IGNORED

GPS - Garmin Montana?

Plasterman

Anyone know anything about the Garmin Montana? Is it bike friendly?

Tom

Absolutely. I bought one a year ago to replace my Garmin 276C. I was not a fan of the Zumo series and the Montana was the closest to my 276C that I could find in a "new technology" GPS. It is strictly a navigator (routes and tracks), and does not have Bluetooth capability, though it does have audio out from the rugged mount (this optional mount is very good, and inexpensive, by the way). It does not come with detailed maps, just a basemap, so you'll need to buy City Navigator (assuming you want it for on-road use and to follow routes you create on your PC/Mac and upload to the Montana). If you want to check out everything you ever wanted to know about the Montana (and more), there is a humungous thread over on ADVRider.com (just go to the Layin' Down Tracks sub-forum). You can also check out the Montana Wiki site here:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com

Anyone know anything about the Garmin Montana? Is it bike friendly?

Tom

P.S., BMW thinks enough of it as a motorcycle GPS to start selling it in 2013 as a re-branded BMW Navigator (to be know as the "Adventure Navigator"). Here's a short excerpt from BMW's international site in the section that talks about GS Trophy 2012:

Garmin

For BMW Motorrad, Garmin is the first choice when it comes to navigation. This is reflected in a partnership which goes back many years.

For the GS Trophy 2012, not only will the tried-and-tested BMW Motorrad Navigator IV be in use but also an entirely new device produced by Garmin: the BMW Motorrad "Adventure" navigator. This is based on the Garmin Montana and will not be available in stores until next year. However, the very first of these devices will be put to use in the GS Trophy. With its robust casing, the Adventure is excellently suited to the demanding off-road requirements of the GS Trophy.

With this brand new piece of equipment, every team will be able to tackle the navigation tests. Garmin will also be supporting the GS Trophy 2012 with Adventure devices and mounts for all back-up vehicles, as well as providing maps for South America.

I bought one a year ago to replace my Garmin 276C.

Why?

Stan

I was tired of not being able to load maps of all of North America at one time, among other things, and I wanted to "upgrade" to newer technology (like a much more sensitive GPS receiver).

Archived