IGNORED

Helmet Switch Write Up

Sonor

I have just switched from a Scorpion 700 to an Arai RX-Q and here are the differences I have found so far.

While the Scorpion is much less expensive, it carries (or did at time of purchase) both Snell and DOT ratings. It has been years since I bought the helmet, but it has served me well. The visor was easily changed out with a tinted one and the swap was extremely easy. The visor has multiple positions in its movement that reassure the rider with strong, “clicks” in every position. The visor also comes treated for no fogging which truly works. Ventilation is sufficient though keeping the front facing wholes free from bugs is a bit tough and can significantly affect air flow. The padding is snug and comfortable even on long (eleven hour) rides. The noise level is a bit high so ear plugs are needed. One reason I did not purchase a new Scorpion is the new inflatable face padding. Even my Nike Air sneakers get leaks and I would not want that on a helmet. One last thought about the Scorpion, sideways head turns do not produce a great deal of head buffeting.

The Arai is DOT and Snell approved but with triple the price of the Scorpion. The outer shell is made of much different material than the Scorpion and while it is not proven to be safer, my purchase assumption is that it is safer (yeah, stupid, but there it is). The visor is difficult to change. Not only does the helmet come with a book explaining the process, it comes with a CDROM for the same effort. Noted in the book is the care and feeding of the visor, “do not use solvents to clean the visor.” Nothing like Windex is allowed on this visor. It has a cumbersome locking mechanism that is taking some getting used to. If you move the lock into a position when the visor is open, you can close it allowing for a small air gap around the visor. This is to stop fogging, which has not proven to be successful so far. I will be purchasing the anti fog stuff soon. Other than the trick to have the visor open with the lock engaged, there are no positions to hold it open. Ventilation is superior to the Scorpion. It is directed and full head. The noise level is much better than the Scorpion, no ear plugs needed but it is habit at this point so I use them for long trips. The padding that came with it was very tight on my head. I was assured that after a few wears it would conform to my head shape which it did nicely. The helmet is now comfortable. The chins strap is just a bit stiff and proves to be challenging to snap when the helmet is firmly in place. And like the Scorpion, when you turn your head there is very little head buffeting from the wind.

Is it worth the price? That is your call. I am happy I own the helmet and do feel safer whether that is due to the heuristic assumption of price, the comfort of the padding, or the little noise, or the superior fit - I am not sure.

Guest Kakugo

Twenty years ago a drunkard run a red light and sent me landing straight on my chin.

I was wearing a first generation Arai Quantum. The only physical aftermath of the accident was to my right knee (upon which Arai had no control).

I still have that helmet as a reminder why I shall always buy Arai.

Guess I need to see it on the road to be convinced. :D Hope maybe we can slip outside the county boundaries for some riding. :thumbsup:

NCS

Guess I need to see it on the road to be convinced. :D Hope maybe we can slip outside the county boundaries for some riding. :thumbsup:

NCS

Honestly, my work computer has a picture off of the BRP up near Maybry Mill and the itch is getting bad. :-)

SHARP helmet testing ratings

They give Scorpion 700 and Arai RX (not yours) 4 stars and green (very good) for head protection impact areas.

Another ARAI RX Corsair got lower marks than the Scorpion.

Eventually should test your new model.

Archived