IGNORED

Battery tender plus?

rottyjohn

I was curious what the BMW experts opinion on using a battery tender plus on the AGM PC680 odessey battery installed on my 2006 1200rt?

Previous owner installed a pigtail directly to the battery that he used to charge it. I guess the last year he had bike didnt ride it much? I cant image that! the only thing that will stop me is ice on the roads. I have always put my bikes on a charger if they will be sitting 3 days or more. Which isnt that often only northeast winter days with freezing road conditions. It appears going to be a bit of that over next coming week or so?

I was suprised I couldnt find anything on this site? I did a bunch of google searches which found a lot of conflicting info? Many use it with no issues. Some say it doesnt have enough power output to do any good. Many saying its just another AGM battery Battery tender is fine. Other say you have to use odesseys charger or odessy approved charger which Battery tender is not?

I did put hook it up initally got the flashing green light then over night it then went solid green. It sure seems normal to me?

I really appreciate practical BMW owner experience over dealer/tech talk?

Thanks,

John

I was curious what the BMW experts opinion on using a battery tender plus on the AGM PC680 odessey battery installed on my 2006 1200rt?

Previous owner installed a pigtail directly to the battery that he used to charge it. I guess the last year he had bike didnt ride it much? I cant image that! the only thing that will stop me is ice on the roads. I have always put my bikes on a charger if they will be sitting 3 days or more. Which isnt that often only northeast winter days with freezing road conditions. It appears going to be a bit of that over next coming week or so?

I was suprised I couldnt find anything on this site? I did a bunch of google searches which found a lot of conflicting info? Many use it with no issues. Some say it doesnt have enough power output to do any good. Many saying its just another AGM battery Battery tender is fine. Other say you have to use odesseys charger or odessy approved charger which Battery tender is not?

I did put hook it up initally got the flashing green light then over night it then went solid green. It sure seems normal to me?

I really appreciate practical BMW owner experience over dealer/tech talk?

Thanks,

John

I have a Battery Tender Jr. It worked fine this year when I couldn't ride for 4 months because of surgery.

Have used a battery tender for years on my '06 R12RT (170K miles, so it doesn't sit much). Still using original battery, so it seems to like what it's getting. I don't leave it plugged in continuously, as it also services other batteries, but prefer to charge up overnight about every 2 weeks if not ridden.

Have noticed a small "green light voltage" difference among tenders, which I assume is "production variation". And, although I'm unaware of the details, I understand non-lead/acid batteries operate at a slightly higher voltage, which suggests they may not respond well to use of a battery tender.

Plug it in and don't give it a second thought. Yes, different battery technologies have their nuances but, ya gotta ask yourself, do you change your alternator when you change from an AGM to a SLAB to a Li-Ion, etc.

I've had no problem with the PC680 and BT. I don't use it a lot because AGM batteries don't discharge nearly as quickly as lead acid/gel batteries do when just sitting. I frequently left my old KLR for 6 to 8 moths without a BT hooked up and it would start right up. Big BMWs do use a "little" current when off (clock etc) but not much.

I left parking lights on overnight and drained my 680. Before spending money, my research revealed Odyssey's official word from their website and customer service phone # was that a battery tender doesn't put out enough juice to recharge a deeply discharged battery (although it will safely maintain one that starts out fully charged) On the other hand, Battery Tender's customer service swore to me that their charger WOULD work (albeit far more slowly than a higher amperage charger.)

I crossed my fingers and purchased a Battery Tender, hooked it up and after more than 24 hours, my battery was fully charged. That was several months ago with not a problem since. I don't keep the bike on the Tender (partially because I ride it often enough) but I do hook it up from time to time to keep the battery topped off and have had no issues with its use.

Your results parallel mine. When I hook up the Tender, it takes just a few seconds for the green light to start flashing (up to 30 seconds) and usually 5 to 6 hours for the green light to go solid.

You just don't need to charge these batteries all the time.

My bike is parked sometimes for weeks without being ridden.

Even the BMW Gelcell didn't have a problem with that.

By using these Tenders, you could be covering up potential problems that will then bite you in the a$$ when you are out touring.

Unless your weather condition is at the moment really cold (winter), at which state "every" battery type, no matter what type will loose current delivery capability (until the battery warms up due to usage), constant topping up can hide all sorts of problems that you won't be aware of.

Battery Tenders/Chargers should just be used if it's winter/ your battery is on it's way out and just to tie you over until you can get a new one.

You are chasing a problem with your charging system/parasitic drainage...

I use the battery tender full time on bike, boat, and airplane. I only disconnect them when vehicle is being used. No damage after many years of use. Personal belief is they elongate battery life not shorten it. Belief is based on battery life after tenders and battery life before tenders... YMMV

Same here as Skywagon. Been doing it for years with bikes, atv, boat, etc. - when it's parked, it's plugged in. PC680 and Tender Jr., no problem for me.

John

I have used both a BTjr and BT Plus on my '09 R1200RT without any issues. Read somewhere that the BT's will only charge the Odyssey to about 97%, but that doesn't seem to be something that causes problems. Normally my Triumph and BMW share a BTjr....on one, then switch to the other bike after 5-7 days or so. I usually go no longer than 2 weeks without riding one or the other, except when I'm down in FL for the spring/fall....usually the BMW is ledt behind on the BTjr for 2 months; no problems when I return and ride it.

You just don't need to charge these batteries all the time.

My bike is parked sometimes for weeks without being ridden.

Even the BMW Gelcell didn't have a problem with that.

By using these Tenders, you could be covering up potential problems that will then bite you in the a$$ when you are out touring.

Unless your weather condition is at the moment really cold (winter), at which state "every" battery type, no matter what type will loose current delivery capability (until the battery warms up due to usage), constant topping up can hide all sorts of problems that you won't be aware of.

Battery Tenders/Chargers should just be used if it's winter/ your battery is on it's way out and just to tie you over until you can get a new one.

You are chasing a problem with your charging system/parasitic drainage...

Exactly right. Every word. I really like this Alfred02 guy.

Well-meant suggestion instead of fussing with battery chargers and being just a consumer:

1. study electricity

2. buy test gear... get a second-hand oscilloscope

3. wire up a constant-current voltage-controlled power supply kit

4. ponder the BMW wiring picture for your model until there is no wire in the picture whose purpose you do not fully understand

If you do something dumb and need to pour juice into your battery, get a wall-transformer thingy from Harbor Freight for $7. That's all you'll ever need.

Ben

"4. ponder the BMW wiring picture for your model until there is no wire in the picture whose purpose you do not fully understand'

Congratulations if you accomplish that! :grin:

So far, I've only charged mine by riding it. Still on the OEM battery (4 years, 2 months as of now). Have contemplated a BT or Jr. for maintenance but rarely go more than a week without riding it somewhere (or nowhere).

Don't forget, heat kills batteries faster than cold.

Let's check-out the logic.

A. People who use expensive trick chargers and fuss a lot plugging and unplugging every time they ride the bike sometimes have batteries that seem to last a long time and no complaints.

B. People who use no charger or rarely, sometimes have batteries that seem to last a long time and no complaints (me included... 46 years with BMW boxers)

Ben

C. People who use a smart charger as designed rarely have batteries

go dead w/out warning.

D. People who don't use a charger have batteries go dead without

warning more often than those who don't.

This is based on selling hundreds of motorcycle batteries and asking

the consumer about riding habits and use of charger.

YMMV

A rider who rides frequently usually has good longevity from battery

unless it started out improperly charged.

Archived