IGNORED

Repainting ABS plastic

philbytx

My R1100R is Metallic Graphite. And I recently obtained a nice Black tank for my bike and now wish to respray the front fender and two side panels Gloss Black. Has anyone used that Krylon Fusion paint on their tupperware and, if so, do you have any tips for prep and spray.

Thank y'all in advance.

Afternoon Phil

Can't say as I have ever tried Krylon plastic paint but have painted a number of automotive & motorcycle plastic panels.

I use a standard painting techniques for painting automotive plastics using thorough pre-sanding, then a quality plastic adhesion promoter, followed by either a thin layer of recommended primer or topcoat-- topcoat/clear-coat. For things like bumpers or flexible fenders I also add a COMPATIBLE flex agent to the paint.

My fear in using a rattle can of Krylon is probably not the best of adhesion additives & for the price range of a can of Krylon little or no UV protection so fading in direct sunlight would be distinct possibility. (good paint with good UV protection isn't cheap)

Most Krylon type products are for hobby usage not vehicle panel painting.

Thanks DR,

They do say its 95 percent prep and 5 percent painting!

Anyway, Color-rite seems to get good marks and would match the

BMW paint color, which I believe on the R1100R is Night Black 103.

Researching it all right now as will have the bike stripped down in January for a full service, brake fluid R&R and new clutch cable install. When it is down, I hope to install the new tank (moving all "guts" of the old tank into it) replacing all the hoses, fuel filter etc plus I need to repair the main wiring loom covering in a few places. Concurrently, I can get stuck in to painting the front fender and the two side finishing pieces.

Nice winter project :) !

Also you could go talk to your local bodyshops and ask how much it would cost to get them repainted... I got a metal tank and two side plastic panels repainted for 50 bucks. I brought them the parts and they did the prep and paint. They came up much better than anything I could have done. Two years later they still look gorgeous with a beautiful black gloss.

I think I got a great deal. To save money I had to wait for them to have another black vehicle to come in... As everyone knows, prep and cleaning tools takes time therefore cost money... But it was winter and in snow country it only took 2 weeks before an black SUV got dented. Otherwise it would have been $200...

Good luck.

That's an interesting idea for getting your bike repainted a different color. Watch the wrecks on the lot at your local body shop and when an a interesting color comes in, start negotiating!

Hi I put a 17" front wheel on my 88 concours and had to change the front fender. I used Krylon Fusion paint on it, and DR is right about the the UV protection.

Jack

Now THAT is a great idea :thumbsup:

I'll ask around and see what I come up with. I could still ride the bike until a black vehicle comes in, as it would only take me about an hour to remove all the bits and take them down to any of our local shops :) !

Mine was originally black and white. I removed the Tupperware and brought it to a body shop who painted it a medium gray shade commonly seen on Nissans. The paint is two stage, base coat clear coat. I did all the sanding and prep so the parts and labor was only in the spraying.

The work was done by a painter who used his employers equipment on the weekend when the shop was closed. I paid him $500 cash, under the table. Photo coming.

BMWnewpaint.jpg

I've painted a lot of things, using all sorts of equipment. Rattle can is NOT the way to go. Trying to do it yourself with proper spray equipment, without experience, is an exellent lesson in frustration and probable failure.

Take it to a body shop, preferably a custom or motorcycle-specific shop. They'll either match it themselves or you can specify Color-Rite.

You do NOT want to use the shop recommended by your nearest Austin BMW dealer. If you want a perfect match, and a perfect job, and can't find anyone in Kerrville, Bronson at Southern Metal Choppers in Austin has a guy who's a wizard at matching difficult colors, and is also a wizard at painting. I've been down this road.....

---Color-rite seems to get good marks and would match the

BMW paint color, which I believe on the R1100R is Night Black 103.

----

Morning Phil

You shouldn't have any trouble matching your black tank with about any other black. Basically black is (well) black so unless your new tank is faded, or some exotic mix, or metalflake it should match OK. Light color metalflake's are the tough ones to match up.

The difficult thing to match on black is not the color, it is texture & color depth & both of those are more technique & painter ability than product.

The good thing is there is enough separation & reflection change between the tank & other panels/fender that they should all look the same.

Phil,

When you are ready to do the full service on Leroy and if you want/need some help let me know. I'd be glad to ride up & give you a hand with things.

The Spiced Porter & Nut Brown Ale I've just bottled should be ready for "taste'n by then as well.

I'll have to confess to an ulterior motive as well. While doing the service on Leroy I was hoping you can tutor me on the finer points of proper throttle body adjustment....fast idle,cable adjustments etc.

They'd be more or less the same on my RT...correct?

Archived