IGNORED

The next best thing to a new set of Ohlins...

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

...is a newly-rebuilt set of Ohlins. Wow! I'd forgotten just how good they were, and hadn't realized how bad they had gotten. That "glued to the pavement" feeling is back!

Of course, my front shock had a blown seal and had lost all gas pressure. I'm kind of surprised how ridable the bike still was in that state. It definitely felt a little less stable than usual, but wasn't enough that I was sure there was a problem. Maybe my problem-denial reflex is extremely strong.

I had them rebuilt locally at Poway Motorcycle. I've forgotten who here gave me the recommendation to use them, but I'm pleased with the results, so thanks!

I've heard similar comments from folks who had their knees replaced. :D

Some day I hope to try Ohlins. Happy for you, Bill.

Bill_Walker
Some day I hope to try Ohlins. Happy for you, Bill.

I'm pretty sure you can get one for the rear of a Wee-Strom. For the fork, Race Tech might be the best bet (unless you want to fit a GSXR front end). Check the V-Strom forums. But I'll tell you what, it's a real confidence builder! Hitting bumps mid-corner becomes a non-event. I've been told by friends who've ridden behind me on both bikes that I'm faster on the RT in the twisties, even though the DL1000 is lighter and more powerful, and that's because I have more confidence in the handling.

I'm pretty sure you can get one for the rear of a Wee-Strom. For the fork, Race Tech might be the best bet (unless you want to fit a GSXR front end). Check the V-Strom forums. But I'll tell you what, it's a real confidence builder! Hitting bumps mid-corner becomes a non-event. I've been told by friends who've ridden behind me on both bikes that I'm faster on the RT in the twisties, even though the DL1000 is lighter and more powerful, and that's because I have more confidence in the handling.

This Wee has custom shocks. That was one of the draws. I'll let you know how it feels, for me, compared to stock.

That word "confidence" applies perfectly. I can attest to how worn shocks can destroy your confidence :/ Riding out and around Torrey in 2011 was no fun, because I didn't realize that they were near shot before I took off on the trip. I'd never seen shocks wear out with only 22k on the odometer on any bike I'd owned. Lesson learned.

I bet you want to ride more now :Cool:

Bill_Walker
I bet you want to ride more now :Cool:

Yep. And I just had to cancel out on the North meets South in the Middle ride because my back is messed up. Aaarrgh!

Bill_Walker
This Wee has custom shocks. That was one of the draws. I'll let you know how it feels, for me, compared to stock.

Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about that! Were they set up for somebody who weighs close to the same as you? If not, you may, at the minimum, need to adjust the preload settings. This is a pain in the butt, because it requires at least two other people to help: one to hold the bike upright while you sit on it, and one to take the sag measurements. Worst case, if your weights are far different, you may need different springs.

You know we're all waiting excitedly for your first ride report!

Archived