IGNORED

tire marked DOT AT86 10 0808

randy

I have an Avon Storm ST, new tire in my basement. never been mounted always stored in dry conditioned basement. I am assuming the 0808 means the 8th week of 2008. not interested in mounting a 5 year old tire. but I am wondering if I am reading this correctly. A little research shows these were new to the market in 2009. Can anyone decifer what the correct manufacture date is.

yes I read that also. so tire was made 8th week of 2008. And yes it has been in my dry conditioned space basement. Now I am curios as to how I have not installed a rear tire in say at least 4 years. :-) Considering I have a R1100RT, R1200ST, FJR 1300A, Ducati 996 and Tuono factory, it would seem I could have used this tire once in the last 4 years :-)

Been riding 50+ years and I've used tires a LOT older than that with no problems.

Some people get overly anal about this. If it has no visible sign(s) of deterioration (cracks, dry rot, etc), you're good to go.

The tire looks new, rubber is pliable just like the recently purchased PR3 front I installed on the FJR. As far as I can tell there has been no deterioration. I am just trying to figure out how I went 4 years, with 6 different street bikes and never once installed this tire. luckily I do all my own tire changes. so will be intalling this rear on my tuono and if I do not like the ride no harm, just remove it and install the PR3 rear I got when I bought the PR3 set, because I needed the front PR3 for the FJR.

Archived