IGNORED

RT windshield arms - aftermarket?

macx

Atnotmuch over 35k I noticed my windshield starting to shake at road speeds, and it has gradually gotten worse to now, at 43k, I thouht I maybe had a broken arm.

After a close look with the windshield up and some wiggling and feeling the arm pivot points, it seems the tops of the arms where the pins go thru have enough slop to allow the windshield to visibly shake.

I suppose there's no way to fix that except new arms?

And I suppose the stock arms are as expensive (if not more) than the supposedly better quality aftermarket arms?

And I don't move the windshield very often unless I get into some rain or some really cold spots.

Being the arms are plastic, I would imagine the holes in them are wearing as opposed to the metal pins.

And I don't suppose anyone's tried a less expensive fix such as drilling out the holes in the arms just a slight bit and bushing them with soft metal bushings or something?

I went into Beemer boneyard and saw a good pic of the arms.

I don't know what the pin diameter is at the top of the upper arms

where mine is getting sloppy, but there are several types of lubricated bronze or brass sleeve bushings on McMaster Carr that are pretty thin wall and can be had a heck of a lot less than stock or aftermarket arms.

All it would take would be to accurately drill out the holes in the arms a few thou and press those bushings in and they should last as long as the pins, plus there's lube in the bushing material.

Here's just an example

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleeve-bearings/=ma571v

Anybody know for sure a precise diameter of those pins?

Only takes a few minutes to remove and measure but those stock arms on an RT are pot metal and infamous for a moderate level of failures if ridden with a large windscreen, especially when high winds and bumpy roads are added to the mix.

The aftermarket arms need one to transer the stock bushing, I believe, and fitting a bronze might be an improvment- but I haven't read nor do I know of anyone else who has reported failure or wear of the stock plastic ones.

When I got home from work today I raised the windshield and was able to get a dial caliper on the end of one of the pins. It measured .34 and change, which is 9 mm.

I didn't mean to replace the bushings at each end of the pin, I meant to drill out the pin hole in the arm and snug fit an oilite bronze bushing in the enlarged pin hole that the pin would ride in.

I do ride on a rough road to work and back, 30 miles worth each way, but I have and intend to keep the stock windshield and don't ride with it up more than just a little unless I get caught in rain or other reason to raise it for more protection.

I can sure see the aluminum arms would be stronger, and they're probly worth the price, but the bushings can be had for very little money and it wouldn't take much to install them.

Gonna think on it a bit more but just might try it.

Archived