IGNORED

BMW "Certoplast" wiring tape vs. ICE HOCKEY tape...

w2ge

I was looking at a roll of my son's HOCKEY tape (stuff that you get for a couple bucks a roll at any hockey rink, etc and in multiple colors if you want) and started thinking, "BOY, this sure looks like BMW loom wiring tape.."

Curiosity gets me, I google the specs on CERTOPLAST 514 (BMW spec tape) and it is:

"High quality polyester fabric tape with especially smooth polished surface, in combination with a strong, rubber-based adhesive."

pretty much exactly the same specs when I googled 3M hockey tape.

Not saying it is exactly the same, but....???

Evening Phil

A couple of things your need to verify.

The temperature flash point of the tape & the melting & flash point of the adhesive.

I have seen a few car fires caused from using improper loom tape that the adhesive melted at a fairly low temperature & dripped on a hot engine or exhaust part & caused the fire.

Certoplast 514 is made according to BMW spec GS95008-3 flame resistant standards which are a tad over most commercially available insulating tapes. To cut a long story short it has to resist 3000 hours at 125°C and be able to withstand a temperature of 150°C short term. Can hockey tape do the same?

A 25 meter roll of Certoplast tape can be had on eBay for about $12 plus shipping. Curiously enough the 514 seems to be quite rare but you can get the 523 (higher specs) quite easily.

D*mn... I think the wife is gonna be p*ssed when I stick the roll of tape in the oven for 3000! hours at 250 F. to test it! (well, it is ONLY 125 days...)

I'm thinking if your in a bind and NOT in a critical area (that is not in an "engine bay", not by a heat area...) it would work for you.

Archived