IGNORED

Headlight Mask - 3M Product?

KevinH

Aerostich sells sheets of flexible clear plastic sheeting to make your own. I used it on my old RT and it worked great.

LINK

For my GS, I bought a kit from XPEL. It fit perfect, and I consider it to be an excellent product if they happen to make them for your model of bike.

XPEL Link

The Aerostich stuff is great. I've been using it for more than 10 years; it never turns yellow, and it always removes without leaving any residue behind.

They used to sell a 60 mil version, but it didn't handle compound curves very well. The 14 mil film provides decent protection for the headlight lens; I also cut a piece to put on the plastic just in front of the seat to protect against scratching from belt buckles, jacket zippers, etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking for the type that is a peel and stick. Had no idea Aerostich was carrying it. The 14 mil should work fine. I'm want to install it on the fog lights for my CR-V. I keep catching stones or rock salt and cracking lenses. I've blown out 2 this winter. Thanks for the links too!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking for the type that is a peel and stick. Had no idea Aerostich was carrying it. The 14 mil should work fine. I'm want to install it on the fog lights for my CR-V. I keep catching stones or rock salt and cracking lenses. I've blown out 2 this winter. Thanks for the links too!

I have a Honda Fit, which also has a reputation for fragile fog light lenses. I put the 14 mil film on soon after purchase in 2009; that was 4 years and 60,000 miles ago — so far, so good. I just went out to the garage to check, and they have a few small blisters (apparently the fog lights get hotter than I realized), but other than that, they are in great shape.

Honda is usually ahead of the game. They could offer replacement Lens vs replacing the entire Light Assembly. I know they get hot - I've seen them smoking when wet. We looked at the Element in 07 but went for the CRV because we liked the new body style. Both are great vehicles. Coming up on 100K and no issues. I can't get use to the 15% oil changes. That's over 6K in mileage.

I've cracked a few dog light lens on cheaper Hellas when cold waterr hit hot glass. Perhaps the plastic film would hve stopped that despite possible bubbles??

I've cracked a few fog light lens on cheaper Hellas when cold waterr hit hot glass. Perhaps the plastic film would hve stopped that despite possible bubbles??

Jerry Johnston

A few years ago I bought 3 ft of 3m clear tape 8" wide and made my own. I use it on the headlights of both cars also.

Archived