IGNORED

using broken in-ear speakers

johnlt

I have two sets of Az Al’s in-ear speakers. One is the earlier version where it is “wire” all the way to the earplug where the speaker actually exists. The other is the newer version where the speakers are actually at the “Y” and air tubes run to the ear plugs. If you remove the soft protection around the “Y”, you’ll see the actually two separate speakers. They are a potted assembly about ¼” square by 1” long. One of my speakers went tango uniform and the only option from Al’s supplier is for a complete new system which include “both” new speakers. This cost ~$150. I decided to go back and just use my wired units which work fine. As a backup, I cut off the bad speaker and then routed a very short tube segment into a 1/8” plastic T I got for less than a buck at Ace Hardware. Wa La, it works great. I realize that I may be listening to only one channel of stereo but I cannot tell the difference. I’ve used it on several rides now using my Zumo for my sound source of mp3’s, XM, GPS guidance, and cell phone. I cannot tell any difference and consider it an excellent backup. The volume is great and the fidelity seems just as good. Thought I’d share

IMG_0423-L.jpg

I have two sets of Az Al’s in-ear speakers. One is the earlier version where it is “wire” all the way to the earplug where the speaker actually exists. The other is the newer version where the speakers are actually at the “Y” and air tubes run to the ear plugs. If you remove the soft protection around the “Y”, you’ll see the actually two separate speakers. They are a potted assembly about ¼” square by 1” long. One of my speakers went tango uniform and the only option from Al’s supplier is for a complete new system which include “both” new speakers. This cost ~$150. I decided to go back and just use my wired units which work fine. As a backup, I cut off the bad speaker and then routed a very short tube segment into a 1/8” plastic T I got for less than a buck at Ace Hardware. Wa La, it works great. I realize that I may be listening to only one channel of stereo but I cannot tell the difference. I’ve used it on several rides now using my Zumo for my sound source of mp3’s, XM, GPS guidance, and cell phone. I cannot tell any difference and consider it an excellent backup. The volume is great and the fidelity seems just as good. Thought I’d share

IMG_0423-L.jpg

Glad you found a way to keep listening to your Lawrence Welk albums. :lurk:

markgoodrich

I find it best to listen to that polka music you like so much, John, by cutting the tubes on both my Al earphones.

Archived