IGNORED

To Aerostitch or not to Aerostitch

Sonor

I have been thinking a great deal about getting a one piece suit. My three season stuff is getting old: velcro is wearing out, dirt that will not come out, snaps on their last snap - you get the picture. So out of all the suits, Aerostitch keeps coming up as the #1 choice. Would you agree or disagree?

Riding temps range from 25 to 98. Mostly commuting 85 miles a day on highways but some long trips per year as well. I try to average 10K miles a year but that gets seriously crimped if I do something stupid like last year breaking my wrist. :-)

So your thoughts about one piece and Aerostitch please ...

malcolmblalock

I have one, have had it since May, 2007. It is, by far, the one piece of riding gear that I use the most often,. Mine now has about 100,000 miles on it. It's yellow (or at least used to be yellow; now a very dingy yellow). And last year I had it refurbished some (new velcro, new long zipper, right leg zipper, and under arms zippers (the others were working just fine; just wanted to make it more waterproof with the newer zippers). Also had some seams where the stitching needed some repairs. Sounds like a lot, but most was because I wanted it different. And that's with almost 100K miles on it.

Very easy to put on and take off. Street clothes work very well under it. Good armour pads. Waterproof (except for zippers, and new ones work better than old ones).

I live near you, so we have the same weather conditions. It works well with just street clothes down to about 53 degrees. Below that, I need a sweatshirt or something to give a little cushion between the cold and the skin. Have worn it below freezing with heated gear. At temps above about 85, it gets pretty hot. I've worn it in temps over 100, but have to admit it was not comfortable. I find that wearing long sleeves, but thin and wicking works best so sweat doesn't cause lining to stick to skin. Ventilation is pretty good with sleeves open at wrists, underarm zippers open, and under-pocket zippers open at hips.

IMO, although expensive to purchase, it's what I prefer to wear almost all the time. If really hot, I wear mesh gear.

I'm on number 2. Only because number 1 did not expand as much as I did over the decades... It had developed a lovely patina and was still sound with a couple hundred thousand miles and a couple minor "touch ups". For me, it is a no brainer.

1) I am apparently excessively lanky. Nothing off the shelf fits right. RW will custom size it to exactly what you need. I had them ship me a Tall suit in the approximate size I needed, and then sent it back with instructions to lengthen the arms a specific amount above the elbow, and the pants below the knee. They used those dimensions to make a PERFECT suit!

2) RW cares. And they stand behind their products. For life.

3) Still American made.

4) Top shelf quality. The design is a bit dated, but it works extremely well.

The combination of those makes it a winner for me. If those do not matter to you, there are MUCH cheaper options. And lots of them.

Now if only they would make a mesh version for those of us that have to ride on 100+ days!

I chose 2 piece because I will go without the pants on really hot (100+) days.

Transit isn't made here either. Vietnam.

A truly uneducated thought from someone who doesn't own, and has never ridden in, one (Me). From the research I've done the one complaint that kept coming up is how hot the suit can get above 75 degrees. I also came across several comments from owners of water leaking in through the crotch in heavy rain. not sure if those issues matter to you, but, that's what I recall hearing when I was researching them.

Hi. I use a 2-piece Roadcrafter. I like the convenience of a 2-piece. I ride to work mostly, and most of the year, in the California Central Valley. That means rain and cold (< 40F) in the winter and heat (> 100F) in the summer. So far no leaks, and it's ok in the heat if I'm not stuck in traffic or at a stop. I've been through Death Valley in August in a 'stich. I'm on my second 'stich that I bought last year (the first lasted a dozen years), and my only "complaint" is the collar. Next time I will ask them to alter the collar to be only half its regular height, so that it doesn't bump against my helmet when I try to snug up (which can make it uncomfortable for me to turn my head). I would not hesitate to get another 'stich when this one wears out. YMMV.

---John.

Those of you who live in humid climates might find the suit getting warm at higher temps, but when I was in CA, I could ride at 100 degrees, with the vents open, and be reasonably comfortable. Lower humidity does wonders.

Still, I have BMW gear and Olympia gear, both of which do get used. But the Roadcrafter gets used the most, by far.

A truly uneducated thought from someone who doesn't own, and has never ridden in, one (Me). From the research I've done the one complaint that kept coming up is how hot the suit can get above 75 degrees. I also came across several comments from owners of water leaking in through the crotch in heavy rain. not sure if those issues matter to you, but, that's what I recall hearing when I was researching them.
Never had a leaking crotch on mine. The RT is pretty good in terms of keeping water from hitting you usually. Pooling in the crotch may be bike or person specific (e.g. are they constructed in such a way that the fabric creates a hollow?). To be really useful, opinions should come with bike used, body type (I'm a standard 5'9, 180lb guy with 31" inseam) and weather ridden in (I'm a year-rounder in New England and don't have any qualms about riding in the rain).

I also have an Olympia Phantom one-piece that is supposed to be cooler in hot weather but doesn't seem to be vs. the 'stich. When it's 95, it's simply hot no matter what you wear - especially on an RT where the shield keeps a bunch of the wind from hitting the rider. I have a Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket & Olympia overpants for those really hot days.

I have one sitting in an upstairs closet that's worn out, that I haven't bothered to get refurbished. The upshot for me is that if you're 'hot blooded' you'll find the one-piece very warm above 75 F, and a pain to deal with if you are running errands. It's very warm to wear just walking around, and very hard to pack down into a when you don't want to wear it (like while shopping). Currently, I own a Motorport Canyon II jacket that's really on it's last legs, and a variety of different weight pants that I switch off during the different seasons.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get a two-piece so I could ditch the pants while I was off the bike. Mine started to leak at the crotch after about 6 years of use, and I was able fix it with the tune-up kit that was available from Aerostich at the time.

FWIW, I ride to work almost every day from April through November, so my gear gets a workout.

I bought a Darien jacket and pants in 2002. It hangs next to the BMW Airflow III jacket and pants and a BMW Airshell jacket.

If I'm going out for a few hours and the temps are nice the BMW gear gets used.

For overnight excursions, long trips, cold, wet or anytime the weather is in question the Darien is the choice, period!

:thumbsup:

I have a 2 piece Motoport Mesh outfit that I wear exclusively. I have worn it down in the 30's to over 100. I also wear LD underwear. This combination works well for me.

I have a Roadcrafter 2-piece suit, have had it for 10+ years and 100000 miles in all sorts of conditions. Sitting still in traffic on a warm day is tough, but when moving with all the vents open I feel reasonably comfortable as the sweat dries up. I like the 2-piece for the same reasons others have expressed-you can leave the pants at home or tied to the back of the bike on a hot day. Make sure when you order you get them large enough to pull over several layers of clothing and an electric vest if you ride in cold temperatures. I hate the feeling of being stuffed into the suit. In the coldest days I will wear some kind of long underwear, a cotton long sleeve teeshirt and an electric vest. If you get a 2-piece, I recommend the suspenders for the pants. My pants fall off if they are not held up by suspenders or zipped to the jacket. When zipped to the jacket it is hard to get the electric vest on.

As for waterproofness. When it was new it was quite good; I find the various treatments improve the water proofing, but riding in a day-long heavy rain water gets through in the crotch and elsewhere. Running in and out of showers it works just fine.

Larry

I bought a used Roadcrafter one piece for SoCal commuting a few months ago, and it gets by far the most use of any of my gear. The thing that I was struck by, and that few mention is the task specific tailoring. The suit feels awkward and ill fitting until you sit on a bike, then it seems to disappear. I'm in or out of the suit in 20 seconds, and it zips over my tuxedo or swimsuit, depending on where the ride takes me. It also easily fits in a RT topcase.

Like!

Dave

One thing I've figured out, on the ventilation front: It seems to me that closing up the armpit vents 1/2 way actually improves the way air goes up the sleeves, and around the torso. Try it sometime. (I have a 2 pc.)

At my age a leaking crotch is a feature, not a bug.

I guess you could say, it "Depends." :rofl:

Thanks everyone for your comments, especially the which are American made - that does make a difference to me.

After hours and hours of debate I settled on the Olympia AirGlide 4 two piece suit for my wife and I. Buying two suits and new helmets at one shot is a financial venture everyone should experience at least once in their lives! I looked at everything from 'stitch' to Klim. In the end, my wallet helped me make the decision. So far, I'm really impressed with the AirGlide 4 and I think it will be fantastic this summer!!

Aerostich used to suggest packing your Roadcrafter's pockets with ice when things get too hot. The pockets don't leak to the inside of the jacket and the cooling effect is significant. (Empty your pockets first!) I've done it a couple of times. If you are riding alone you'll have a lot of left-over ice after you buy one of those big bags at the convenience store. It's not cheap but when things get too hot to ride safely, keep your ATGATT and ice-up!

pete

I was thinking ice, Hendrick's gin, and just a splash of vermouth. When I arrive at my destination it would be shaken, not stirred.

Everybody's heat tolerance is different. I am fine manipulating vents up to mid 90's. Want just enough air to evaporate sweat, but not so much the skin gets fully dry.

The ice in the pockets works VERY well. And I use it regularly. At 110+, it gets a little messy.... the ice melts pretty fast at those temps and it kinda turns into a mini-rainstorm in the cockpit. Refreshing, but messy.

I now wear one of the gel filled vests. And when over 100, stop regularly to re-soak the pants, t-shirt, and bandana.

itspossible

I bought a used 2 piece Roadcrafter to take the sting out of the price. It was clean and fit well, made in 1991. I just retired the top last year but the pants still get spring and fall use. I treat it with ScotchGuard every year to keep it waterproof however if it rains hard for 8 hours on the road I do get wet patches.

Check BMW websites and Ebay for used outfits that are in good shape. If they need altering its about $100.

I have a lot of experience with Stichs, and will continue to use them. The company is great and the product never fails to impress. The one piece will leak at the crotch, where it pockets in the fold at the waist, in heavy rain of lasting duration. The two piece does not. I now only use the one piece for track days and Winter riding. While they do get hot in traffic, I'd rather sweat than bleed. I hit a deer wearing a Stich, and only had some black and blues, no road rash at all, and I slid down the road about 75 feet.

I use a two piece MotoPort outfit (3/4 jacket) with rain liners. I have both the mesh and their stretch fabric pieces. Riding temps here go from freezing to over 100 degrees and I switch outfits accordingly. I am not an off-the-shelf size so they tailored the items to fit my needs. I am totally sold on their abrasion resistenc fabrics and their customer assistance for fit and satisfaction.

Andy could have made it cheaper but only by cutting corners. The suit is comfortable, amazingly tough and, once broken in, very comfortable. It can be custom tailored by Aerostich for very little extra cost. And, at night it's reflected light alerts traffic to the rear. If damaged, they will repair it. I'm on my second one with over 600,000 miles between the two. On some endurance runs, it has doubled as a sleep bag. Seal the seams and stay dry, open the vents and it is reasonably well vented. No need, IMO, for any upgrades or "new" model.

I had 2 Darien suits, one I basically wore out. The other got too big (an uncommon "problem"). I rode with a friends 1-piece roadcrafter a bit and now have one on order. I like the fitted fit of the roadcrafter and was shocked how much cooler it feels than it looks.

There have been improvements to the design over the years comparing his '07 suit to the new '13s. For example better zippers and the collar is improved.

Doug_Baliko

I like Aerostich stuff. I use their AD-1 pants and just ordered a Dariel light jacket. 6-8 weeks build time on the jacket. Ouch. But that should tell you how popular their stuff is. I have never had a leak in the AD-1's. They are little warm in the summer, but bulletproof quality.

Doug

Archived