IGNORED

Clearwater Voltage Sentry

Beemah

Susan has one on her F650GS (twin). Had it installed at the same time we had her Clearwater lights mounted. It is pretty accurate and lets her know that she is working that poor alternator too hard. Gives her the option of turning something off when it changes colors. Expensive, but elegant.

The 650 has a lot less amp generating capacity than your RT and worrying about whether ones heated gear, etc is asking too much from its systems is reasonable.

Not so for your RT where you've got more amp-generating capacity than some cars I've owned and more than enough to run anything you can put on the bike, unless you decide you must must have a refrigeration unit in your topcase for those liquid refreshments....

There, the major issue is whether your battery will have enough punch to start your bike in cold weather, if you've still got an oem type especially. (They're marginal at best in truly cold weather).

If you want a motorcycle specialty device to monitor your battery and electrical state, the Battery Bug is more closely aligned to issues you might find on an RT. Of course, you could also do a simple generic Datel voltmeter as done by quite a few but that requires that you know what voltages matter in various situations...

Afternoon scout6

That F650GS has a basic 3 phase non regulated output alternator so about anything you do won't tax it past it's capacity.

The regulation is controlled by dumping excess alternator output into heat in the regulator. So the more you use in a heated garment the less the regulator has to turn into heat. (that is unless you use more power than the alternator can produce, then the battery goes dead)

The down side of this system is if you use more power than the alternator can output the battery gets depleted.

The other downside is IF the wiring in the stator or between the alternator & regulator is not sized correctly then the wiring (or connector terminals) can overheat as the voltage drops & the amps that each leg has to handle goes up.

Your 650GS would be a good motorcycle to install a Voltage Sentry type device on. I have a similar (homemade) multi-colored LED set up on my Ducati.

Works great at night but I had to build a hood to go over the top of the LED as it couldn't be seen easily in direct sun light.

That Voltage Sentry looks to address a couple of issues that occur on similar units. To get a good TRUE reading the monitor really should be directly connected to the battery. If just powered from an ignition switched circuit that would give you system voltage & not true battery voltage. Problem with this is the unit then stays on even with the key off. On my homemade unit I needed to add a micro power relay to use direct battery voltage.

The Voltage Sentry claims to have an internal voltage monitoring system to shut it down after a given time at low stable (engine off) voltage. (if it works as advertised that is good well thought out system)

My guess is that it will still come on & stay on anytime a battery tender is hooked to your battery though. (no big deal as those type monitor systems with an LED draw very little power even when illuminated.

Evening Beemah

Your 1200RT has a different type of alternator than Scout6 F650 does so the alternator info posted does not pertain to your bike.

The parts in my post to Scout6 highlighted in red also covers your bike.

As posted above that Voltage Sentry does seem to have a good point in that it can be a battery direct hookup (that is desired) but still shut down on it's own after engine shutdown.

Also, as mentioned above it will probably come back on with a battery tender hooked to the bike (that is no big deal though).

My first choice was the Argus Battery Bug, unfortunately the company that makes them went bankrupt last fall and they are no longer in business and the units are not available. I learned this when I tried to order one. My primary reason for adding this to my RT is so that I remove the mystery of when the battery is beginning to die. I'm still using the original battery and this is the beginning of year 4, I've taken really good care of it, but I'm thinking I'm all ready on borrowed time and would prefer not to get stuck somewhere far, far from home because I didn't see it coming. I did order the Clearwater unit, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Morning Beemah

Your really don't need additional flashing lights to tell you that your BMW OEM battery is beginning to fail. At 4 years old it has started to fail.

With a 4 year old OEM BMW gel motorcycle battery it is just a matter of when not if it is going to fail. (probably suddenly)

If you don't want a sudden no-crank battery failure then just replace the OEM battery now with something that isn't known for instant death. (like the Odyssey).

With that Battery Sentry you are going to have a flashing red light (below 11.5v) at about every cold start in cold overnight ambient temps. Even brand new the OEM gel battery is marginal on low ambient cold start.

If they haven't sent yours (sentry) yet see if they will custom set the low (red flash) voltage to something like 10v or 9.5v as your OEM battery will probably go there on a 20°f cold start.

The down side of this system is if you use more power than the alternator can output the battery gets depleted.

Which is exactly why we have it. Want to keep the battery from going dead on a long trip. I do not have one on my RT.

Archived