IGNORED

Headlight Protector and Windshield Re-Hab

hopz

Got my '99 R1100S back and happy about that.

Mechanically and overall cosmetically it is in great shape. I think the "weak spots" if any are the Aero Flow headlight protector and the windshield. Both are beginning to show some age and wear.

Any tricks to bring back the clarity, and appearance of these plastic items aside from placing an order for new ones?

The windshield outer coating has begun to deteriorate.

First thought: Contact Aero Flow. They would be most familiar with restoration techniques for their plastics. I'm not sure what sort of coating they use on their shields.

My go-to solution for windshields has always been Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish (#17 and #10). You might want to pick up a supply of elbow grease while you are shopping.

Maybe one of the automotive headlight restoration kits would work?

Auto headlight lenses are polycarbonate ("Lexan") I believe so if your windshield is polycarb that should work well. You'll need a power drill to spin the buffer that comes in the kit.

If it's acrylic ("Plexiglas") that might not be the stuff to use. I've used Novus polishes with good results. They make three levels of scratch-removing power, depending on the severity of the scratches. The finest is a light-duty cleaner/polish for general cleaning. You could also try Plexus if the scratches aren't too deep.

As suggested above, pick up a large size elbow grease while you are out shopping :)

pete

First thought: Contact Aero Flow. They would be most familiar with restoration techniques for their plastics. I'm not sure what sort of coating they use on their shields.

My go-to solution for windshields has always been Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish (#17 and #10). You might want to pick up a supply of elbow grease while you are shopping.

Maybe one of the automotive headlight restoration kits would work?

I've been using these products for over 30 years and can attest to the need for elbow grease. I've removed some pretty significant scratches and hazing, but I've found that the type of plastic plays a big role. There are some shields that would not clear up no matter how much I rubbed.

Be careful with the coating coming off. I found on one shield that trying to fix it made it worse so I just lived with it.

Peter Parts

I use the headlight protector only for long trips where the risk/benefits/costs statistics justify the costs of loss of light when needed. The velcro dots on mine seem to be pretty durable.

Not expensive to replace the little R1100S screens with aftermarket units. I use a 26 incher I made myself which adds emphasis to the "tourer" side of my sport-tourer S (as well as raised and rotated bars - needs no bar-backs to do this).

Meguire Plastx does miracles for windscreens and plastic lenses on cars. Trick is to use little and rub with your palm (which puts the right contact oomph into the job). Abrasive action doesn't get going till surface feels fairly dry - so use little.

Ben

New screens, especially non-Aeroflow- not that expensive. If its badly beat with stone chips, etc, I'd just buy a new one. Minor surface scratches might be polishable but plastics have a life- UV and debris damage them all to death sooner or later.

Not personally used Aeroflow so have no idea how good their plastics and coatings are compared to others. Mine on various bikes are mostly V Streams and being coated polycarb are pretty tough, for plastic.

My SO rides an R1100S I farkled for touring and fit for her. Sweet bike- no hot rod and the motor is bit coarse compared to an R1200 but a nice size and decent handling though I was surprised at how badly its handling changed compared to other models when the tires square off a bit- maybe the short wheelbase effect? She's never seen anything else in the BMW line that floats her boat though I've been kidding her about making an S1000RR into an old style dustbin fairing, higher bars model so she can have the fastest bike in the club.

Archived