IGNORED

Winter Gloves

Rinkydink

After perusing many many search results concerning cold weather gloves I have pretty much decided to take the plunge on a pair of Held gloves. My only question is which model to buy. I really like the Steve Classic (not really a winter glove) but it doesn't look like they will be warm enough even with liners and heated grips. The Warm n Dry look very nice and have the protection I prefer as most winter gloves lean more toward warmth than crash protection. I would love to hear from fellow Held owners and their opinions. Thanks

I've got a pair of Held Ice Breakers that I really like. I wear them all winter commuting here in Seattle. They're nice and warm, like a good ski glove, with a little extra crash padding. Between that, and heated grips, I can ride all afternoon in freezing temps (Oh joy!). Oddly, the sizing is weird. I usually wear an L or XL, and these are labelled XXXL. Try them on at the store, for sure.

I also have a pair of older steves. They're padded on the back, but there's no insulation on the palm, so they work well with heated grips. Very nice gloves. Mine have "held" up nicely... They must be 5 - 7 years old, I guess. They are comfortable around here most of the year. They might suffice for an Arkansas winter. I don't know - how cold does it get down there?

I'm kindof hard on stuff, and I think Held makes a top notch glove.

I have a pair of the Steve gloves and they are the best for most of my rides until it gets below 50 then the Olympia gels get used. Any colder than that I start to wimp out!

:grin:

Ols Steve's, prob 6-7 yrs and a couple hundred thousand miles.

Still go to pair.

Heat is only way to go in Winter, IMO.

Have G3's, and Olympis leather insulated, and First Gear, old model that are for cold/wet keep you warm and dry (model name I forget), and a pair of Olympia high viz accent cold/wet insulated.

Many ways to get hands warm, the dry part is more important, IMO.

Silk glove liners help w/warmth.

Aerostitch triple digit covers add to warmth and cut air infiltration.

I got Held W&D this winter. For mild NC winter so far they have been great with heated grips. I crash tested them last week, held up pretty well, cannot blame the gloves for the broken wrist :(

pics here

I've got a set of the Held Warm and Dry and do not consider them a true winter glove. They're OK at a bit lower temp than my Steve's but not by very much.

I also own and use the Gerbings G-3 (not waterproof) and BMW Winter Glove. They are needed when temps go to high 30s or lower.

The Warm & Dry is an ordinary quality glove that comes fairly stiff and needs some break in. It could benefit substantially by an upgrade in materials similar to Held Steve, IMO.

If you like winter riding, you can also benefit from mountingsome handguards to keep wind off your fingertips. This extends the useful lower temp range of glov about 10 degrees for any type. My RT and K-GT both have a set of S-7 Barkbusters for that purpose.

I bought a pair of Vanson Lineman gloves about 13 years ago. Long gauntlet, heavy leather, good lining, and they keep my hands warm in the winter. Decidedly low tech. Mine have faded to light gray on the backs over the years but are otherwise in great condition. About $120.

line_lg.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I ordered the warm and drys from Revzilla yesterday.I wanted a warm glove but the protection they offer was my main concern.

Archived