IGNORED

Helmet storage solutions

Malthound

I'm looking for the options available for helmet storage on my '04 RT. Both the wife and I have Shoei helmets (Neotech and RF1000) with the Sena BT system. Needless to say, just leaving them on the bike is kind of out of the question. My previous bike had a Givi topcase that held one helmet and the side cases could hold one as well. I was a little surprised to find that none of the cases on the RT could hold a helmet, and I'd really like to keep from having to carry them around with me, thus exposing them to further risk of getting banged into something, or worse, dropped. What do most of you do?

Obviously this will not due for times when rain or morning dew would be an issue, but I've found this system very handy. On my RT I had the Bungie Buddies attached to the underside of the tail box.

Ready for use.

orig.jpg

Way better than hanging/sitting it on the bike only to have it fall off and bounce on the concrete at the gas station or restaurant.

orig.jpg

When added security is desired.

orig.jpg

I like the tip I got from this forum and its free and the helmet is upright. Open the side case, put the chin strap in the case, close it and lock the case. It doesn't hurt the case and the helmet is secure. Was told you can lock up to 4 helmets.

This is what I use...http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-159-helmetlok-quikloop.aspx

go near the bottom of the page and see the coiled cable. I like the carabiner 4 digit lock. I run it through the top of the luggage rack on back. I can chain two helmets upright sitting on my seat. Not fool proof as cable cutters would easily defeat.

I'm looking for the options available for helmet storage on my '04 RT. Both the wife and I have Shoei helmets (Neotech and RF1000) with the Sena BT system. Needless to say, just leaving them on the bike is kind of out of the question. My previous bike had a Givi topcase that held one helmet and the side cases could hold one as well. I was a little surprised to find that none of the cases on the RT could hold a helmet, and I'd really like to keep from having to carry them around with me, thus exposing them to further risk of getting banged into something, or worse, dropped. What do most of you do?

My favorite. From twisted throttle http://tinyurl.com/bpmyaku

Guest Kakugo

Two possible solutions.

First is the Helmet Guardian.

Helmet Guardian

Mine came with the luggage rack I installed on the Kawasaki. When I sold the bike I just removed the Guardian and fit it to the RT behind the license plate. Two downsides: it's pretty pricey new (and probably can be made for much less if you have access to such simple tooling as a welding machine, a drill and an angle grinder) and it's nigh on useless if the bike's wet. Still I cannot say I am dissatisfied with it.

Second is buying a simple cable lock (preferably vinyl/PVC coated) pass it around one of the RT passenger handles or luggage rack and secure your helmet through the chinbars. This one is a good example. If you get creative you can put the helmets inside garbage bags and lock them up to make the whole installation waterproof.

I use a cable like this Kabletek Flexweave.

Use a slip knot around the top of your fork, run it through your jacket, to your helmet, and then form a loop around your chin bar and padlock the cable to itself. That leaves plenty of cable length to secure more stuff (tank bag, extra helmet, etc.).

It's fairly lightweight, so it's perfect for the motorbike. It offers plenty of security - as long as you don't plan to leave it overnight in the Bronx.... The vinyl covering is top notch, so it won't scratch your helmet or paint.

not sure I understand your comment on none of the bags can hold a helmet

I had a R1100RT same bags. and except for my Extra large full face helmet I could store a helmet in all three bags

Also the sie bags for the 11XX series bikes came with three sizes of lids

city

standard

wide (or full) cannot remember what they were called

The city lids would not hold any helment

The standard bags would hold most full size helmets up to large

and the Wide would hold any helmet I had

The BMW top case will only hold full face up to a large (at least that was my experience). I use to put my wife's medium helmet in the top case and my large Arai in the side case.

I will say I did end up moving to a GIVI 52 maxi top case so I would have room for gloves, and jackets.

If the 1100RT bags won't hold a helmet, maybe it's time for an upgrade :) My 2011 RT holds my XXL Arai full-face if I get it in the right position. Of course the bag has to be nearly empty first so on a trip it's a no-go. My Givi V46 top case holds my lid, too, BTW.

On a trip I use a short length of cable with a re-settable combo padlock. Always works for me, but I understand the concern about your lids with the electronics. Almost irresistible to the scum that's out there today. Best store the lids out of sight.

pete

Hey! Spring may finally have arrived here in the NE. Sunny and 56F!! Let's go ridin'.

Mrs. Caddis

When our cases are too full to put the helmet in, we remove the bluetooth module and secure that in the case and then either secure the helmet as described above or set it on the ground next to the bike.

I like the tip I got from this forum and its free and the helmet is upright. Open the side case, put the chin strap in the case, close it and lock the case. It doesn't hurt the case and the helmet is secure. Was told you can lock up to 4 helmets.

I've been doing this for years. Each hard case can easily secure 2 helmets without extra parts, locks or keys.

It doesn't get any simpler.

It sounds like some people can put their helmets inside the side case, but my Neotech (size M) won't go without squeezing it, even without the bluetooth attached and I'd rather not scuff and scratch the helmet - at least not for awhile... I really like the cable lock solutions though. I'll be getting one shortly. I think I'll also keep my helmet bag in the side case to protect it in the instances that really require my locking it inside.

Your bags are different than those on my R12RT, but you might try opening the chin bar before storing your helmet. My 7 5/8 Schuberth C2 is too wide to fit in the side bag with the bar closed, but fits easily with it raised. Worth a try.

8621047159_4310128448_n.jpg

20130405_091715

His Neotec has a larger shell, being a modular with sunscreen built in.

Having said that, my Neotec (size L) fits easily in the regular 49L BMW topcase on my hexhead RT.

His Neotec has a larger shell, being a modular with sunscreen built in.

I kinda doubt that. I realize the shell sizes vary between manufacturers, but my 7 5/8 C2 (also modular with built in sunscreen) would translate to an extra large Neotec, one shell size and two head sizes larger than Malthound's medium helmet.

Probably a moot point anyway, since our side cases have different shapes.

Opening the chin bar for storage was just an idea I picked up online and passed along to help Malthound "think different".

Archived