IGNORED

question on led replacement bulbs

eddd

I'm looking into replacing my tail/stop light bulbs (1157) with the LED type like these.

I'm looking for input from anyone with first-hand experience with these types of bulbs.

Thanks.

I had two 19 LED dual intensity lamps on a previous bike. I reverted back to traditional light bulbs because, plainly put, they were nowhere near as bright as advertised and even less bright than a cheap traditional bulb. So if your intention is to be seen... buy a better one. :grin:

About CAN-BUS specific LED bulbs... they work as advertised (they don't trigger the diagnostic system).

Morning eddd

A few things to keep in mind when installing LED bulbs.

_A lot of LED's are not very bright in the sunlight so make sure the ones you get have enough contrast in the direct sunlight so drivers behind you can see them. Just because they look real bright at night doesn't make them bright in sunlight.

_For an LED to work properly the light emitting part or end should be facing the direction you want them to seen. On multi-directional LEDs the part not facing the lens won't do a lot of good.

_The color of the LED array should be the same color as the lens the light passes through. IF you have a red lens use a red LED, with an orange lens use an orange LED, etc. With a clear lens you can use a red or orange LED without issue.

A correct LED match up using a correct color for the lens & facing the correct direction can work well but it takes a good (complete) system to be seen better than a conventional bulb in bright sunlight. The auto companies & some motorcycle companies make them work but they put a LOT of time, testing, & measurement into making them work correctly.

See this review.

The big catch is that incandescent bulbs throw light in nearly all directions, and fixtures designed to use them have reflectors that focus (concentrate) all that light in the desired direction. LEDs, on the other hand, tend to throw light in only direction. This makes designing a replacement bulb very difficult. Some have tried putting as many as 19 LEDs on a little tower, with most of the bulbs facing the side and couple straight up. From what I've read, a very few of these work as well as a cheap incandescent bulb, IF there's enough room for the LED tower inside the light housing.

If this is for your new bike, I think you ought to ask on an FJR forum, because what works on another bike may not work on the FJR.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish by switching to LEDs?

Like Bill, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but if it's rear visibility, like you had on your RT, Buckster's idea, with my genius fabrication abilities, makes THIS the best thing I've yet come across to scare the bejeesus out of that lady in the Mercedes talking on the phone and doing her eye makeup.

For a brake light, a main question is how well does the onset of the bulb alert drivers behind you. That means from their angle and includes color changes, size of lamp, etc.

Even if an LED bulb is a bit less alerting, do you check your filament bulb every ride twice to make it is there for you? And carry a spare on trips like we're all done for years and years.

I rather like having a bike bulb that doesn't blow out.

Ben

Archived