IGNORED

Comparison: Shad SH48 versus SH50 top case?

SWB

Anyone here have a review to contribute about the Shad SH48 top case, versus the SH50? How does the back-rest of the SH50 compare with the "double" backrest on the SH48, for passenger comfort? (I'm 6'2" and she's 5' tall; not sure where that backrest will hit her back, but the OEM top case seemed to work fine when she "test sat" on a bike at the dealer.)

Second, I heard reports that Shad's R1200RT mounting bracket enabled full OEM-style mounting on the luggage rack. However, I've also see reviews (and reviewed the actual mounting instructions) of that bracket, and it appears to be a "bolt on" application as well. Which leads to the question, why bother? Why spend the extra $$$ for the R1200RT specific bracket when the universal bracket comes free, and both are bolt-on applications?

Though my wife long ago swore off ever riding 2-up on my RT, she has made a friend who rides with her husband on his Golden Wing and now wants to try it. She may or may not end up riding 2-up, but it's all the justification I need to spend the money on the top case for benefit of the pillion back rest. :grin: I need to get this case bought and into the mail ASAP before she changes her mind! (Down side is, she was looking at a used K1200LT at the local dealer, which had all the "toys" and comfort-items for her. I'm not sure that I'm ready to trade in my "fleet" RT for the LT cruiseliner, yet.)

Thanks,

Scott

Wow. No one has any experience with the Shad top cases? This is my first post on this forum rated "zero", as in no replies. Kind of used to SOMEONE knowing something about just about any thing folks ask about, on bmwst.com. :D

Well, I'll post my review after I've made my decision. Leaning towards the SH48 for now.

To be honest with you, I've been motorcycling 30+ years, hang out on a few gear oriented forums, and read three or four motorcycle magazines a month, and I have honestly never heard of Shad before. A gap in my education...thanks for the tip. They sure look Givi-ish.

There is a youtube review of the SH50. I note that on the Shad web page, under "Why Shad?", "brake light" is subjected to a common internet misspelling.

Probably because you asked for a comparison between the SH48 and the SH50. Not too many would own both and be able to compare. I own a SH50 and love it. Great quality, a fair price, and in my opinion a nice look. Neither is going to be tremendously comfortable for a passenger in my opinion. But I don't think that there are any trunks for an RT that are.

Doug

Probably because you asked for a comparison between the SH48 and the SH50. Not too many would own both and be able to compare. I own a SH50 and love it. Great quality, a fair price, and in my opinion a nice look. Neither is going to be tremendously comfortable for a passenger in my opinion. But I don't think that there are any trunks for an RT that are.

Doug

+1 on the comparison. I have the SH50 and am very happy with it. It doesn't compare with bikes like the Goldwing or the K bikes that have built in backrests but my wife seems to be satisfied. Every time she sees the comfy looking Goldwing setup though she can't help but be envious. I often wonder if I went to something like that would she ride with me more often - I doubt it.

I did a review of the SH50 a while back that you can search for.

Well they also have a 49L if it matters.

:grin:

Hard to find but dif in price is one includes backrest.

So I tried to find backrests.

A bit of digging and it seems

D0RI4800-1.jpg

48L

D0RI70-1.jpg

perhaps a dif w/the design of backrest?

Probably not, seems like they all come with the upper pad and then $55 for the lower part.

I'd get as large as they offer, day trips w/SO can always fill available space.

:lurk:

I have a Shad 48 and I love it. Last month I traded in my beloved 2007 RT for a new 2012 and I let the stock 49L BMW go with the trade. I mounted my 48L Shad on the new RT and am very happy with it. I also have a 2011 Concours 14 for which I originally purchased the Shad. now I just switch the case to the bike I'm using that particular day.

Charlie

Thanks all for the follow-ups. The Shad 48 is newer, and looks a bit sleeker. Something about the way the reflector on the Shad50 is set up that it looks a bit "Givish", as one said. I guess the biggest issue is that funky looking double-backrest on the Shad 48. It's either a great idea, or maybe making up for a deficiency. If the pillion rider doesn't like it, in the end it's a ** FAIL **. I'm still on the fence, hoping that Santa drops one in my Christmas stocking soon.

I guess the biggest issue is that funky looking double-backrest on the Shad 48. It's either a great idea, or maybe making up for a deficiency.

I think the two parts of the backrest are separated to allow for the hinge - without some spacing you could not lift the lid.

I haven't heard of these top cases before, but I've had two Givi top cases on RTs. They look quite similar. I also have had two 1200RTs with the BMW 49 liter top cases. I liked the BMW case a lot more. Two things I didn't like about the Givi were the look of the mounting plate when the top case wasn't on the bike, and the fact that it took a different key.

Like others here, I hadn't heard of the Shad brand until considering a new 2013 FJR1300 recently (bought a primo R1150RT instead). As they note; "SHAD USA operates under a dealer direct business model while having developed strategic relations with Yamaha USA and KYMCO USA, who distribute SHAD products for their specific motorcycle and scooter applications." Examples of that collaboration are shown here.

Like others here, I hadn't heard of the Shad brand until considering a new 2013 FJR1300 recently (bought a primo R1150RT instead). As they note; "SHAD USA operates under a dealer direct business model while having developed strategic relations with Yamaha USA and KYMCO USA, who distribute SHAD products for their specific motorcycle and scooter applications." Examples of that collaboration are shown here.

Shad are a major manufacturer of motorcycle seats and also make the small expanding saddlebags that are shared by the F800 and K1200/K1300 range of machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have experience to share on mounting the SHAD SH48 on the RT??

I just bought a SH48 with the standard mounting plate, it came with minimal instructions.. and I am baffled on how to mount the flat standard SHAD mount plate on the curved BMW standard rack.

I am attempting to mount the SH48 on a 2007 K12GT which has the same BMW rear rack as the RT.

thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion Charlie. In my haste to please the pillion.. I did not purchase the Shad Topmaster adapter with the SH48 box and standard mount. My next move is to call SHAD to see if the RT adapter works on the 07 K12GT.

The odd thing is that the top cases are interchangeable between the 07 GT and the RT1200, but the Shad adapter listed for the RT is not listed as fitting the GT.

If the '07GT has the same rear rack as the RT, and I think it does, it will work. The adapter consists of four metal plates with threaded screw holes. The plates fit under your rack and the plastic plate that came with your topcase will be connected to the metal plates by the screws included in the kit. It sandwiches the BMW rack.

So far all I know is the top cases are interchangeable but the luggage racks on the GT and RT look slightly different - and are different according to the BMW parts fiche ... still trying to contact SHAD

Luv2lean,a few weeks ago I fitted a new Shad SH48 case on my 07 K1200GT using the mounting kit listed for the R1200RT and it fitted perfectly. The 4 metal plates that fit under the bike's luggage rack have 2 different bolt patterns that allows fitment for each bike model. You will be using 4 bolts and 4 bushings and if I remember well the longer bushings fit at the back. Start with one side first and screw in the bolts just enough to catch as you will need some play to screw in the bolts on the other side. At first you may feel that the mounting plate rocks from side to side since the bike's rack is not perfectly flat, but as you tighten the bolts the mounting plate levels off fine. I also ordered the 2-piece backrest and although I can't ride because it's winter here, my wife sat on the bike and found the position more confortable than the top case pad from our old R1100RT. Hope this helps...

I will post a photo as soon as I get it.Delivery from the dealer is questionable.Ordered the case and mount the 1st of Dec and at last call it should be here tomorrow....The makers seem to have their act together,but the dealer has it lost in the pipeline.As soom as I comes in and I get it mounted I am going to give it a road test to The Keys..

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the R12RT adapters from SHAD and used same to mount the SH48 on my 07 K12GT. The instructions provided with the adapters amounted to a sketch of three different mounting diagrams for three different mounting plates. After a lot of head scratching and experimenting I got the thing mounted but nothing like the diagram for the plate that came with the SH48. Could be due to slight difference in the bmw rack on the RT and the GT.

The only dilemma I had was whether on not to leave the stock plastic rack trim/cover on the bike sandwiched in between the shad plate and the metal bmw rack base. This is not addressed in the brief mounting instructions and appears to be left in place on the SHAD diagram, but I chose to remove the plastic cover thinking it would crack or break, and not provide a solid mount. The downside is a small area of the black bmw rack base is exposed between the seat and the shad mount plate, and not as pretty as the plastic bmw rack cover.

BTW - After speaking with the vendor about the delays in getting SHAD parts

I am convinced the delays are with the SHAD importer in Miami. It took me 2 weeks to get the adapters which were ordered on 1/1/13, in part due to the importers holiday schedule and trans US shipping. The vendor reports status communications with the importer has been difficult.

Archived