IGNORED

Looking for pants similar to BMW AirFlow

eddd

I've had a pair of BMW AirFlow pants for about 10 years. They continue to be the best pair I've come across for touring and everyday riding. This model was discontinued long ago so I'm looking for something similar. It does not need to be BMW brand.

I want a basic textile pants that provides a reasonable level of protection with the look of regular pants as opposed to the adventure rider style.

Suggestions?

Guest Kakugo

Spidi: NL5 if you need mesh, Six Days or Hi-Fit if you need an ordinary trouser.

I have the NL5 for hot weather and cannot praise them highly enough: they also come with a handy removable lining for those cold mornings and late evening showers.

The Hi-Fit is probably the best solution for all-around work as they are made with a cotton-based fabric and are waterproof (to a degree).

John Bentall
I've had a pair of BMW AirFlow pants for about 10 years. They continue to be the best pair I've come across for touring and everyday riding. This model was discontinued long ago so I'm looking for something similar. It does not need to be BMW brand.

I want a basic textile pants that provides a reasonable level of protection with the look of regular pants as opposed to the adventure rider style.

Suggestions?

How about the BMW Airflow?

Go here http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html then choose Gear & Parts then Rider Catalog. The Airflow appears on pages 20/21.

Hope this helps. Your dealer should be able to order it.

Suggestions?

How about the BMW Airflow?

Go here http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html then choose Gear & Parts then Rider Catalog. The Airflow appears on pages 20/21.

Hope this helps. Your dealer should be able to order it.

Thanks for the link, but the model I have is not the same as the latest ones. They still use the AirFlow name, but the pants are very different than those made years ago.

Eddd I ride with the BMW motorrad Summer 2 pants. I really like them a lot.

Maybe they evolved from the ones you are looking for.

Eddd I ride with the BMW motorrad Summer 2 pants. I really like them a lot.

Maybe they evolved from the ones you are looking for.

Thanks.

I have a pair of those too. They are nice, but just a bit thin. They just don't seem like they'd offer much protection, and by the time the temperature gets warm enough for those I'm usually going with my mesh.

They do make a spiffy pair of shorts when you remove the lower leg part.

The current generation Airflow pants aren't much different than the previous two generation versions I've had. If anything, they're better ... as would be expected.

The most noticeable difference is that the Airflow 4s have two zippers to connect jacket to pants, one all the way round and the other the usual short one.

The current generation Airflow pants aren't much different than the previous two generation versions I've had. If anything, they're better ... as would be expected.

The most noticeable difference is that the Airflow 4s have two zippers to connect jacket to pants, one all the way round and the other the usual short one.

Thanks. I think mine go back even further. They might have been the first version. I bought my pair from someone who had outgrown them so I'm not sure when these were made, but it was quite a few years ago.

I've decided to try a pair of Olympia Ranger 2 pants. I found a new pair in my size on closeout. I have a pair of Olympia mesh pants that are a good quality so I'll give the non-mesh a try.

The Sidi pants look interesting but I couldn't find anyone within riding distance who carry them.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My Olympia AST jacket has been good even when it is wet. 220 miles in rain last weekend with another 10 in hail and I was nice and dry. Good thing to since the temp got as low as 39F. I figure the pants should be a good match and eliminate the need to carry rain pants.

I just wish the learning curve on gear wasn't so expensive. The worst thing is once you find some thing you like chances are it will no longer be available when you are ready to replace them.

markgoodrich

Ed, are you going to wear that combination as summer gear? I'm a little confused; you started out looking for Airflow, which to my mind is summer stuff, and ended up with the Olympias. I'm not particularly familiar with Olympia, if the combo would work for summer wear (here in Texas) as well as for forays to your area and beyond, I want to take a look. One thing I don't like, reading about the Olympia pants, is no hip protection.

I'm looking for a single suit to wear four seasons; my Rukka is pretty long in the tooth and the armor is going to need replacing fairly soon. I'd love to find something that is waterproof, so I don't have to stop and put the inner liners in. JohnLT swears by his KLIM suit, but I can't see the stuff unless I drive to Dallas.... I'd buy another Rukka, but the inner liner deal is a slight hassle, and worse, when in a frog strangler the outer suit gets soaked, I stay dry, but get chilled to the point of danger.

Why a single suit for four seasons? Leave Austin in August, ride to Portland. Four seasons.

Ed, are you going to wear that combination as summer gear? I'm a little confused; you started out looking for Airflow, which to my mind is summer stuff, and ended up with the Olympias. I'm not particularly familiar with Olympia, if the combo would work for summer wear (here in Texas) as well as for forays to your area and beyond, I want to take a look. One thing I don't like, reading about the Olympia pants, is no hip protection.

I'm looking for a single suit to wear four seasons; my Rukka is pretty long in the tooth and the armor is going to need replacing fairly soon. I'd love to find something that is waterproof, so I don't have to stop and put the inner liners in. JohnLT swears by his KLIM suit, but I can't see the stuff unless I drive to Dallas.... I'd buy another Rukka, but the inner liner deal is a slight hassle, and worse, when in a frog strangler the outer suit gets soaked, I stay dry, but get chilled to the point of danger.

Why a single suit for four seasons? Leave Austin in August, ride to Portland. Four seasons.

The AirFlow pants I have are definately not what anyone would consider summer pants. The only air they flow is through a couple of small zippered vents on the thigh area. They have been my primary fall, winter, and spring pants. Like I've mentioned, these are evidently a very early version of the Airflow line.

I went with the Olympia AST jacket trying to get as close to all season as possible. The jacket itself is waterproof, not just the liner, and it has a number of vents that do a good job until it starts to get up toward 80. For colder weather it comes with a liner, but I generally travel with the Gerbing liner instead to give a wider range of temperatures. This combination has worked well, especially since I no longer live in hot and humid south Texas.

Since I was wearing the AirFlow pants I carried a pair of FirstGear rain pants, but with the new Olympia pants I should be able to eliminate the need to carry the rain pants. I still see this setup reaching its limit at about 80F. I don't see how any system can really be all season without being mesh and having liners. To me having a soaking wet jacket and/or pants and relying on liners just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable or practical. Besides, if you are going to carry extra pieces in liners, I prefer to just carry water proof overpants and overjacket.

I'm 100% with you on inner liners being a deal breaker...definate too much of a hassle.

Archived