IGNORED

Is the BMW R1200RT Comfort Seat worth the cost...

Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel

... or would I be better off going with an aftermarket seat like a Kontour?

I have a RDL on my FJR and LOVE it, but with the added height I can't get out of the turbulance zone. I fear that a RDL would put me in the same situation on the RT so I am not going to chance it.

I have a RDL on my FJR and LOVE it, but with the added height I can't get out of the turbulance zone. I fear that a RDL would put me in the same situation on the RT so I am not going to chance it.

If I were you I'd get the RDL for the RT and consider changing the wind screen to one that suits your size/height better than the stock screen.

I personally found the 2002 so-called BMW Comfort Seat to be a bust. I wouldn't go that route unless you could test ride it. Maybe you could ask someone to loan you one for a day?

Blind Squirrel

If I were you I'd get the RDL for the RT and consider changing the wind screen to one that suits your size/height better than the stock screen.

I personally found the 2002 so-called BMW Comfort Seat to be a bust. I wouldn't go that route unless you could test ride it. Maybe you could ask someone to loan you one for a day?

Thanks. I chased the "nirvana" wind screen on the FJR after getting the RDL with no good results. Part of the reason I moved to the RT.

I had a Cee Bailey's, Rifle +3 (for my height), Cal Sci, modified the Rifle and added a Gold Wing vent to it to remove/reduce back pressure, and a MRA Vario. The Vario is the best of the bunch, but I had to use ear plugs because of the wind noise with all of the shields. I am going to add either a laminar lip or a MRA Vario lip to the stocker.

Kathy's got the right answer. Things like the Comfort Seat or the Kontour are a one-size-fits-al solution, which is to say no solution at all. Custom-made seats like the Russell Day Long are the answer. You already have proof of that. And if you're not too heavy, you can ask the Russell folks to keep a low height in consideration when making the seat (heavier riders need more foam, DAMHIK). Then resolve your turbulence issues with a better windshield. You'll be amazed what the right one from Cee Bailey or others will do.

One more thing. As a former FJR owner, you sit ON the FJR. Thus, a height increase is noticeable, not only because of the riding position, but because of the FJR's minimal stock windshield. Even an aftermarket shield for an FJR, while improving the situation, is pressed to actually "fix" the situation entirely. On the other hand, you sit IN an RT. A slight seat height increase does not poke you up and over the prevailing turbulence threshold, and if it does then only by a small mount, which a windshield can generally remedy.

I'm 6' and I've got a tall torso. So I understand the issue. But even with the RDL on my RT, a 2.5/2.5 Cee Bailey #2 Eurocut makes 800-mile days a regular thing when traveling. If you're taller than 6-2 or thereabouts and also have a tall torso, then a 4/2.5 Cee Bailey will do the trick. As for being down on your widshield experience with the FJR, that's an FJR issue, not a Cee Bailey, or V-Stream or Cal-Sci issue. Much the same with the Kaw C-14. Windshields help, but for many they can't "solve."

As for earplugs, you should be wearing them regardless, IMHO. The thrumming in your helmet, even on a bike with good aero's, is still damaging.

There was a discussion some time back in the RT forum at bmwlt.com regarding the comfort seat. I think it got favorable reviews.

Before going with a Bill Mayer seat for my RT, I traded a couple of emails with Russel and they informed me that a RDL for the RT would definitely be an inch or two higher. The RT seat is too short for them to provide a narrow area at the nose.

Besides Kontour, you might also check out custom seats from Bill Mayer and from Rick Mayer. Another possibility is a Sargent seat. Theirs is a one-size-fits-all seat but the have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Kathy's got the right answer. Things like the Comfort Seat or the Kontour are a one-size-fits-all solution, which is to say no solution at all.

Since Kontour requires weight and inseam when ordering, I would assume they are not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Blind Squirrel

Thanks for all the inputs. For $500+ that the Comfort Seat would run me, I think I will use the money on a custom seat like a Bill Mayer.

A late comer to this thread, but I considered the BMW seat 12 months ago.

One problem was not being able to try before I ordered, but luckily

my local dealer had a s/h bike they were getting ready to deliver, that had one fitted.

They let me try it, and immediately disliked it, without turning a wheel.

The fact that the seat height was so low, meant that my knees were

bent far more than was comfortable. There is no height adjustment

on the comfort seat, so for me it was a no go.

We eventually settled on a pair of Touratech Kahedos, and the difference is like night and day. (for us)

It may work for your body shape, but I'd suggest trying one if you possibly can before buying.

Blind Squirrel

my local dealer had a s/h bike they were getting ready to deliver, that had one fitted.

We eventually settled on a pair of Touratech Kahedos, and the difference is like night and day. (for us)

It may work for your body shape, but I'd suggest trying one if you possibly can before buying.

Not late by any means! I like the idea the the Touratech uses their own seat pan so I don't have to give up my OEM seat. They sure are proud of them though! Can you tell me how much distance you normally travel on a given riding day?

Not late by any means! I like the idea the the Touratech uses their own seat pan so I don't have to give up my OEM seat. They sure are proud of them though! Can you tell me how much distance you normally travel on a given riding day?

The Touratech (Kahedo) seat uses a BMW pan (or at least mine does) so it's a perfect fit.

As for mileages I have ridden over 8 hours a day and absolutely no problems to report. Best purchase together with Wilbers shocks by far. :thumbsup:

PS: don't know about the US but here Touratech is by far the cheapest "no trade in" option, being able to beat Sargent, Corbin, Wunderlich and Kontour by a fair margin.

The Touratech (Kahedo) seat uses a BMW pan (or at least mine does) so it's a perfect fit.

As for mileages I have ridden over 8 hours a day and absolutely no problems to report. Best purchase together with Wilbers shocks by far. :thumbsup:

PS: don't know about the US but here Touratech is by far the cheapest "no trade in" option, being able to beat Sargent, Corbin, Wunderlich and Kontour by a fair margin.

Last time I checked, the Touratech was a lot more expensive than Sargent in the U.S.

Can you tell me how much distance you normally travel on a given riding day?

Probably nowhere near the distances you guys seem to do, but then we're only a relatively small island :)

On the stock seat I was in discomfort after an hour and a half, airhawk extended that to about two and a half, but, since

getting the Touratechs, I've been comfy at over five or six hours.

Sorry to sound vague, but 800 miles is virtually end to end in Britain, and traffic (despite filtering) means a

200 or 300 mile day is a reasonable one, even with a lot of motorway / freeway involved.

Another thing in Touratech's favour was their 'try before you buy'. We turned up at their HQ on my RT, left the

stock seats with them, fitted a 'demo' pair of their seats and went for a spin. Felt the difference immediately,

especially as the trip there had been 200 miles or so (3 or 4 hours).

As other posters point out though, each of our butts is different and there's no 'one shape fits all'

Hmmmm, interesting. I have a deposit down on a nice 2011 RT that has this BMW low comfort seat. I haven't seen the bike yet as it is at a "sister dealers", but plan to check it out as soon as it gets to NH. I had an 1150RT and never really felt the seat was too high. The references above about the seat to footpeg distance being so small it cramps your knee bend has me concerned. Any knee bend less than 90 degrees is going to be uncomfortable for me due to my right artificial knee. Has anyone tried this BMW low comfort seat with footpeg lowers such as Suburban Machinery makes? I still have mine left over from the 1150RT. :S

Scott, I don't think there's a seat that will fit all riders and you don't say how tall you are, what your inseam is or how much you weigh. All must be considered in fitting a seat. That said, I believe a custom seat is ideal for me at 5'10", 29" inseam and 170 lbs. I tried a comfort seat at the dealership but decided to spend the money on a Bill Myers custom seat. Bought a low seat off eBay so that I could give him the stock seatpan. I liked the low seat enough that I delayed sending the seat to Bill Myer although I still believe that to be the ideal solution. Recently, I began carving on the stock seat and now have it where it is more comfortable than the low seat and just as low. I'll get it covered locally and perhaps quit reading all the seat threads on internet. To answer your question directly, no - I don't think the comfort seat is worth the cost unless it fits you perfectly. I didn't like the shape (comfort), heigth, or cost.

malcolmblalock

I had a BMW Comfort seat on my 09 RT. I'm 5'9" and 195 or so plus gear. The comfort seat helped me reach the ground, so I liked it for that reason. But if my ride was more than about 2 hours, it ate up my butt. I sold it and now use a Russell. I can ride virtually all day and not have any bottom problems.

YMMV

Archived