interesting to me is that "believers" always see the results they expected.

Nitrogen in tires? Check

Deer Whistles? Check

Balancing Beads? Check

Guardian Angel Bells? Check

In the for what it's worth category, I have used balancing "media" in my 3/4 Ton Dodge Ram for the past 150,000 miles and four sets of tires. I generally protest the little donut tires they put on these trucks, so I jumped four sizes (245 -> 285). I also prefer an aggressive tread because I use the truck off road to hunt and gather firewood. The point in sharing this information is that large aggressive tires are prone to balance issues. Lots of extra rubber to balance but also...as that heavy rubber wears away, balance changes!! Not to mention, Chrysler didn't design the suspension on this truck to handle a tire four sizes larger.

Moving on and simply stated, I absolutely love balancing media. I've never used Dynabeads so I cannot comment on that particular brand but I'm here to tell you...as long as I have a truck without internal tire pressure monitors.. I WILL continue to use it.

Something you should know: balance media cannot be used with internal tire pressure monitors or in Hummers with that super cool auto inflation system. Balancing media cannot be used exclusively in car tires. In smaller car tires, they recommend the media as a suppliment to traditional weights. Which by the way I think holds merit in that it would keep the tire in balance for the life of the tire. However, once you add media... you can never put that tire on a balance machine. Major downfall if for some reason you lose a weight and have to have the tire rebalanced. they'll have to break the bead and suck out all the media and start over.

So where does that put you on a motorcycle tire? I'm not 100% sure. My gut tells me I wouldn't use media exclusively (assuming the manufacturer claims you can). Adding the beads as a suppliment... yeah maybe.

I consider myself an experienced user of balancing media and I would NOT feel comfortable telling you to use it on a bike. (my 2 cents)

Archived