IGNORED

Considering upgrading your horns?

Rocer

The OEM horns on my 2005 R1200RT are awesome. Not the crappy Roadrunner "Beep-Beep" garbage they started using on later years.

Mine sound more like a set of 60's Cadillac horns. Real attention getters.

The OEM horns on my 2005 R1200RT are awesome. Not the crappy Roadrunner "Beep-Beep" garbage they started using on later years.

Had the dealer cross-check the code when I ordered them: they are the same as on the old 5 series saloon. Very satisfied with the upgrade and, all things considered, the cheapest option.

Nothing beats TRUE air horns AKA Maserati horns (which I can verify). Best for loud but pleasant horn sound and for index-of-directionality, cheap at Harbor Freight... if you can find room for them.

Ben

Can't agree more. The RT I test rode was one of the earlier, twin horn ones. The one I bought (I found out later) had

the single beep beep fitted. I initially swapped it for a Stebel Magnum, then, a while later, after digging under the left

hand plastic, I uncovered the original wiring for the second horn, and connected my original one back to that.

Now it sounds more like it should do. And not had to add any relays to the wiring.

My two Stebels did a fine job too (not as loud as they advertise though) until they broke at less than a year in. The company does ZERO in the way of backing up their product. They don't even reply to a letter.

Guest Kakugo
My two Stebels did a fine job too (not as loud as they advertise though) until they broke at less than a year in. The company does ZERO in the way of backing up their product. They don't even reply to a letter.

Stebel has a ton of legal issues at the moment and shut down for months last year.

It all started when the Italian frontier police pulled over a lorry from Rumania bound for the Stebel factory, technically loaded with "electrical components" but practically loaded with crates of horns, already assembled, packaged and stamped "Made in Italy". The attorneys tasked with the investigation turned out that was only the tip of the iceberg.

The trial started last September and it's still ongoing. :P

Hmm, mine have been on for over two years and still going strong, had to beep a non-attentive driver this a.m..

One of the first mods I made to my 1999 RT was to add a Stebel Magnum; that was in February 2008. It was plug and play, and fit in the original location without any clearance issues, or need for a relay. Orientation may be important, as the "horn" part can fill with water.

I installed a Wolo "Bad Boy" on a Honda Fit in 2009, and it's also still going strong. A relay is essential.

Stebel has a ton of legal issues at the moment and shut down for months last year.

It all started when the Italian frontier police pulled over a lorry from Rumania bound for the Stebel factory, technically loaded with "electrical components" but practically loaded with crates of horns, already assembled, packaged and stamped "Made in Italy". The attorneys tasked with the investigation turned out that was only the tip of the iceberg.

The trial started last September and it's still ongoing. :P

It's a shame, because they did make great products. I've had a bunch of Nautilus horns over the years on my bikes - never an issue, no vibration or moisture failures. I still have 2 brand new ones in boxes, bought as spares some 5 years ago.

My guess is that they were fighting a losing battle against cheap Chinese knock-offs (Wolo, for example is externally identical, down to the mounting bosses) and were trying desperate measures with Romanian manufacture.

Currently, the company is 'Stebel S.r.l. in liquidazione' - no translation needed. However, they appear to be working on getting back: their web site announces new products for spring of 2013.

mappa.png

Archived