IGNORED

Vinyl versus Leather?

telekon

I have decided to pull the trigger and order a Rick Mayer saddle for my '08 R1200RT.

Is there a strong opinion one way or the other regarding vinyl versus leather? Is one really better than the other, or is it simply a matter of personal preference?

I don't have an issue with the added cost + maintenace of leather -- instead just wondering if there was clearly a better choice.

After a few years you'll notice wear cracks in the leather. May or may not bother you. Rain cover can be a PITA

If you ride in jeans the leather may feel more comfortable. ATGATT, you probably wouldn't know the difference.

Not to discourage you, Rick makes a nice seat but Russell makes a better one.

Pat

I've had 3 Rick Mayer seats and 2 Russells. I prefer the Rick Mayer. I also prefer leather to vinyl. I've never used the rian cover. Had leather saddles on horses for years with no rain cover and no problem. I've ridden in plenty of rain with no after effects. Leather seems to breathe a little better in the summer. Sometimes I use an Alaska Sheep Skin pad on the seat for even better breathing in the summer and more warmth in the winter. My $.02

My vote is for leather. Breathes better and a little cooler in the hot weather. I have a Rick Mayer leather seat and love it. Have the rain cover and use it most of the time.

Jeff

2011 R1200RT

2004 Ducati ST3

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Leather unless you have Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants. Looks like mine might be causing wear on the few months old seat on the piping edges especially.

Honestly, I've had both and never noticed much of a difference. But, I usually wear Cordura or leather pants, which are not exactly conducive to airflow. On my leather seats, I've used a product called Leather CPR and never had any cracking or deterioration.

Well I'm in Redding now and I'm getting mine made tomorrow in Shasta Lake and I'm getting vinyl.

I've had leather before. And I don't know how you keep your leather 'breathing'. Mine never breathed. It only caused me to boil and sweat like crazy.

In terms of car seats, I clearly think cloth is the best.

So I suppose I'll be happy with the vinyl. That's what I have on the bike now and I never had any problem with it.

They do recommend the cover tho', as they do stitching in the seat that will allow water in, if the bike sits out in the rain at night.

dc

malcolmblalock

I have leather now (a Russell), but I'll not have leather again. Slip and slide, that's what leather does for me. And it absorbs moisture (ie rain, dew, etc).

Leather looks great, but vinyl is more utilitarian, IMO.

Never had a leather moto saddle but I'd choose vinyl. If you need a bit more ventilation comfort, simply add an Alaska or Sheepy Hollow sheepskin pad retained in position by attached sewn elastic webbing w/ fastex-style buckles (beneath seat).

I have Russells in both leather and vinyl. As well as other aftermarket brands in both leather and vinyl. I don't get the "breathes better" part. I don't think either one "breathes". Cloth is by far more comfortable ( I have a custom seat for the RT in cloth ) but obviously stays wet after a rain. I have found leather in all cases to be slicker to sit on. I don't like that. I have also found leather to show wear on the edges ( die wearing off ) much sooner than vinyl. Leather is a touch softer, not sure if that always equates to more comfortable for long rides. Add in the extra cost and maintenance of leather, I'll take the high quality vinyls available today.

Archived