IGNORED

Low Beam Replacements on 2011 R1200 RT - With What?

Michael B

On a recent 5-day trip, I lost my right low beam the first day and then the left on day three at around 18,500 miles (both OEM bulbs were replaced under warranty by the dealer with standard H-7 bulbs...very nice). From fellow Forum members I understand cycle headlight bulbs have a somewhat short life span. Also, is it unusual to lose both in such short succession?

Should the smart rider simply replace low beams (or high) with standard H-7 bulbs, open the wallet for a couple of HID bulbs, or go the Full Monte with LED's? What is the common wisdom of each...good, bad, or fugetaboutit!? Where is the best place to buy the best option?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You might pass on HID if you have bluetooth. Some interfere and either need braided sleeving or a ferrite choke on the line.

Paul In Australia

I have found when one headlight bulb goes the other follows pretty soon after. Has on mine anyway. If you don't ride dark back roads a lot just replace with h7

Regards

Paul

Morning Michael

It's not just motorcycles, H-7 bulbs are kind of high stressed filament bulbs so have a shorter life span even in automobiles.

Some riders have used the Osram H-7 "burner" (basically an H-9 bulb with an H-7 base) as it has a bit bigger filament & more light output & supposedly a longer life. I have personally tried those & the first set didn't last any longer that stock H-7's, the second set did go a bit longer though.

So far the longest lasting H-7's I have tried have been the cheapest H-7 bulb available (some real cheap G.E.). When it comes to H-7 bulbs the more light they "claim" to put out it seems the shorter their life expectancy.

One thing I do is when one burns out I replace both at that time as the second is usually just hours away from joining the first.

Osram Nightbreaker is my suggestion.

I have been using them for years on the car and all the bikes.

They now have the "Plus" version out which promises a longer lifespan and, judging by what I am seeing, they may be right.

Yes, it's not as good as HID but it's 100% road legal (at least here in Europe) and there's a very definite improvement over standard bulbs.

Also consider this: some RT's tend to go through an awful lot of bulbs when "young". Mine was one of these: the pace seems to have slowed somewhat since I passed the 50000km mark and a couple of high-mileage owners I've met assured me it will get much better once the 80K mark is passed.

I found that the "ultra", "super" whatever bulbs don't last very long (in my experience) and didn't, in fact seem much brighter anyway. The last time I replaced bulbs I tried an Osram bulb that's advertised as a "high output" alternative to standard H7 but with the same life. I know, it sounds too good to be true but I actually found a lot of user comments recommending them. Based on that I decided to give them a try.

I've only had them in for a few thousand miles so I can't comment on longevity but they are noticeably brighter than the standard H7. I picked a set up from Candle Power who were prompt and easy to deal with. No affiliation.

my HIDs have lasted 4 years which is much longer than the standard or higher output bulbs previously tried in the bike.

Standard---3 years

Hi Output---1 year

Plus the HIDs low beams are much brighter without ticking off other drivers.

malcolmblalock

Yesterday I installed HID lights on my 09 RT. Bike has 58K on the odometer and has been through 3 sets of H7 bulbs to date (better than my 05 RT, but still unacceptable).

Found them at DDM Tuning for $35 for both low beams, a real bargain considering the quality of the kits.

Hopefully these HID lights will last a while and not mess up my Bluetooth too much...

Hopefully these HID lights will last a while and not mess up my Bluetooth too much...
Seven years with HIDs on the 1150 and 1200 along with bluetooth headsets (currently Sena) with zero issues from any interference.

Thanks everyone for your advice on replacing low beams. From your comments It sounds like HID would be the best choice but it appears more is needed than just the bulb. Please advise what is involved (I am not very technical) in converting to HID. Does tupperware need to be removed, and does something else attached to the bulb need to be mounted behind the headlights? How difficult is it? Michael B

There is some variation in HID kits but most require that you drill hole in the round rear bulb cover. All have a ballast box per bulb that neds to be hidden in the front, pretty simple. Fitting the HID bulb is about the same as changing a stock bulb. If you've never done a set and have the correct hole saw in yor tools you'll proably need a couple hours or a little more. Folks good at this sort of thing can easily do it 45 minutes..

The brightest H-7s you can by are the Osram 65W (see Candlepower website). Std lifespan with about 40% more light. Std color temp, not nigher. You can't go higher wattage than that onstock wiring.

Blowing bulbs close to each other is normal AND EXPECTED behavior. Bulbs are by far most suscepitble to filament burn at startup due to the current surge that happens on start as the filament comes to operating temp. Some more sophisitistad stuff using halogen bulbs have "soft starters" thatreamp voltage over a fraction of a second to extend bulb life.

Michael

Here are the H7 lamps available from Sylvania in the USA for our bikes. The lamp life ranges from 90 hours to 270 hours. If we do the math for 18,000 miles at 60 mph (which will be more like 40 mph realistically) we get 300 hours.

Whether we use Osram/Sylvania, Philips, GE, all manufacturers post this information. There are many factors determining lamp life including voltage, temperature, vibration, and manufacturer quality.

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=H7

Here is a chart of the lamp life (scroll down).

http://sylvaniaautomotivecatalog.wbdev.com/GenTechInfo.aspx

Osram has a new H7 lamp with 1100 hour life, probably only available in Europe.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/automotive-lamps/automotive-motorcycles/halogen-light/ultra-life/index.jsp

Just saying all H7 lamps are not reated equal.

Terry

I got away with removing only the right side on my 04 RT but it took a little doing and scraped skin. One thing, attach the HID ballast? box with zip ties then double what you did, then gorilla tape it too. re-tighten zip ties next time the covers are off. There is a lot of vibration in the front. 4 years, no problems, lots of light, saw several deer I would not have seen without the HID. Basically the bulb and about a 2x3x6 inch ballast box are up there along with some wires so watch what may rub on the wires! I covered mine with a length split clear tubing and then check it each time I have covers off. Check and recheck clearances with fork to full left and right and think about a fully compressed fork also depending on how you set it up. Instructions come with the light I hope but won't cover each bike.

• 1 month later...
malcolmblalock

For mine, I just added the kit. Canbus shows no faults or any other change. Bluetooth(s) work fine. All is well for me, and I LOVE the white lights!

Archived