IGNORED

Aftermarket Seat ???

texasaggie97

texasaggie97

I just purchased a 2013 R1200RT and the seat is killing me. I had a Sergent before and it was a good seat but i wanted to get this groups feed back and see if you had any experiences with different seats and would recommend one to me. I like to ride long distances and want a seat that is going to be comfortable for the long haul and for the two up as well. Please any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Todd

Had a stock seat w/Alaska Butt Pad originally on my 2006 RT and swapped to a Sargent. Was like night and day. I really like the Sargent. I am sure other may work just as well and honestly have not tried a RDL but compared to the stocker it is great.

I had a Sargent on my old RT. I thought it was fine when I bought the bike. Then I started getting pain from it at anything over 300 miles. After a 600 mile day I would be sore for days. My Wife could ride on the back all day with no issues at all. I swapped it out for a Corbin. It was a bit low for my inseam, but the seat fit my rear end perfect. I could ride 600-800 mile days, wake up the next morning, and not even know I rode the day before. The problem was that it put my Wife in terrible pain after just an hour or two.

My GS came with a stock GSA seat.......holy crap, what a POS seat. 30 min into the first ride my backside was on fire, and it never let up. Same goes for my Wife on the rear seat. I have since swapped the front seat out for a Rich Maund saddle. I'm back to 800+ mile days in pure comfort.

I have never paid retail for any of my aftermarket seats. I always buy them used for a fraction of what they were new. There is obviously a little trial and error, but you can usually resell a used seat for the same price you paid. If I was going to bite the bullet and spent the money for a new one, I would go with a RDL.

It isn't the seat, it is the a!! in the seat.

Since those are individualized, what works for Mo doesn't work for Curly.

Beth and I have done 700 mile days (got home) on a stock GT seat using sheepskip and an AirHawk.

Mixed reviews if you search on AirHawk.

Same with most aftermarket saddles.

Many pro, some con, for ALL of them.

Mixed reviews on build dates/delivery time.

Try to find other rider w/seats to sample butt, ;) even that won't provide a true test.

Your build/weight and riding style will matter more than

any one else's experience.

Good luck.

No one can say exactly which seat will work best for you. More Iron Butt Rally competitors use Russell Day-Long Saddles than any other brand. I have used them for years and I've loved them all. But they're not without issues.

If you ride in one position, they're great. Slab or twisties, they have a beautiful "pocket" in which the support is even and you don't even feel your own butt. However, if you're the "hang off the side of the bike in the corners" kind of rider, the "wings" on the RDL have to get adjusted to. Also, those wings prevent you from just dropping your legs at a stop. You must slide forward a couple of inches. It took be a day to get used to that. Don't even know I'm doing it.

The truth is that unless you've got a butt no wider than an Olympic swimmer's (which the Germans consider to be the "average" male), the stock BMW seats are dismal. Anything will be an improvement. If you're looking for someone to give you the magic answer, there is none.

My suggestion is to buy used. Not sure how far back the 2013 seat interchanges with previous RT's, but we get several used seats for sale almost monthly. Buy a used one and try it. If it doesn't work out, sell it for what you paid and try another. In the meantime, get yourself on the RDL waiting list, so that if you decide that's what you want, but want it made custom for your behind, you don't have to wait 5 months just to get a build date.

I currently have a 2011 RT and previously had a 2007 RT. I first tried an Airhawk and it was a major improvement over sitting directly on the stock seat. From a cost/benefit standpoint, it probably was the best buy I made. I later went to a Sargent. Overall, it was only slightly more comfortable than the Airhawk. I finally went to a Bill Mayer seat made to my height, weight, and inseam. I've had it now for over a 100k miles combined on my 07 and 11. The Sargent works for many people and they have a 30 or 60 satisfaction guarantee so it may be both a try. My biggest problem with Sargent is that their seat is flat rather than dished and they only have one foam density regardless of the rider's weight.

I was considering a RDL but after contacting Russell, they informed me that an RDL would raise me up an inch or two and there wasn't enough room on the RT to slide forward to get of the wings. Being short, that wasn't acceptable to me.

IMO, generally, you'll have better luck with a seat made for your dimensions. Besides Russell, that includes Rich's, Rick Mayer, and Bill (Rocky) Mayer.

The advantage in buying a Sargent or Corbin, as opposed to one of the custom-built seats like the Mayers or Russell, is you don't have to send your current seat in to be re-done. Even in the best circumstances you'll be waiting a few weeks without a seat for a custom-made item. Sargent, in my experience, has a seat ready to ship on a new seat pan so you'll have it quickly and can keep riding on your existing seat in the meantime.

I replaced the original seat on an FJR and the original on my 2011 R-RT, both with Sargents and am very happy. Even got the heated seat version for the RT.

pete

The advantage in buying a Sargent or Corbin, as opposed to one of the custom-built seats like the Mayers or Russell, is you don't have to send your current seat in to be re-done. Even in the best circumstances you'll be waiting a few weeks without a seat for a custom-made item. Sargent, in my experience, has a seat ready to ship on a new seat pan so you'll have it quickly and can keep riding on your existing seat in the meantime.

I replaced the original seat on an FJR and the original on my 2011 R-RT, both with Sargents and am very happy. Even got the heated seat version for the RT.

pete

It was less than ten days from the time I shipped my seat to Mayer until I received it back.

With Corbin, you're out of luck if you want to return the seat but at least Sargent has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee if it doesn't work out.

texasaggie97

Thank you all for the great advice. I am a data collector before I buy something and I know the people on this site do their homework as well. I am going to look at the Russel and see if I can find a used one for my RT. Thank you all for the .02.

It seems quite expensive for a used seat so you may be able to get him down in price.
Well, a heated dual seat in leather would be 1,035 and it appears to be almost unused. It's 30% off and you don't have to wait for a build date weeks from now or give up your seat pans....Might not get much better.

Im s RDL users too. I really like it but it does behave exactly like effbee said in prior post. Two other things about the RDL. It will add about an inch or more to seat height and they come in two weight classes. I don't remember the exact number, but I think at 220lbs or more they put springs in as well. If you buy used be sure you buy within your weight class. Springs on a 150lb frame will be too stiff, no springs on a 300lb person won't last long either...

Doug_Baliko
It seems quite expensive for a used seat so you may be able to get him down in price.
Well, a heated dual seat in leather would be 1,035 and it appears to be almost unused. It's 30% off and you don't have to wait for a build date weeks from now or give up your seat pans....Might not get much better.

I didn't see anything in the ad stating that it was leather. Certainly a much better deal if it is. Mine is vinyl and looks exactly the same.

Doug

I don't remember the exact number, but I think at 220lbs or more they put springs in as well. If you buy used be sure you buy within your weight class. Springs on a 150lb frame will be too stiff, no springs on a 300lb person won't last long either...
Actually both versions have springs. That's Bill Mayer's patent - it's something like a torsion bar effect if I understand it correctly. The heavy duty suspension is for 230lbs+ and I believe adds traditional springs in the wings as well. They don't recommend the heavy duty if you don't weigh 230 though as it will be too stiff. (Or 150lbs for the passenger seat.)

The other saddle makers are using foam without the spring system. That results in a thinner, sleeker seat but foam doesn't offer the support of the sprung RDL system. I have both an RDL and a Bill (Rocky) Mayer seat. The BM is just the rider seat & the RDL is both rider & passenger. The BM is good for a day or two but the RDL is more comfortable. I'm about 190 & 5'9" with 31" inseam. I can flat foot (in my boots) on the BM seat but touch down with just one foot on the RDL. I also run the RDL on the upper seat position of my R1200RT to help keep my butt back in the pocket - on the low position I tend to slide forward while riding. With the BM seat I keep it in the low position and don't have an issue with the seat slope.

I too have a new '13 R1200RT and find the stock seat to be good for no more than an hour, then the burning sets in. It is literally the worst stock seat I've ever had, go figure. I bought a BMW Comfort Seat and sat on it in the garage only for a solid hour... different, and good looking on the bike, but not enough better to justify the $700 so I returned it. I've owned Sargent seats before and they've always worked well so I now have a Sargent on order. I'll try to report back after trying it.

RDL on a 06 R1200RT My wife and I love it.... No more pain! 100-130 miles before was max. We have not found max yet and the pain is now gone.

Call Russell seats you wont regret it...

I have my 3rd RDL on my '11 RT. I am cursed with very little flesh on my arse, and had always suffered butt pain riding even short distances with stock saddles. The RDL's changed all that. I have ridden several 1K days without discomfort in my arse. I don't mean there is no discomfort! just not in my posterior. I have never had any aftermarket seat, except the RDL-wait a minute I had a Corbin on my R1100S; it was Okay, better than stock, but not much better. It looked great, though.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Rick Mayer (I believe it's Bill Mayer's son) seat. I was sold on him after a phone call discussing my issues after just a short time in the saddle of my '04 RT. In the low position I slide toward the tank, but in the medium position my feet barely touch by the toes (I'm 5'8" , 170, with about a 31" inseam). Rick has had multiple RTs and is very familiar with all the nuances. His shop is just a few hours from me so after the Sierrras warm up, I'll be heading over there for the personal touch. I've tried the RDL, but they spread my legs too far to be comfortable on the ground.

A while back, I posted a survey asking, "What are the three (3) Best Farkels you've added to your bike?" I got 117 responses. This forum does have opinions!

The top three in order were: Seat (15%), GPS (14%), and protective clothing (11%). I know, clothing is not technically "on" a bike...but that was the response.

Of the custom seats:

RDL was mentioned the most times (2 times more than Corbin)

Corbin was 2nd (2 times more than Sargent)

Sargent was third

There were also several responses that just said, "Custom Seat."

I agree with Tallman...to paraphrase, it's many times a personal preference.

I'm on my 2nd RDL and love it. Not as pretty as a Corbin but I don't see the seat when I'm on it ;)

Has anyone seen what the "spring" is in a RDL saddle? Several years ago a friend of mine tore apart the RDL on his 82 R100RT and found a piece of kitchen paneling inside the foam. It still had the wall paper pattern on it.

Perhaps they now use metal.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Rick Mayer (I believe it's Bill Mayer's son) seat. I was sold on him after a phone call discussing my issues after just a short time in the saddle of my '04 RT. In the low position I slide toward the tank, but in the medium position my feet barely touch by the toes (I'm 5'8" , 170, with about a 31" inseam). Rick has had multiple RTs and is very familiar with all the nuances. His shop is just a few hours from me so after the Sierrras warm up, I'll be heading over there for the personal touch. I've tried the RDL, but they spread my legs too far to be comfortable on the ground.

Just took delivery of my first Rick Mayer saddle (2008 RT). They had a 50% off promotion going over the winter, so it was surprisingly affordable. Craftsmanship looks top-notch, and it fits me perfectly.

I had a Rick Mayer on my R1200St - it was a pretty good seat. I had a horrible time with the delivery of it but once I got it, I thought it was nice.

I'm looking to order my first RDL! 1 question - All leather? or vinyl?

Also - if anyone is interested in the Bill Mayer - he is running a special of 50% off for the first 10 people to finish the MS5000 and raise $500 of donations. Pretty nice deal, I think!

As already stated, everyone's butt is different.

I had a Kontour on my 97 RT and regret letting it go with the bike when I sold it.

The very best seat for my Iron Butt. Cool in summer, nice grip, waterproof (waters drains out of fabric) and I rode it on the IBA ride to Bend, OR. 1,066 miles in the middle of July out west and never even thought about the seat.

Not for everyone, but no seat is.

I've owned a RDL, Corbin, Sargent and many really bad stock BMW seats.

Your mileage WILL vary. :wave:

Bill_Walker
The advantage in buying a Sargent or Corbin, as opposed to one of the custom-built seats like the Mayers or Russell, is you don't have to send your current seat in to be re-done. Even in the best circumstances you'll be waiting a few weeks without a seat for a custom-made item.

Unless, of course, you live close enough to one of the custom builders to do a ride-in. I highly recommend doing this if you can. I did a ride-in to Bill Mayer Saddles for my V-Strom. Rocky built up the new saddle and had me take it for a test ride. Then more changes were made based on my comments, and I tested it again. Only then was the saddle cover finally fitted. That saddle has been awesome.

My RT came with a Bill Mayer Saddle on it already. It's not perfect for me, but it's pretty good, and in 50,000 miles it hasn't bothered me enough to make me get it redone.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone just bought the BMW Comfort Seat?? i am curious to see how it stacks up... as i'm a proponent of keeping things factory....

Archived