IGNORED

r1200rt windshield

meir peles

hellow,

i have changed my original windshield to a Ceebaylis one and it is a new experience! now I can enjoy the radio and mp3. I ask myself how is it that b.m.w. does not produce a normal and enjoying windshield and I have to replace it in order to enjoy riding?

Hi,

you are right but a backrest can help it. their windshield is awful, especially for high riders. They have to know it and improve it. I'm trying to reach them and dont know how.

Meir, the windshield issue is not unique to the RT. I have had to replace the shield on a Triumph Trophy (1998) and a Honda ST1300 (Pan Euro) before my R1200RT. The windshield aftermarket is a big business, as is the seat aftermarket. Can the manufacturers do better. Sure, if they wanted to and every rider was the same size and shape. But I'm afraid the stylists and accountants win the argument with the engineers, so the windshield is made to look good and the seat is made to be inexpensive and also look good. In fact, most seats are pretty comfortable for a little while, like in the showroom or on a test ride. After a hour you discover the truth.

A new windshield and new seat are expenses many of us endure to make the bike "right".

pete

I rode my R1100RT for over 125,000 miles with the stock seat and stock windshields, including 1,000+ mile days.

When I bought my FJR I longed for that quiet pocket of air that I had enjoyed on my RT. A Cee Bailey reverse curve redirected the wind flow just enough to eliminate the wind noise problem I had with the stock one. If I hadn't spent so many miles on the RT I might have found the stock FJR acceptable.

I rode my R1100RT for over 125,000 miles with the stock seat and stock windshields, including 1,000+ mile days.

Me, too, although I changed the windshield on my R100RS because I couldn't see under it to see the clock/voltmeter.

Much todoo about nothing IMHO and I'm changing neither on my bike.

Afternoon meir peles

I don't know how fast you guys ride in Israel but if you ride fast with that larger windshield up you will eventually break the arms on the windshield lift mechanism.

You might look for a set of aftermarket before yours break as I would imagine the shipping to your country could take a while. (try Beemer BoneYard)

hellow,

i have changed my original windshield to a Ceebaylis one and it is a new experience! now I can enjoy the radio and mp3. I ask myself how is it that b.m.w. does not produce a normal and enjoying windshield and I have to replace it in order to enjoy riding?

How did you measure? How do you know if you need a +1 or +2 or whatever...?

... their windshield is awful, especially for high riders. They have to know it and improve it...

Meir,

The R1200RT windshield is actually not too bad, i.e. much better than the R11xxRT models. I'm 6'2" (188 cm), so it comes in a bit low for me at fully raised and wind turbulence tends to land on top of my helmet. However, for a 5'5" to 6' (165-183 cm) tall guy, I'd expect it be fine. In fact, anyone under 5'7" might have to cut the OEM shield down lower just to get sufficient air on hot days. I purchased a Cee Baileys shield, I think +2" high and +1" wide if I recall correctly, and I have to just about stand on the pegs to get any air in the full-down position. It's too tall.

All of which is to say, BMW is designing their shield to an average height. They can't fit everyone.

The seat on the other hand; ** FAIL **. I know some ride with the OEM seat and enjoy it, but I just don't see how.

It's not unusual to have to customize a motorcycle to fit, and that's reasonable too, as we are "wrapping ourselves around the bike" when we ride it. "Fit" on a motorcycle is different for each individual, as we all come in different shapes and sizes. If you want "universal fit", get an automobile. :grin:

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Scott

All of which is to say, BMW is designing their shield to an average height. They can't fit everyone.

AND, the average German isn't as tall as the average American.

Nevertheless, I'm 6'3" and can raise my OE RT shield until it interferes with my vision, so where the problem lies is a mystery. If you're looking THROUGH a windscreen you're doing it wrong.

As Scott said "The R1200RT windshield is actually not too bad..."

I have no experience with previous BMW models but the 'shield on my 2011 RT is the best OE unit I've experienced. That includes a Concours C10 (help!), a'98 Trophy (just awful), an '03 ST1300 (fair, but pretty good with a Laminar Lip on it), and FJR (fairly quiet but not much protection). Maybe the extra "ears" on the camhead RT windshield work. So it could be even better, I think, but I'll take it as it is.

You want near-perfect quiet and protection? Get a car.

pete

my stock windshield brackets have made it sence 05 with a large areoflow screen. I do 100 to 125 when I get a wild hair..

HELLOW PETE,

I DON'T NEED A CAR, THE CEEBAYLIS' WINDSHIELD GIVES ME THE WIND PROTECTION I NEED. IT ALSO ENABLES ME TO HEAR THE RADIO AND MP3

WHILE RIDING 130/140 K/H. I'M 1.83 M AND USE THE HIGH SEAT POSITION.

DON'T YOU THINK B.M.W. CAN PRODUCE SUCH A WINDSHIELD?

MEIR.

Why can't they give it as an accessory, as the low seat?

Why they don't communicate with their customers about such problems?

I ride 140 k/h and I hope the high windshield is strong enough.

Have you heard about such cases?

Morning meir peles

Yes, more than a few broken arms. 3 riders that I ride with have broken theirs.

Usually high speeds coupled with wind turbulence from trucks or other vehicles cause the breakage. But also rough roads or high buffeting winds can also cause breakage.

Thank's for the information.

I'll be careful about it.

I had r1150rt before, with high Ceebaylis' windshield for

3 years and with no problems.

regards,

Meir.

Hi Pete,

I agree about the windshield, it looks fine...

I'm not sure B.M.W. knows they disappoint their customers with this good looking windshield. We've paid a high price for their high quality product, I wish Icould deliver them this message.

At least they can offer a higher windshield for tall riders who use the high position seat.

Archived