IGNORED

Initial Shoei Neotec Review

Exploreinman

Exploreinman

I purchased the Neotec and put 600 miles on it on a two day ride earlier this week. My initial impressions are: very quiet , great airflow cooling, high quality fit & finish.

+1

I've been commuting in it most of the winter. They have really improved the pinlock insert from the old one I had. Two thumbs up.

+1

I love my helmet - the only quibble might be that some extra attention is required for me to ensure that the chin bar is properly latched down. This may have something to do with the fact that I have a Sena intercom and the mic boom could be interfering. Otherwise, the removable/washable liner is hugely welcome in the summer to reduce the funk factor and it's very comfortable with much better ventilation than my previous RF1000.

Overall, I very much like my Neotec. Some very small things that I wish were different.

The extension on the bottom lip of the visor to be used to open it, is only on the left hand side. Sometimes my right hand is free when I want to open up, and on my Scorpion, both options were available.

There is no "just barely open" position. You're either closed (and it does suck in to a really closed position), or at the first detent, which is more than I want when I just want to get a little bit of airflow.

Minor quibbles, I know. Again, overall I like it very much, quiet, solid feel, good fit (for me) and well made.

I agree with the general comments here but they don't provide much perspective.

Yes the Neotec vents better than a Shoei RF but it is also a whole lot heavier- and the more you use it, the more its extra weight is noticeable. For that reason, I still use my RF a lot, especially in colder months..

Can't say I notice any big improvment in the pinlock system- evey pinlock I use (3 different helmets) works about as wel as the next. Pinlock is of course by far the best way to ensure non-fogging but has one minor drawback- if you have really sharp vision you will note it fuzzes the view jut slightly due to its texture on the screen. Many with less acute vision may not notice this at all.

The Neotec is exactly what one always gets from Shoei- excellent fit and finish that competes with anything else made- at a price less than Arai, Schubert, etc.. And you can always change the shield on a Shoei easily without any fancy fitting required as is often the case with an Arai..

I do wish Shoei would master lighter shell construction materials and start making them available. There are now several makers doing a good job with true carbon fiber (not a look alike applique) at reasonable prices and it hass the ability to deliver a Neotec-like helemet 12-14 oz lighter than what Shoei makes now....

The weight matters- in any crash G forces on ones neck are a function of total head weight- which with a Neotec is perhaps 4 lbs helmet and 10-12 lbs head. Knockig off almost a full lb can be the difference between serious injury and not...Of course, one can't give up the impact protection while trying to minimize weight..

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Any comparison to the Multitec for noise? My Multitec is uber noisy and I'm due this, maybe next, year.

I can't weigh in on the noise comparison, but given the choice between the Neo and a discounted Multi, the combination of the removable liner and especially the retractable visor made it an easy decision for me. I have, however, noticed a definite noise reduction from my original RF.

Pretty much every reviewer has called the Neotec a lot less noisey than a Multitec. The design at the neck opening has a lot more of the features that miniize noise.

I don't find my Neotec all that much diffrent than an RF for noise. Indvidual fit factors plus the bike and winscreen combo you have play a major role in perceived noise and will of course vary for each rider...

It's time for a new helmet. It's down to either a Neotec or the Schuberth C3 Pro. Just curious if any one has an opportunity to compare them. Or would care to pass on info on the C3 Pro. It seems from posted comments that folks do like the Neotec.

It's time for a new helmet. It's down to either a Neotec or the Schuberth C3 Pro.

I'm in the same situation although I've also considered the S2 and the GT Air. I'm leaning toward the C3 Pro mostly on the issue of noise.

I haven't seen any numbers for the Neotec, so an advertised 82db for the Pro is a real selling point. That's 3db less than the S2 and 2 db less than the original C3. Might not sound like a lot, but it is. Several sources list the _perceived_ difference in loudness for a 3 db change somewhere in the 20 - 23% range.

I read somewhere that a 3 db drop amounts to a .82 gain in perceived sound level. So, the 20% is probably pretty close. Then there is the price differential! I tried on a C3 and it just did not seem to fit right, have to try a C3 Pro and see if it fits any better. Probably going to come down to the Neotec with smaller cheek pads.

Paul In Australia
It's time for a new helmet. It's down to either a Neotec or the Schuberth C3 Pro.

I'm in the same situation although I've also considered the S2 and the GT Air. I'm leaning toward the C3 Pro mostly on the issue of noise.

I haven't seen any numbers for the Neotec, so an advertised 82db for the Pro is a real selling point. That's 3db less than the S2 and 2 db less than the original C3. Might not sound like a lot, but it is. Several sources list the _perceived_ difference in loudness for a 3 db change somewhere in the 20 - 23% range.

I think a very big part of the sound equation is enviroment. Tall screen , short rider, highway,backroad, hot cold etc. we are all different. Some are deaf already and the noise issue is null and void.

Pick the one that is the most comfortable at the price point you are prepared to pay. A C3Pro sounds wonderful but not if it doesnt fit as well as a Neotec or anything else.

Best regards

Paul

Archived