IGNORED

Modular helmet bluetooth

vincent52100

vincent52100

Hi All. I'm looking at getting a bluetooth set to use with my cell phone so that when my wife calls I don't have to pull over, get the dang thing out of my pocket and answer. I have a HJC Modular Helmet and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to what to use? Looking for something inexpensive.

The Sena SMH-5 headset is one of the most popular bluetooth systems. A quick Google search shows that lots of places have the single person setup on sale right now for less that $100. Hard to beat that. I don't know how well it works with HJC, but it should work with just about any helmet, including modulars.

szurszewski

We have the Sena installed in a couple of different modular helmets - currently a Scorpion and a Nolan - and it works great.

I did both those installs as well as installing other systems in our previous helmets - both Symax - and they all install pretty much the same, so you should have no problems putting a Sena in your HJC.

The only pertinent difference between our two different previous systems and the Sena was the diameter of the speakers - the Sena were a bit larger so in one of the helmets (the Scorpion, I think) I had to trim out a bit of the foam surrounding the standard helmet speaker location. Not complicated at all.

Hi Vincent,

I've got a Sena unit as well. We moved from an Autocom for the BT wireless and we're very happy with the setup. I have a Zumo that I loaded my music into on an sd card so I could eliminate the ipod. I bridge my phone to the Zumo which basically handles everything. We ride 2 up a good bit and the rider/passenger communication works well for us. I have both modular and open faced Nolans with a unit in each. Both were easy to install. My wife uses hers to BT to her ipod so we can listen to our own music separately. Good luck.

+1 on the Sena. I have it installed on my Shoei Neotech and it's great. It pairs with my iPhone at the touch of a button and the intercom works great too, even at high speeds.

Is there a BT unit that would have just the speakers to listen to music over BT? I do not care much for the full headset with microphone.

szurszewski
Is there a BT unit that would have just the speakers to listen to music over BT? I do not care much for the full headset with microphone.

There are lots of bluetooth headphone options out there - in and over ear - and I'm sure you could use those. Another option, for not much more money (or even less money, depending on which BT headphones you look at it ) would be to buy the Sena and the "modular base" which allows you to plug in different speakers and mics, and then just not plug in a mic.

Benefits of this route would be helmet mounted control for your music (and the big Sena knob, for me, works really well) and the ability to add the mic/intercom/phone in the future if you ever wanted to.

josh

If you go with the a Sena system, check out both the SMH-5 and SMH-10 before you decide. My wife and I have SMH-10 systems and really like them. In my previous post, it is actually the SMH-10 that I meant to say was the most popular bluetooth system.

The SMH-5 is newer, and I'm not really sure what the differences are between the two. But I think the SMH-5 is less expensive, has a shorter communication range (which probably won't matter for your use), and perhaps fewer features. It might actually be the better choice for your use, but be sure to compare the two.

Archived